Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Made the switch to 3500

Well after years of towing with a 2500 I made the switch to a 3500 DRW. I had been watching this truck for a while and it wasn't moving. Same year and mileage as my 2500, but is an LTZ vs my LT. That added a lot of extras including leather and rear entertainment system for the kids. The difference in book value of the trucks was $6,500, but I got it for $2,500, so hard to turn it down.

I was feeling some buyers remorse as I drove off the lot since I really loved the look and performance of my 2500. Then I hooked up to our 5er today, no more buyers remorse. Now I understand what all of your DRW people have been talking about. I still like the looks of a SRW truck better, but with retirement right around the corner and plans for a lot of RVing miles, I'm happy I made the switch.

For anyone else out there debating on pulling a heavy 5er with a 2500, I did it for years and will not tell you that you shouldn't or can't. The trucks are very capable as long as you can stay within (or very close to...as some will argue) weight limits, but there is definitely something to be said about a DRW truck.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Congrats, sounds like a great deal and a no brainer

The more you drive under the different conditions the better your decision will look

Not to stir everyone up again but these 2500's are not the recommended TV for these heaver 5th wheels let alone Raptor TH's. I think this forum has educated many as to the calculations and weight limits of the various TV's and trailers. From recent posts it seems like when individuals get the opportunity they are upgrading their TV's to a better match of their trailers for now and in the future. This is what Forums are all about, making individuals aware, final decision as to comfort level/risk is up to each individual. Just my 2 cents
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
bsmith0404

To be honest, the tires where my biggest reason for changing. I was within a couple hundred pounds of max payload on my rear tires. Just like on my RV I prefer more breathing room than that, especially when traveling long distances in hot climates. Moving to NM soon and most of our traveling will be in TX, NM, AZ. Heat is hard on tires, combine that with max payload and I'm just asking for a failure. I never had any concerns that my truck could handle the weight and never felt like the truck was overloaded, but after towing with a DRW.....well, you don't know what you don't know.

Now I just have to get used to the longer TV, changes everything especially on backing. My timing is all off! I felt like an idiot trying to back the trailer in, looked like I had never backed a trailer before

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Javi

Yep, it's difficult to really "get it" until you've pulled a big trailer with a dually... just different

The backing and the swing will come after you drive it awhile, just go slow till then.

I can't wait to get back into a DRW truck, I just need someone to take this F-250 off my hands and I'll never look back.

Congrats on swapping up..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Now all of the work begins. I have to install my wiring harness inside the bed. If you don't have one of these, definitely get one. About $25, has a T connector on one end that plugs into your main line, the other end mounts inside the truck bed, no more dropping the cable over the tailgate. Removed that from my last truck before I sold it along with my Mag Hytec trans and diff covers. I really hate messing with transmission fluid and gear oil! Maybe I'll go mow the grass.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Now all of the work begins. I have to install my wiring harness inside the bed. If you don't have one of these, definitely get one. About $25, has a T connector on one end that plugs into your main line, the other end mounts inside the truck bed, no more dropping the cable over the tailgate. Removed that from my last truck before I sold it along with my Mag Hytec trans and diff covers. I really hate messing with transmission fluid and gear oil! Maybe I'll go mow the grass.
Unless I am not following you on my 3500HD there was a special cable coiled up and stuffed up into the frame just behind the cab for a plug to be installed in the bed, only needed the female connector mounted in bed of truck. My connector was mounted by the shop to the bed liner. On my 2500HD with sprayed on linner a separate bracket was screwed on in the bed.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 05-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I'll check up underneath, I think that is the camper package that adds that wiring harness. On my 2500 I just bought a harness at autozone, unplug the factory harness from the rear plug, plug the T in and run the other end up into the box. drilled a 1 1/8" hole in the side of the box and screwed it into place. Not difficult, about a 30 min job. The trans pan and diff cover easy as well, just sucks.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

The backing and the swing will come after you drive it awhile, just go slow
Good to know, as I get older going slower comes much much easier

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Ive seen that connector set up before. Its pretty slick and Id like one. Do you have a name or part number or where you got it? Thanks
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
R JOURNY

Thumbs up

I have a 3500, but it is a SRW, not a dually. IMHO, it's the best of both worlds!

2013 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
SRW Crew Cab LOADED
6.7 Cummins DieseL 3:73
R JOURNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Ive seen that connector set up before. Its pretty slick and Id like one. Do you have a name or part number or where you got it? Thanks
The one I have was purchased at Autozone. It is a Curt P/N 56070. It is a bit more expensive than I remembered, $125. Glad I pulled it out of my last truck!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE