Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
nuskovich

Toy Hauler security

One thing that suprised me about RVs is the simple (inexspensive) locks on entry doors and storage compartments. As a retired keeper of the peace I feel I'm better off leaving it unlocked so bad guys don't damage anything trying to see what I don't keep inside.

I've had it suggested that I install deadbolts on the two entry doors and padlock the ramp.

How far has anyone gone to secure their stuff? What worked and what did not work?
Tikka .300WM w/ Leupold VariX III 3.5-10
nuskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
davidjsimons

I agree 100%, if somebody wants it, they will take it, regardless of how well you think you've secured it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
slowGTO

we do the same (leaving everything unlocked). I would rather them get in and 'borrow' something if they need it.... than damage everything and cost me more getting to it. We have a TT/TY that lives up at our hunting camp that stays that way year round and we have never had any issues. We have had stuff missing but it usually shows up in the next couple of days. (people borrowing propane or the generator and then returning it)
slowGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Hoopy Frood

I padlock the ramp to keep it from accidentally coming open. I lock the trailer entrance doors when I'm away just to keep casual intruders out. I only lock the basement doors when traveling.

IMO you can't keep a 5th wheel/trailer/toyhauler secure, it's just too easy to enter with a big prybar. All you can do is keep the honest man honest by not putting too many temptations out there.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
nuskovich

I think I'll deadbolt both entry doors, exit through garage ramp and use two quality locks there. Basement doors appears to be a waste of time.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
IMO you can't keep a 5th wheel/trailer/toyhauler secure ...
That's where I am with it, in fact it's pretty much impossible (or at least impractical) to keep any RV very secure against someone who really wants in. My primary strategy is to try to keep it as secure as I can by nature of its physical location, and locks are just some icing on the cake.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
davidjsimons

I had a boat on which I use to leave the electronics box unlocked. Whoever stole all of my electronics figured that it had to be locked and broke the glass out to steal the equipment. I was more mad that they were actually that stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
nuskovich

The only dilema I see (after 27 as a police officer) is that more unlocked vehicles had been victimzed then locked vehicles. The teen thief or thief of opportunity are eliminated when you lock stuff up. Best we can do is hide the good stuff and keep the RV as visible as possible.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
Htfiremedic

After 20 + years in Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement, I lock my TH doors, padlock the gate, park it beside the house with the doors opening to the house. My dog barks, I take notice.
I own a gun, or 12. I shoot often in my yard. I live in the country.
I've found that if people know that you are armed, have a short fuse and are articulate, they worry.
Ability, opportunity and jeopardy. Enough force nessecary to stop the threat and they aren't there to cook my dinner!
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I was in a discussion thread on another forum about Harbor Freight tools. Someone asked if anyone would trust the HF small electronic safe to store their handgun. My response was, NO... I store mine in the nightstand right beside the bed. The LAST thing I want to be doing if I hear a strange noise in the house (or outside for that matter) is turning on lights to try to see the numbers on a keypad/dial combination lock while trying to get to my weapon while someone is inside my house. To me, it wouldn't matter if it was a HF lockbox or the most expensive on made, it's not "if" the lock malfunctions, it's having the lock to deal with in an emergency.

I agree, firearm close by and even if you don't "shoot to injure" just walking outside and shooting into the air would cause most "novice thieves" to never return. As for shooting in the yard, We "target practice" on ducks flying over the lake quite often (during season) and use those "hard to tenderize" clay "ducks" the rest of the year, so like you, everyone around this part of our area knows who is armed and who uses "lead encouragement" to keep the neighborhood safe.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
CUFFS054

Ah come on, JR, don't make me go all gun safety instructor on you for shooting in the air. Bullets carry a huge distance and can do some damage far away. Just ask the roof of our '12 Dodge Charger parked 'safely' behind the office.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
Ah come on, JR, don't make me go all gun safety instructor on you for shooting in the air. Bullets carry a huge distance and can do some damage far away. Just ask the roof of our '12 Dodge Charger parked 'safely' behind the office.
Haven't seen a shotgun that shoots bullets.... What we shoot into the air is at Clay "ducks" and real ducks, but with a rifle? Nobody I know is that good a shot LOL We use shotguns" bird hunting, and as for the #4 shot "raining" down, Max range I've seen is about 150 yards, so they all fall on our own property. Cant blame me for the roof of your Dodge, I haven't shot a bullet into the air since I was in my teens and that was so long ago, Dodge wasn't even making Chargers then.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Haven't seen a shotgun that shoots bullets.... What we shoot into the air is at Clay "ducks" and real ducks, but with a rifle? Nobody I know is that good a shot LOL We use shotguns" bird hunting, and as for the #4 shot "raining" down, Max range I've seen is about 150 yards, so they all fall on our own property. Cant blame me for the roof of your Dodge, I haven't shot a bullet into the air since I was in my teens and that was so long ago, Dodge wasn't even making Chargers then.
JRTJH -

Hmmm, that might make you the oldest member of the Forum! And all this time, I thought it might be Hankpage!

Now, when I was a teen (and there were Dodge Chargers), we used to shoot 12 gauge rifled slugs when deer hunting sometimes. I'm afraid those chunks of lead would fly more than a few hundred yards!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly a "nomenclature" misrepresentation, but a 12 gage, 358 grain rifled sabot slug is not a bullet. Shotguns don't shoot "bullets" they do shoot slugs or "BB's". In my original post, I attempted to state that I think it would be just as effective to shoot into the air (as opposed to shooting AT a thief). That might be an "irresponsible" thing to do, but probably has much less legal implications than shooting AT a thief in or near an RV in most jurisdictions.

As for the maximum range of a 12 gage Sabot slug, the side of the box states, "Warning, this ammunition may travel up to a mile". However, the "BB's" (pellets) in a 12 gage "high brass" (magnum load) when shot in an arc at ducks (or clay pigeons) seldom travel more than 150 yards and certainly no more than 250 yards. Shooting shotguns "into the air" is a practice that's done on every bird hunt I've ever been on.. . (that's where the birds are) and it's a perfectly acceptable way to discharge a shotgun.

The Dodge Charger was introduced in 1966 (I was 19). It was the market version of the concept car, the Polara, that was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in 1964 (I was 17).

While some may feel what I posted is "unsafe firearm use" I still maintain that it is BETTER to shoot into the air rather than to shoot at a thief. BEST however, is to dial 911 and remain under the bed until the police show up the next morning to take a statement. Maybe seeing the police car after the fact will deter further theft ???

The OP's thread was discussing how to secure a toyhauler, not gun safety, so I will defer from further gun related posts on this thread. Let's get back to securing a TH.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
nuskovich

I'll settle the bullet/shotgun discussion.

Hornady 12 ga. SST uses a 300 grain BULLET in a sabot and with the 150 zero, it will drop 6.7" at 200 yards...the 20 ga performs slightly less with 250 gr. BULLET

The old RIFLED SLUG is just the simplest form of a bullet...

This sounds a lot like the conversations with my daughters when they were younger. "Get in the car, we're leaving" and they'd respond, "We don't have a car, it's a Tahoe" WOW

NOTE: Michigan people get to shoot intruders now (Michigan Public Acts-PA309-PA314) with some limitations
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
I'll settle the bullet/shotgun discussion.

We'll take that as a sign that we can now get back to the OP's question about how to go about securing his Toy Hauler.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
BMcCutcheon

Just as a side note. My Unit was broken into a couple of years ago and Geico told me I was lucky that I had all the lock secure and there was evidence of forced entry. If Not they would Not have covered my losses which were about $3000.00.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote