Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
Soxfan904

No Bypass Valve or Line On Hot Water Heater - 30BHS

I had previously posted on this, but wanted to create a new thread with some updated information

I recently just bought a brand new 30BHS and I’m in the process of winterizing it after testing everything. I had spent several days trying to locate the bypass valve after reading the owners manual going and contacting Keystone as well as another post in this forum everybody told me that it was on the back of the hot water heater, which I knew from my previous camper. On that one I would turn to valves, and the water would bypass the hot water heater as well as there was a separate hose for injecting RV antifreeze.

I was able to remove the wood paneling next to the hot water heater and lean in as far as possible, I took a video of the back of the hot water heater, and there is absolutely no bypass valve or line that I could see by feeling as well as taking a picture.

My question now is how am I supposed to winterize the camper? I cannot put antifreeze in there because it will get into the hot water heater. In addition, I’m am leery about using the compressor to blow out the lines as I do not want to force air into the hot water heater at all. I also took a picture of the piping. Where am I docking station for water is on the inside of the camper and there is also no bypass valve.

This explains to me why the dealer never mentioned where this is. Has anybody experience this issue? Am I just a complete idiot and I missing it? I’m at a loss here looking for some help as it’s getting cold and I need to winterize the camper within the next week or two .

Picture attached and link to the video is below

https://youtube.com/shorts/t_VpdPZ0oBQ?feature=share

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3829.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	41900

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	41901

Name:	IMG_3829.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	41900

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	41902
Old 10-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you post an overall pic of your convenience center?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:02 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Thought it odd that the first pic showed a pex clamp and two radiator clamps. I wouldn't think the radiator clamps were something Keystone would use. A year for the trailer in the signature might give a clue as to the camper's age.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:32 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Thought it odd that the first pic showed a pex clamp and two radiator clamps. I wouldn't think the radiator clamps were something Keystone would use. A year for the trailer in the signature might give a clue as to the camper's age.
Good catch George, I don’t think those clamps are authorized for use with pex. Makes me wonder if someone didn’t remove something and do a shoddy repair, color change on the IN pex doesn’t seem right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:49 AM   #5
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Can you post an overall pic of your convenience center?

What do you mean by convienence center?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
Soxfan904

Quote:

They did have the panels off when it was at the dealer, so they could have done something.

The camper was manufactured in July of 2022
Old 10-05-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
Soxfan904

Quote:
Good catch George, I don’t think those clamps are authorized for use with pex. Makes me wonder if someone didn’t remove something and do a shoddy repair, color change on the IN pex doesn’t seem right.

Should I remove the clamps? Maybe the dealer did something and all they has was red? I am bringing it in on Saturday for some maintenance so I can add this to the list. What type of clamps should I tell them to use?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:53 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan904 View Post
What do you mean by convienence center?
Where you hook up the water, cable and such.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:55 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Quote:
... A year for the trailer in the signature might give a clue as to the camper's age.
This from his profile:

About Soxfan904
First Name
Greg
Location - City
Granby
State or Province
Connecticut
RV Model
Cougar 30BHS
RV Model Year

Tow Vehicle
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss
Hitch info
EZ Connect Weight Distribution Hitch
Signature
Greg
Cougar Half-Ton 30BHS

I agree with the color code of the PEX line (cold "IN" line) where it's connected to the blue and then changed to Red. It should be blue all the way to the tank, then red at the top (water "out" line). Also, the radiator clamps on the PEX connection are suspect also? That's just weird. I'm not sure what's going on.

Considering this is a 2022 model, I'd be heading back to the dealership and have them explain it! and if it's missed, to make it right.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #10
Soxfan904

Quote:
Where you hook up the water, cable and such.

That was in the picture I sent, well the inside of it. I’ll post one of the outside later when I am home
Old 10-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #11
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
This from his profile:

About Soxfan904
First Name
Greg
Location - City
Granby
State or Province
Connecticut
RV Model
Cougar 30BHS
RV Model Year

Tow Vehicle
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss
Hitch info
EZ Connect Weight Distribution Hitch
Signature
Greg
Cougar Half-Ton 30BHS

I agree with the color code of the PEX line (cold "IN" line) where it's connected to the blue and then changed to Red. It should be blue all the way to the tank, then red at the top (water "out" line). Also, the radiator clamps on the PEX connection are suspect also? That's just weird. I'm not sure what's going on.

Considering this is a 2022 model, I'd be heading back to the dealership and have them explain it! and if it's missed, to make it right.

Good go know. Yes, I will have the dealer look at it. Am I correct though that there is no bypass line or valves?
Old 10-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m thinking the bypass was leaking and there was a bit of shenanigans done to get it “over the curb”. Since they had that panel off, I would insist they install a WORKING bypass valve and associated pex using the PROPER clamps.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:06 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Quote:
... Am I correct though that there is no bypass line or valves?
You are correct there. There is no valve (or valves) located at the water heater. A photo of your convenience center is needed so we can all see what valves you have there.

I'm pretty sure on Cougars you should have at least 3 valves. One for switching between filling the fresh water tank or running directly from shore water via a garden hose. One for Winterizing with RV antifreeze pink-stuff. Winterizing valve is either on or off. And one for By-passing the water heater so no water goes into the water heater, or no RV antifreeze. If you have at least 3 valves, then it's probably just a labeling problem. If you have only 2 valves, then you've got something else going on.

Photos will clarify. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:07 AM   #14
Soxfan904

Quote:
I’m thinking the bypass was leaking and there was a bit of shenanigans done to get it “over the curb”. Since they had that panel off, I would insist they install a WORKING bypass valve and associated pex using the PROPER clamps.

Agreed, you may be right. What are the proper clamps called?
Old 10-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #15
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You are correct there. There is no valve (or valves) located at the water heater. A photo of your convenience center is needed so we can all see what valves you have there.

I'm pretty sure on Cougars you should have at least 3 valves. One for switching between filling the fresh water tank or running directly from shore water via a garden hose. One for Winterizing with RV antifreeze pink-stuff. Winterizing valve is either on or off. And one for By-passing the water heater so no water goes into the water heater, or no RV antifreeze. If you have at least 3 valves, then it's probably just a labeling problem. If you have only 2 valves, then you've got something else going on.

Photos will clarify. Good luck.

I only have a black to flush and the other inlet for city/fresh water.

I’ll get a Pic asap
Old 10-05-2022, 05:12 AM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
Agreed, you may be right. What are the proper clamps called?
Weirdly enough, pex clamps [LINK].
Old 10-05-2022, 05:15 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Pex lines require pex clamps tightened with a proper tool. What you have in the photos are worm gear clamps that are used for rubber hose. The convenience center is where you stand outside and connect your water hose, fill your fresh water tank and may have dump handles for the waste holding tanks. That area is not in any of your pictures.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:16 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
That is the most common. There are also band clamps, but both require a specific tool to install. Readily available at any big box hardware store so they can’t say they don’t have the tool.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:23 AM   #19
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post

Thats what I thought, ok thank you!
Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 AM   #20
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Pex lines require pex clamps tightened with a proper tool. What you have in the photos are worm gear clamps that are used for rubber hose. The convenience center is where you stand outside and connect your water hose, fill your fresh water tank and may have dump handles for the waste holding tanks. That area is not in any of your pictures.

Yes, I am familiar with pex clamps. I used them to repair something on my old camper. I just didn’t realize that these were not those. I will have the dealer switch them out and working to get a picture of the convenience center.

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater