Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Ivy

Do I need to monitor my transmission temp?

Hello all,

I have been reading threads and talking to mechanics and I am still not sure what to do. I am pulling a Hideout 28bhs (6,726 lbs. dry weight) with a 2007 Lariat F-150 across the country. The Ford dealer tells me not to worry that these trucks transmissions do not overheat. Another local mechanic advises against using the temperature monitor that goes in the hose. Is this something you feel is necessary that I add? If so are there other options besides the in-line monitor?

Thank you!
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Hello all,

I have been reading threads and talking to mechanics and I am still not sure what to do. I am pulling a Hideout 28bhs (6,726 lbs. dry weight) with a 2007 Lariat F-150 across the country. The Ford dealer tells me not to worry that these trucks transmissions do not overheat. Another local mechanic advises against using the temperature monitor that goes in the hose. Is this something you feel is necessary that I add? If so are there other options besides the in-line monitor?

Thank you!
Short answer is Yes... I would.

Ford says the transmissions don't overheat? Do their engines not overheat either? What about if you drain the fluids out of them?? LOL

Here's the deal of monitoring the temps..... There is no "best way" to monitor the temp. There's usually a variety of test ports on the side of the transmission you could use.... There's the pan.... There's the in-line things....

It's really not important to compare temps between your vehicle and the vehicle other internet users... You could have the EXACT same truck, and one of you monitor it in the pan and the other monitor it in-line.... You'll get different results.... Even when driving in the exact same conditions...

Whats important to do is pick a place to measure, and LEARN what is normal for your vehicle under a variety of conditions... I.E. unloaded on hills... unloaded on flats..... unloaded around town/slow speeds with lots of shifting....ALL while noting ambient outside air temperature... And then knowing the same normal temps for a LOADED condition....

And then once you learn what is expected as normal under a variety of conditions... Only become alarmed when you detect ABNORMAL temperatures for the driving condition.....

I will not tow with another automatic transmission without a temp gauge.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
bsmith0404

My truck has a trans temp gauge built in, while towing I watch that gauge as closely as my tire pressures. Automatic transmissions overheat period. If everything is working right, you won't have any problems, but parts fail, pumps wear out etc. Unless you can monitor what is going on, you won't know until you burn it up and are stranded along the road somewhere.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
bobbecky

I was advised by a college automotive instructor, when we were using a 1/2 ton truck towing a 25 ft 5th wheel, (not a Keystone product), that, not only should I monitor the transmission temp, but also the differential temp. He said that under heavy towing situations with the light rearends in the 1/2 ton trucks, a lot of heat develops in both units, not just the transmissions. We upgraded trailer and truck, so we have a much heavier TV, that happens to already have a temp monitor in the transmission.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I was advised by a college automotive instructor, when we were using a 1/2 ton truck towing a 25 ft 5th wheel, (not a Keystone product), that, not only should I monitor the transmission temp, but also the differential temp. He said that under heavy towing situations with the light rearends in the 1/2 ton trucks, a lot of heat develops in both units, not just the transmissions. We upgraded trailer and truck, so we have a much heavier TV, that happens to already have a temp monitor in the transmission.
Exact reason why I not only monitor the temps, but I also added a Mag Hytek trans pan and differential cover. They hold more fluid and have the cooling fins to help dissipate heat. The loads on these two components not only from the trailer, but also from the torque produced by the diesel engine is unbelievable.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to double check this statement, but I believe that the 2007 F150 has a transmission temperature monitor capability at the OBD port. You could buy a ScanGauge and set it up to monitor the transmission temperature without doing any modifications to the transmission pan or the transmission lines. I believe that the ScanGaugeII will report transmission fluid temperature via the OBD port with a direct plug in of the system. Might save you some hassle and give you more options as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

What everybody said is good. If you have an android phone, you can pick up a Bluetooth adapter and install Torque Pro and likely monitor the temp. I just ditched mine, though, and bought a ScanGauge II which plugs into the odb port and is more reliable.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might want to double check this statement, but I believe that the 2007 F150 has a transmission temperature monitor capability at the OBD port. You could buy a ScanGauge and set it up to monitor the transmission temperature without doing any modifications to the transmission pan or the transmission lines. I believe that the ScanGaugeII will report transmission fluid temperature via the OBD port with a direct plug in of the system. Might save you some hassle and give you more options as well.
I use a ScanGauge II to monitor the transmission temp on my 2008 F350, so it definitely works with some Ford vehicles. If you have Advance Auto stores in your area, watch for one of their $50 off any purchase over $100 deals. If I remember correctly, the ScanGauge II was around $180 before discount.

Installation took about 10 minutes to decide where to put it then route and zip tie the cable up out of the way.

Configuration took another 10 minutes. You can watch 4 parameters at a time.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
I use a ScanGauge II to monitor the transmission temp on my 2008 F350, so it definitely works with some Ford vehicles. If you have Advance Auto stores in your area, watch for one of their $50 off any purchase over $100 deals. If I remember correctly, the ScanGauge II was around $180 before discount.

Installation took about 10 minutes to decide where to put it then route and zip tie the cable up out of the way.

Configuration took another 10 minutes. You can watch 4 parameters at a time.
Good tip on the coupon. Camping World has them for $127 right now too.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
DiverB

I'll throw my .02 in worth here. EDGE Products makes a nice all in one monitor that plugs into the OBDII port and is user friendly and has a lot of nice features. I drove my truck stock for two weeks to see what my normal trans and diff temperatures were while NOT towing. I then towed my trailer 200 miles and recorded the temps of both the trans/rear diff to see what the difference between normal and towing.

Then once I had the stock figures, I added my aftermarket deep tranny pan, auxiliary tranny oil cooler, ect. Now when towing I can monitor all my temps and know they are within a safe operating range and when I'm pulling a long grade and I begin to see the temps rise, I know where and when to become concerned. General rule of thumb for tranny temps is normally about 100 degrees above the ambient temp.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Western Traveler

Yes, Scanguage 11,
Love it, monitors Ford vehicle DELTAS through the OBD port as John mentioned. Attached is a link with many of the codes though many things are already programmed in.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...cific-xgauges/

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #12
vicali

Another vote for SGII; load it up with the xgauge features..
I monitor my trans temp to a tenth of a degree, drives my DW nuts.. haha
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #13
Ivy

Thank you for all the information!

Wow guys I knew I had come to the right spot for some information!
I didn't know about being able to just plug into the OBD port. That is defiantly the way I want to go. Headed to Camping World now to check out the Scanguage 11.

I can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

WELL JOHN YOU BEAT ME TOO IT!The transmission temp is monitored on that ford so the scanner plugged in will give you the data you desire. I use my snap on modis when i tow and can momitor everything in the tcm and ecm. the Modis is a tad bit of an overkill price wise but the any obd scanner with live data stream will work.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
GMcKenzie

I had a bad time with the SGII. Seems mine drew a fair chunk of power when the truck was off. Killed my batteries (2) over a few days. Took the dealer to chase the issue down as I couldn't figure it out and never thought the guage was the culprit.

I may have had a bad unit.

I don't have the issue with my Edge CTS.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I had a bad time with the SGII. Seems mine drew a fair chunk of power when the truck was off. Killed my batteries (2) over a few days. Took the dealer to chase the issue down as I couldn't figure it out and never thought the guage was the culprit.

I may have had a bad unit.

I don't have the issue with my Edge CTS.
I was wondering about the power draw, and if it shuts off when the key is off. I'll have to monitor mine to see how it acts. Thanks for the heads-up.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I was wondering about the power draw, and if it shuts off when the key is off. I'll have to monitor mine to see how it acts. Thanks for the heads-up.
Mine was drawing almost a 1/2 amp with the key off. I'm pretty sure mine was defective and never chased it further as the Edge box does more for me.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Mine was drawing almost a 1/2 amp with the key off. I'm pretty sure mine was defective and never chased it further as the Edge box does more for me.
It may have been a bad guage. Jtyphoid has this setup in his truck and I don't recall him ever mentioning anything about battery drain when he was showing me how it worked for him. Pretty neat application to monitor and reset codes without any hassle. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had any dead battery issues with the Scanguage II ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
440justin

I have been using a Scangauge II in two different trucks and never had a battery drain issue. One 04 Silverado and now in a 12 F150. If I was in the market again I would also consider the edge product, but I do like the small size of the scangauge, it fits nicely on top of the steering column.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
BirchyBoy

I received my new ScanGauge II and got it setup. Took about 3 minutes to enter the XGauge parameters for the transmission temp. Don't have a great place to mount it other on the bottom edge of the dash bezel, right in front of the transmission gear indicator. Works great so far.
RIP Birch (pitbull)