Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
bigcitypopo

Exclamation a few quirks with the Springdale 294BH on her maiden voyage

So last week was my maiden voyage...

As i was backing into my spot... I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a TON of smoke rapidly filing the air... To my discovery, Keystone placed the breakaway brake assembly in a bad spot.

the cable got pinched in the chain, grounded out and DISINTEGRATED all the way to the little junction that was mounted on inside of frame.

The brown mark is the arc point. So if you look at the top pic, I have since butt connected a new cable and routed it to here...

my next concern

ME NO LIKEY! what is a better solution for this mess? Install a buss bar and pit in a weather proof box? any ideas would be great.

And now... I have noticed a have a pretty significant parasitic drain... I think it is due to the jensen stereo... My 12v converter/charger is all the way in the rear of the trailer in the Bunkhouse... Is it appropriate to install a battery disconect there.. or should i do it at the battery, I really don't want to have one exposed to the elements... (suggestions welcome... include pics if you can)

I am gonna have some of my front end take apart tomorrow as I prep for my Hensley Arrow install. So I will be tinkering.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you suspect your stereo, you can always install an on/off switch to cut off the 12v to it. You'll have to remove the stereo first and cut into the 12v line and mount the switch outside the cabinet somewhere.

Other sources of parasitic drain are the detector - which is probably on the same circuit as the stereo - and your fridge may have a "climate control switch" which has been left in the ON position. This switch, if you have one, is located under the control panel at the top. Open the fridge door and feel the underside of the panel - it may be located there. This climate control system is not found in all fridges and if left on, will drain your battery fairly quickly IF you are disconnected from shore power.

Check out the search feature and type in "battery disconnect switch" or similar to find threads/posts about this. There are some photos of the actual installation included in some of the threads. If I recall, almost all of the installations have the disconnect right at the battery location - not downstream somewhere.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
bigcitypopo

I pulled, the stereo and found the feed of wires. I am gonna install a switch for the radio.

This fridge is different from the last two, No climate control switch. it seemed to auto defrost when i turned it off. its drawing no power in the off position...

as for the disconnect. I guess im gonna need to pull open the sealed underbelly. I really didn't want a switch visible... so kids don't play with it. I'm gonna have to poke around...
Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Bean

Can you tell me how you removed the stereo ?
Mine won't clear the molding on the slide.
I can't even get a screwdriver in to remove the screws on the left side.

Bean

2012 Ford F150 Supercrew 5.5' bed, 3.73 gears, Ecoboost engine, Max-tow package

2013 Savings account = $0 (LOL)
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
EricLynnAllison

I put a disconnect switch at the battery. When I leave my camper in between trips, I want the batteries ready to go. I can't plug mine in at storage spot. Too many things can slowly use up battery unawares.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitypopo View Post
I pulled, the stereo and found the feed of wires. I am gonna install a switch for the radio.

This fridge is different from the last two, No climate control switch. it seemed to auto defrost when i turned it off. its drawing no power in the off position...

as for the disconnect. I guess im gonna need to pull open the sealed underbelly. I really didn't want a switch visible... so kids don't play with it. I'm gonna have to poke around...
You can consider a switch with a removeable "key" and install it in the top of your existing battery box or construct a box from a plastic utility outlet box and cover (the gray plastic kind found at Lowe's or HD).

Here's one source of the "key type" cutoff switch: http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00284301...connect+switch

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote