Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
villui

kitchen faucet water filter

Anyone has one installed and if so what brand did you use? Trying to avoid bringing cases of water. I have a 301BQ model .Don't know if the kitchen sink faucets vary.
villui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
GaryWT

We just put a carbon filter out on the hose and bring the bottled water. Have thought about getting a filter water pitcher but the bottles work well for us.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

We use a Pur faucet mounted filter and change the cartridge when we winterize. Bottled water while on the road.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
cabinfever

After our first season and running into some sediment we are going to a two filter system with a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter that attach at the CG hose bib.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
trackstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by villui View Post
Anyone has one installed and if so what brand did you use? Trying to avoid bringing cases of water. I have a 301BQ model .Don't know if the kitchen sink faucets vary.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-Ta...l_mb_hu_m_1_dp

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
villui

Thanks everyone. I was hoping to hear that a filter install of some type would eliminate need to bring bottled water. Looks like I'll get the camco and bottles.
villui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstand View Post
That's the exact same one I use. Works very well.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
After our first season and running into some sediment we are going to a two filter system with a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter that attach at the CG hose bib.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm
If you do something like this you can forget the water bottles. Your water will be as pure as anything you get in a bottle. Easy solution. We used it for years while full-timing and it worked like a charm. You can get a variety of second filters depending on your need. The folks at rvwaterfilterstore are full-timers and know their business. Give them a call and leave the bottles at home!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Does the RV not currently have a water filter? Most come with a filter in place already.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
trackstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Does the RV not currently have a water filter? Most come with a filter in place already.
Really, I think You are wrong. please post a link to show this.

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
cabinfever

No filter on mine. Also, the Camco 40043 does not work very well. It is only a 100 micron filter. It allowed a bunch of sediment from a CG we were at last year into the system. That is why we are going to the 2 filter system with a 1 micron rating on both the sediment and carbon filter. After the initial dual canister cost, not too bad for a season.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The last new RV I have bought with a water filter as "standard" equipment was a 1968 Airstream. It had an Everpure water filtration system installed on the cold water faucet in the kitchen. In both my "recent model" Keystone models, a 2011 Springdale and a 2014 Cougar, there wasn't even an option of getting a water filter from the factory. Of course any dealership will be happy to install one for additional charges, but very few, if any Keystone RV's come "standard" with a water filter installed.

I know many people feel the need to have "clean" water for drinking, and I wouldn't criticize anyone for their desires, but I have to question how we ever managed for the past 60+ years with city water and/or well water and no filter at home. I'm not trying to minimize the desire, but after a lifetime of "drinking from the garden hose" and believing in "chlorine to safely protect my health", I have to wonder how we make it without cases of plastic bottles filled with "unknown" water from WalMart to stay healthy while camping...... If you've kept a few of those plastic bottles around after they are empty and stored them in the sunlight, you'll notice that they smell remarkably like the local dump when they are warm and in an enclosed area. Are those plastic bottles really any safer for our health than the garden hose? I well remember the scares a couple of years ago with BPA, PBDE and a host of other chemical agents found in plastics. And, <shudder> what about the Styrofoam cup we pour hot coffee into every day? Styrene is leached into the coffee. Styrene is a potent neurotoxin that can cause significant problems in some people. So, is the water really the "issue" ???

I have to ask, is a "high dollar" filter system that sits stagnant and growing bacteria during the week (when not used) any safer or healthier than drinking from the garden hose? Maybe it's more a matter of "feeling safe" rather than "being safe" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

I let the brewery worry about filtration and only buy in glass bottles.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have to ask, is a "high dollar" filter system that sits stagnant and growing bacteria during the week (when not used) any safer or healthier than drinking from the garden hose? Maybe it's more a matter of "feeling safe" rather than "being safe" ????

Yep....
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstand View Post
Really, I think You are wrong. please post a link to show this.
Please review this pic of my 2006 Keystone Hornet el cheapo trailer and notice the water tap next to the kitchen faucet. It is hooked directly to a factory installed water filter under the cabinet. There wasn't many options available on this trailer, this was standard equipment. Considering how cheap it was I suspect a water filter is available on most RV's. I went and did some checking and Forest River offers water filtration as a option on some brands. Didn't see any mention of it looking at the Keystone site but I didn't look too long

Old 02-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
denverpilot

I've seen an option for the Keystones that puts a filter on the output of the pump.

The 2014 Laredo 312RE is not equipped with such.

Appreciate the thoughts everyone. I'm not squeamish about drinking my own well water or most any other water, so that's not an issue.

I was just mostly curious if anyone else had very hard water and decided it was worth doing anything about it on the TT for water system longevity. Didn't know if RV pumps and what-not have any differences that don't like hard water.

Sounds like some do; some don't. Also sounds like other than for personal preference, it's no big deal.

Again, thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
FullTimeTim

I just recently installed a reverse osmosis system under my sink as to eliminate the need for buying bottled water. I got lucky because all I had to do was remove the soap dispenser, which made a hole for the water dispenser. I bought mine at the local Costco. It was very easy to install with a little patience and basic handyman skill. It cost somewhere between $150-180 and I don't regret the purchase!

http://www.premierh2o.com/premier-53...smosis-system/
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I let the brewery worry about filtration and only buy in glass bottles.
: I like your way of thinking
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Inherentwired1

Pick up a inline filter at Lowes or your local hardware store...it is usually cheaper than the RV store, and there's no difference.
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #20
superbob

Culligan RV-EZ-3 EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System
I installed this in our trailer. It comes with a stub for winterizing and seems to work well. I bought a different tap from Lowes to match the trailer taps.
1997 Glastron Fish n Ski 3.0l
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote