Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
saxgod

Leaking Fresh Water Tank

Hi all!

Filled up the fresh water tank on my 2014 Sprinter 266RBS in preparation for our weekend dry camp. I filled it to the top and put the cap on last night. This morning I went outside and noticed a rather large wet spot underneath the drain for the fresh water. After looking more carefully I noticed a drip every 4 to 5 seconds. I wrote it off as overflow or who knows. I went back out about 8 hours later and it was still dripping. After crawling underneath the trailer I saw a huge gob of expanding foam that was dripping water. I went ahead and pulled this off to see if water was caught in the underbelly. Nope, the water is coming from the area around the fitting on the tank. Like the fitting was glued in or something. Any ideas how to to fix? My dealer is 2 hours away and I think it will probably be an easy fix. Maybe some rtv?
saxgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
therink

I believe that is a threaded plastic fitting. As long as the tank itself isn't cracked, I would drain the tank, un thread the nipple, put Teflon tape on threads, reinstall nope and rest. If that doesn't solve the problem then I would call dealer for warranty repair.
Steve.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
saxgod

Thanks I am going to try that this evening. My concern was what looks like a large round seem around where the nipple threads in. There is a lot of "super glue" looking stuff around there. Hopefully retreading with tape will fix it.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
jsmith948

Be careful - remember - tight's tight and tighter is broken. As you probably know, pipe threads are tapered. Over tightening will crack the female fitting that is glued into the tank.
I agree with the teflon tape - if that doesn't work - then I would try pipe dope, - good luck. Please let us know the outcome?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
saxgod

Leaking Fresh Water Tank

Went back under to attempt to remove and reads the threaded portion. I noticed the part that is threaded in looks cemented into the tank. Also when I looked closer there is about a 5 inch circle around where the pipe goes into the tank like a huge patch. On the edges of this "patch" is where the water seems to be weeping from. I had though about spraying some silicon spray to seal it but I think I am going to let the warranty do its job. I just hope they don't slap a bunch of rtv on there and put more foam to cover their dirty work (which looks exactly like what keystone did)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You're doing the right thing to let the warranty take care of this one. Just be sure to follow up with the dealer's method of repair and talk to them about it BEFORE they start. Explain to them that you don't want a simple "silicone job" but a proper repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote