Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
bucketman

Rigid Ride with new install

New Equal-lizer hitch. Dealer installed. This install turned my F150 into a ride like a F350 without load. I said to dealer that my truck set higher after hook up than before. Very unsatisfied with ride. Does anybody think that the install is incorrect. Hitch ratings are 1000#tw and 10000 gvw. Trailer is 600# Hitch weight and 7000 gvw Any ideas? Should I move L brackets, add washers, or reset hitch height? Dealer said without riding in vehicle that the stiffness of the ride is normal. It actually hurts my back with the jarring. I have a 3000 # boat I tow and my ride is not stiff so I think he is trying to brush it off.
So Wisconsin
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
joeyb

Doesn't sound right. You should feel more rigid but nothing like a dump truck suspension. I love my Equalizer. I followed the manual and it worked fine, may need to readjust a few times for a good WD.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

2015 Sprinter 269FWRLS FW
2015 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Platinum

Past:
2009 F250 Lariat Crew 6.4 TD 4x4
2013 Keystone Outback 292BH TT
2008 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite 26BHS TT
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2005 Coleman Bayside Pop-Up
1995 Coleman Mini-Pop
Tent, Window unit & two 5' pieces of flex duct mounted on a 5 gal bucket.
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketman View Post
New Equal-lizer hitch. Dealer installed. This install turned my F150 into a ride like a F350 without load. I said to dealer that my truck set higher after hook up than before. Very unsatisfied with ride. Does anybody think that the install is incorrect. Hitch ratings are 1000#tw and 10000 gvw. Trailer is 600# Hitch weight and 7000 gvw Any ideas? Should I move L brackets, add washers, or reset hitch height? Dealer said without riding in vehicle that the stiffness of the ride is normal. It actually hurts my back with the jarring. I have a 3000 # boat I tow and my ride is not stiff so I think he is trying to brush it off.
Something is wrong..... did it sit higher in the rear hitched up than it did unhitched?? If so, there is WAY too much weight shifted to the front....

So much so, it sounds dangerous....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
f6bits

Your setup is similar to mine, including the 1000# bars. Mine feels "heavy" while towing, but not stiff.

My front end rises about ⅜" with this setup. The rear drops an inch or so. Darned if I can't remember how many washers in the shank. I'm thinking 6 or 7.

All I can say is to read the Equalizer manual and adjust accordingly.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
bucketman

Thanks for the input. Yes the back is higher after hook up. I looked at Scott's picture and I see two main difference's in his installation than mine. I also have a 09 F150 Supercrew. My L brackets are one knotch lower and my ball is set higher than Scotts. The insert into the receiver is inverse to Scotts. I really have to jack up tongue to it's limit to get the trunnions to slip on. I can jump on the tongue and it may move 1/4 of an inch the way it is set up and I weigh 240#
So Wisconsin
Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Bob Landry

If the rear is higher hitch than unhitched, you are transfering too much weight to the front axle. Your truck's manual will tell you what the hitched height should be. If it's like other Fords, it's going to be half of the difference between hitched and unhitched. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to mess with it, and if this is the result of his initial setup, I wouldn't want him to anyway.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
labs4life

You will take more time and get it perfect where the dealer will reset it and say there u go. I also have an equal-I-zer and I moved it 3or 4 times before I got it "perfect". Take your time and read the manual. Then adjust hitch, reread manual and go for a drive at camping weight. Then you will have a better picture of what to do.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
chartrand

Sounds like an adjustment is needed. I have the equalizer as well, and check my wheel well heights before I leave on a trip. Right ow my font is 1/2 inch lower and back is also about 1/2 inch lower. It's a wonderful setup right now, and rides real nice.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
f6bits

My hitch ball is at that height because that's what it takes for my trailer to sit level. Measuring frame to ground, the front and rear ends of the trailer are within an inch of each other.

My L brackets are in that position simply because that's what it takes for the bars to be parallel to the A-Frame, as per the Equalizer instructions.

No way should your truck's rear end rise when hooked up with WD.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
bucketman

I will play with it as soon as I get my trailer again. It's in repair shop for a hot wheel. I think brake was set wrong from factory. You guys give me confidence that I can get the ride right. Thanks so much
So Wisconsin
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
BulletOwner1

Bucketman,

Was it the hitch dealer or the RV dealer? I took mine to a professional hitch dealer and they fixed and adjusted mine. Not your type of hitch, I have ezlift, but a hitch place would be the way to go. I did gather that you take measurements both front and rear tire to fender lip distance unhooked. Then hook up and measure again. The front should be just slightly higher than the rear. Less than an inch. In other words if when unloaded the distance difference front to rear is say 2 inches then after hookup the distance difference should be less than 3 inches.

When I went to the shop the first thing they did was put the trailer on a level spot and adjust the tongue so the trailer was spot on level. Measured the hitch height. Then adjusted the ball to the corresponding height and angle. Your hitch angle may be different, I don't know.

The above posts that say to read the install directions are correct. Always good to read them (first). Don't ask me how I know .

Richard

Edit: Just went to the Equalizer web site and the installation manual is there to download. Also very clear instructions. Should be a piece of cake. By the way, your dealer full of marshmallows.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Bucketman,

Was it the hitch dealer or the RV dealer? I took mine to a professional hitch dealer and they fixed and adjusted mine. Not your type of hitch, I have ezlift, but a hitch place would be the way to go. I did gather that you take measurements both front and rear tire to fender lip distance unhooked. Then hook up and measure again. The front should be just slightly higher than the rear. Less than an inch. In other words if when unloaded the distance difference front to rear is say 2 inches then after hookup the distance difference should be less than 3 inches.

When I went to the shop the first thing they did was put the trailer on a level spot and adjust the tongue so the trailer was spot on level. Measured the hitch height. Then adjusted the ball to the corresponding height and angle. Your hitch angle may be different, I don't know.

The above posts that say to read the install directions are correct. Always good to read them (first). Don't ask me how I know .

Richard

Edit: Just went to the Equalizer web site and the installation manual is there to download. Also very clear instructions. Should be a piece of cake. By the way, your dealer full of marshmallows.
The hitched height difference between front and rear is irrelevant. First, the rear is almost always going to be lower, but more important, is that the rear measurement has nothing to do with adjusting any hitch. The purpose of WD is not to level the TV or adjust the height of the rear, it's to replace weight to the front axle. If there is a hitch manufacturers that even talks about the rear height in their installation instructions, I would like to see it. I've never seen one so far. Get the front right and let the rear take care of itself.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
ewkearns

Bottom line.... Equal-I-Zer has a very good and concise manual.... a la the cookbook style. Follow their instructions and you should be fine.....

The only storm clouds on the horizon are the following tools:

TOOLS NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION
The following tools will allow you to install the hitch properly.
1-1/8” Box-end wrench (Shank Bolts)
1-1/8” Socket wrench (Shank Bolts)
3/4” Box-end wrench (Link Plates and L-brackets)
3/4” Socket wrench (Link Plates and L-brackets)
5/8” Socket or box-end wrench (Angle Set Bolt)
Torque wrench capable of 320 Ft-lbs of torque. (Shank Bolts)
Torque wrench capable of 75 Ft-lbs of torque. (Sway Bracket Assembly)

Recommended tools for installing the Hitch Ball:
1-7/8” Thin-wall socket (available from Progress Mfg. Inc.)
Torque Wrench capable of 430 Ft-lbs of torque (or higher if hitch
ball manufacturer specifies.)

Most folks don't have some of the larger wrenches, sockets, or HD torque wrench......
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
BulletOwner1

Bob,

I stand summarily chastised. The tech I had do mine did check that distance though. I think the theory is that when all is said and done, starting with a level trailer and pickup unhooked, that hooked up ready to go the rear of the pickup should be back at the same point as when unhooked and the front of the pickup slightly higher.

Richard
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
B&T

I tend to agree with Bob that getting the front of the TV back to pre-hookup conditions is more important than the amount of settling on the rear of the TV -- But there are some WDH instructions that do make reference to the rear of the TV

Here is just one summary example of Reese WDH adjustment instructions, taken from:

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...ion/N66022.pdf

Quote:
1.Pick reference points on front and rear wheel wells. Measure and record distance to pavement. Front wheel well to pavement _______Rear wheel well to pavement_______.

7. Lower jack. Re-measure front and rear wheel well reference points(vehicle should settle evenly,within about 1/2 inch). If front has settled more than rear,increase the number of chain links between yoke hook and spring bar.

If there are no more links, the angle of the head assembly must be decreased.The trailer must be uncoupled and the upper bolt removed from the head assembly. The head assembly is then pivoted up as appropriate. Reassemble.

If rear has settled more than front, reduce the number of links between hook and spring bar.

It is preferred that rear of vehicle settle the same or more than the front.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
......If there is a hitch manufacturers that even talks about the rear height in their installation instructions, I would like to see it. I've never seen one so far. Get the front right and let the rear take care of itself.
You need to read the Equal-i-zer manual.....

PS.
That may be his problem, now.... the front *could* be right, yet the rear is higher than unloaded...... that is the fallacy of the "disregard the rear" argument....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
bucketman

I just looked at my Hitch and it is rated for 600 TW and 6000 GVW. Now my tw is 590 and tt is 5305 empty. I think they installed the wrong rated hitch for my unit. What do you guys think would be the proper size hitch?? I'm thinking 1000-10000
So Wisconsin
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
f6bits

That's definitely an under-rated hitch. What made you think it was the 1K/10K early on? Hopefully they'll make the right switch.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
bucketman

I never looked at the trunnions that had the specs on it. The service tech told me that it was rated for 10000 when he installed it.
So Wisconsin
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
bucketman

Wink

Finally got my TT home. They put a new brake assembly on and now no more hot wheel. I got the dealer to exchange for a 10000 hitch and I set it up according to directions and what a difference in the ride. Squats 1/2 inch in rear and front is the same as before. No sway, rides smooth, and semi's don't push me around on the interstate. Just setting up for traveling now. Whew!!!

Sooo Happy now
So Wisconsin