Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Georgia Rambler

how long should my battery stay charged???

I have a Laredo 5th new, just the single battery from the dealer, new also. my question is how long should the battery last with only the refer on (propane)??? All I can get is about 4to5 days before its stone dead. I know even with stuff off there is a drain keeping power to the wires but this seems ridiculous???? I have 2 new deep cycle marine batteries I'm going to install as soon as I can find another matching factory battery box that seals. I'm having a hard time finding one.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

There is more than the frig pulling from that battery. There is a parasitic load to various monitors and 4-5 days is very good for a single 12v.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Georgia Rambler

Thanks, I knew there was a draw, but I guess I just under estimated how much of one there is.
Thanks again

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
mikell

Spend some money on a solar panel. For the price of a couple of good batteries you will have bpower forever. Northern tool has some nice all in one setups.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6867_200306867
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
Georgia Rambler

Thanks, I have been thinking about solar panels but not sure if they were durable for a camper. Its always nice to get other points of view on things. Northern Tool sure does have a lot of cool stuff, I could go broke shopping there.
Thanks again

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
mhs4771

Generally the Battery that comes with a unit is about the cheapest smallest battery they can find. Not really much better than some flashlight batteries tied together. I think the fridge still draws close to 2 amps when on propane plus you have the gas detector. So that is probably close to right.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
dakingsella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Spend some money on a solar panel. For the price of a couple of good batteries you will have bpower forever. Northern tool has some nice all in one setups.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6867_200306867
I'm interested in a solar panel for my RV so I don't have to pull the batteries for winter storage (a real pain). When I go to Northern Tool, what should I look for, I see they have a large number of options and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Are they hard to install? Do I need professional installation or is it something I could do?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

You didn't mention whether you have 6v or 12v batteries and how many of each so your solar requirements may be slightly different.
Assuming you have 2-12v deep cycle batteries ........
If you are simply wanting to keep your batteries in a charged state over the winter, and providing your RV is stored in a place that receives a lot of sun exposure, you should be able to get by with a 10w - 15w solar panel. These small panels won't bring a discharged battery up to a fully charged state so it is important that they be charged up before hooking them up to solar. The solar panels will maintain the batteries in a charged state so long as they are not under any drain or load and they are in good condition.

You probably won't need a charge/solar controller for these low-watt panels and they are very easy to hook up yourself. No need to get a "professional" to do it.
The panels are available in kit form or you can go out and purchase the components separately. Check online as there are plenty of sites where you can buy solar stuff.

Most solar panels are not nearly as efficient if it is overcast or there are shadows falling on the panel.
Since these panels will be out in the open and probably not attached to the roof of your RV, you need to be concerned about theft.
If your RV will be stored in a place that has access to 110v, it might be worthwhile looking at a trickle charger rather than solar panels.

In either case, be sure to check the water level from time-to-time in the battery.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to the advice provided by Festus, you should also consider the snow accumulation. You'll be brushing snow off the panels on a regular basis during snow storms and even on windy days when the blowing/drifting potentially can cover the voltaic panels. Once the solar panel is covered with snow, it will stop producing any power. If that snow cover lasts 3 or 4 days you may well find your batteries discharged, frozen and ruined. So, if you're planning to use it as a "maintenance free/install it and forget it" system, you'll probably be disappointed in its performance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
dakingsella

Thanks to both for your advice. Luckily we seldom experience snow in western Oregon, but I think I will consider different alternatives. I don't feel comfortable leaving a solar panel sitting by my trailer, even though I am in a secure storage facility, and I also realized that I have a building behind (to the south) of me, so I probably wouldn't have the sunshine I need. And, western Oregon has very little sunshine during the winter months when I would need it most.

I have two 6v deep cycle batteries in the RV, if I have the batteries disconnected so there is no drain, how long should the charge last in them?

Thanks,
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

If there is some way that you can give your batteries a charge from time-to-time to ensure that they are in a fully-charged state, that would be the best route to go. Letting any battery sit for long periods in a state of discharge is going to reduce its life expectancy.
I know that removing a pair of 6v batteries is a pain, but it may be worthwhile to take them out and cart them home to keep them charged using a trickle charger.
It's hard to put a figure on how long they will last if left uncharged and disconnected. It depends upon how old they are, their condition and; to some extent, the outside temperature.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
mikell

Get a couple of the trickle chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter outlets and put them in the windows of the camper when ever you need the extra juice
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote