Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
He recommended if we are plugged in, to run the fridge for a day or so, so it gets cold. Then load up the fridge with our food and run it off propane while we travel. Because it's already dropped in temp, it wont take much propane to keep it cold.
We've always "jump started our fridge cooling using this method. Fridge stays in Auto mode, searches for 110V and if not, there's the propane.
We've refueled while pulling with the fridge on a number of times; never considered the open flame
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
outwest

We've always done the same - electric for a day or two before travel and leave on auto (thus switching over to propane) for travel. That being said, old trailer got the lp lines fouled with some sort of oily substance from place we got propane once and fridge never again worked the same on propane. After that, began putting dry ice in freezer compartment for travel, which worked really well. No prob so far (knock on wood) with running fridge on propane in new trailer while traveling (and use diesel so no worries there). Wouldn't recommend same for hot water heater, though.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
golfpro

I do not travel with my propane on. the question comes up about once a week on one forum or the other. I use small reusable ice packs in the frig during traveling times and refreeze them at night. I have seen many fires when I was on the fire dept, 30 years of putting out rv fires and house fires have made me a little more cautious then the average person. in fact if you read posts from rv 101 or rv Dr, neither suggest you do not travel with the gas on at all.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
jsmith948

Well, I guess I'm doing this all wrong. One of the reasons we bought an RV was the convenience of having a refrigerator instead of having to use ice chests with the resultant soggy, spoiled or less-than-fresh food. We always operate our fridge on propane while in transit. We ALWAYS turn the fridge off before entering the fueling island. My DS has a class A and she shops for food at every stop rather than use the fridge that came installed in her MH.
I guess to each his own

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
... One of the reasons we bought an RV was the convenience of having a refrigerator instead of having to use ice chests with the resultant soggy, spoiled or less-than-fresh food. We always operate our fridge on propane while in transit...
this this this this this ^^
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Javi

Have never worried about the propane running the fridge while towing, I light the fridge the day before we leave, load up the food, beer and ice for the whisky and go.

Since the diesel fill port is far from the fridge I ain't scared.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Have never worried about the propane running the fridge while towing, I light the fridge the day before we leave, load up the food, beer and ice for the whisky and go.

Since the diesel fill port is far from the fridge I ain't scared.
Whisky you say,,, here we go again

We have our trailer plugged in at home. Turn on the fridge a day before we go and let it switch to propane on its own when we head out. Not having to buy ice and pack a cooler is one of the reasons for the TT.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
lightning79

My favourite one about leaving things running was when a couple told me last year that friends of theirs would light the oven, pop in a roast and then hit the road, so that when they got to their destination, the roast was done!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

We used to do that with baked potatoes on the manifold, but never with a roast in a pan in the oven. With our rear kitchen, I could easily see the roast being somewhere between the bathroom and the rear wall <YIKES>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
michol02

Never thought of turning off propane while refueling. Glad I read this thread. The only time I turn off the propane is when we get on a ferry(think its a law). We camp often, so the frig stays on and full of stuff 24/7. When Friday evening comes, we just load a few perishables, medication, and the dogs(everything else is already in there). I keep it set up at the house like we're camping(it's my "Man Cave" during the week).

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We used to do that with baked potatoes on the manifold, but never with a roast in a pan in the oven. With our rear kitchen, I could easily see the roast being somewhere between the bathroom and the rear wall <YIKES>
As another RKS owner, I agree I don't enjoy cleaning up messes!
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
Outbackmel

refer on propane

3 years towing and use propane refer when traveling and switch to electric when stopped. My unit has an automatic switch. Requires no manual intervention.

By the way, just a question: you do understand the slide mechanism in the refer box that is adjustable for desired temp, right? I say that only because our refer is PACKED when we travel and have no, nada, none temperature variance. Actually one of the best parts of the RV. Maybe because Keystone does not make it
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
3 years towing and use propane refer when traveling and switch to electric when stopped. My unit has an automatic switch. Requires no manual intervention.

By the way, just a question: you do understand the slide mechanism in the refer box that is adjustable for desired temp, right? I say that only because our refer is PACKED when we travel and have no, nada, none temperature variance. Actually one of the best parts of the RV. Maybe because Keystone does not make it
I made a label with my label printer for the inside wall of the fridge and marked a scale so I know about where to set the temp control. I find it depends on how full the fridge is, if there is frozen food/ice in the freezer and whether it is running on elec or propane. Anyway, the tape guide comes in handy. I also find the control seems to work its way down during transport.

I love the fridge. A step up from the old one in our mid 90's Nash
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
Msemma

I just purchased the 316 RL in July , we ran it on propane on our first trip out worked fine .
Msemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
Hansel

I've read everyones reply, I want too do whatever is the safest way too travel. My first question is, has anyone ever heard or seen where someones trailer caused an issue (fire) while at a fueling station??Most of my travels are within a few hours and I've always used the auto setting which it switches too gas when I'm not hooked into electric. The last 2 trips have been where I've need to fill up (diesel) and never even thought about the frig being on and running on gas, now that I think about it how remote is the chance of a fire from vapors at the filling station?? My fuel tank fill is on the drivers side and the frig is 10-15ft away and on the other side. I'm more concerned that a gas line would fail while driving down the road, then the frig starting a fire while fueling up.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
suza

Just returned from a trip with our cousin and his wife towing along with us. He was appalled that we run our fridge while towing (he is extremely cautious in everything he does!). He was more concerned about the pilot light going out during transit. Any comments in this regard?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #37
MarkS

If the refrig flame goes out, it will try to restart several times. If it can't, it turns on the check light. I have had this happen on very windy days driving across Kansas. You just have to remember to look at the light when you stop to turn the refrig back on.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
If the refrig flame goes out, it will try to restart several times. If it can't, it turns on the check light. I have had this happen on very windy days driving across Kansas. You just have to remember to look at the light when you stop to turn the refrig back on.
I think our cousin's concern was that, in the event the pilot light blows out, propane will still be flowing and could build up enough to be dangerous. Is he correct, or just too paranoid?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #39
hankpage
Site Team

There is no pilot .... it is electronic ignition. As mentioned, if the flame goes out it will try to relight a few times and if it does not the gas is shut off until you reset on the control panel. The flame is so small and the area is well vented that the danger of gas build-up is extremely slim even with ideal conditions. The simple solution for someone who is paranoid is to shut it off while traveling .... many folks do ..... many don't. It's one of our choices in life.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
There is no pilot .... it is electronic ignition. As mentioned, if the flame goes out it will try to relight a few times and if it does not the gas is shut off until you reset on the control panel. The flame is so small and the area is well vented that the danger of gas build-up is extremely slim even with ideal conditions. The simple solution for someone who is paranoid is to shut it off while traveling .... many folks do ..... many don't. It's one of our choices in life.
Thanks, Hank. Now I feel much better. We are one of those folks who "do"
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS