Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #1
gearhead

Blue Beacon truck wash?

Anyone ever used a Blue Beacon truck wash? My truck and camper got dirty the first day out. I can't stand it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #2
BubbaShoots

I have used Blue Beacon several times and have good experiences. My expectations were to remove road grime and dirt. I always request no brushes. They offer application of Rain-X and I find my rig stays cleaner for longer with this option. There are always a few water streaks since they don’t dry it. If you expect removal of black streaks, you will be disappointed.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShoots View Post
I have used Blue Beacon several times and have good experiences. My expectations were to remove road grime and dirt. I always request no brushes. They offer application of Rain-X and I find my rig stays cleaner for longer with this option. There are always a few water streaks since they don’t dry it. If you expect removal of black streaks, you will be disappointed.
Thanks!
No black streaks. I have full body paint so it cleans up pretty easy. I just have "road grime".
If they don't use brushes what do they use? Microfiber pads?
I was planning on getting the Rain X treatment. I assume they just spray it on?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-26-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
jasin1

The couple “keep your daydream” on YouTube has a video I believe from 2 years ago where they took their momentum toy hauler full paint and they used brushes and it left spiderweb light scratches..
They used it on their TT before and really liked it but no go on the brushes..

I hate a black vehicle with swirl marks…on all the black or dark vehicles I’ve owned I use meguires swirl remover and clay bar to make the paint look flawless …followed by wax…some people are ok with clean but swirls…to me it looks like you washed your vehicle with a brick dipped in soapy water.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
Badbart56

They are excellent! We have a national account and get our trucks washed there once or twice a week.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Was looking at the website of the one clsest to me (about 45 min drive) and was suprised at the listed rates. For a rv trailer over 30' lists as $31.30. Seems like a good deal that I'll have to check out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Was looking at the website of the one clsest to me (about 45 min drive) and was suprised at the listed rates. For a rv trailer over 30' lists as $31.30. Seems like a good deal that I'll have to check out.
I believe the most you will pay is $47 so yeah, especially when you compare to what someone like Camping World charges. They don't do roofs though.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
gearhead

I ran through the Blue Beacon in Columbia SC today. Washed the truck and 39 ft trailer. No brushes on the trailer. Rain X on both. Came to about $70. Truck looks good. 5th looks ok except the wheels aren't clean. Got the green/yellow pollen off.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-28-2022, 10:36 AM   #9
RVGator

I wish there was one close to me. Closest is 51 miles south, which isn’t my usual direction. If it was north I’d stop there on every trip home and never have to wash the camper by hand again. Love that place. It gets backed up though and can take a while to get through, that’s probably my only gripe.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
gearhead

I'm thinking when I get home I'll foam cannon with
Chemical Guys Mr Pink and then bucket wash with Meguairs Ultimate Wash and Wax. I do need to get a microfiber pad to replace the WalMart "blue brush" I've been using.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Chemical Guys Mr Pink and then bucket wash with Meguairs Ultimate Wash and Wax. I do need to get a microfiber pad to replace the WalMart "blue brush" I've been using.
Years ago I used a foam gun and after washing would spray down the vehichles and campers with Simonize liquid wax after washings. That stuff was like a spray on liquid carnauba wax. It worked great IMO.

Then one day we were in Ollie's (a discount store) and they had a long shelf full of it at a giveaway price. I knew that meant it was discontinued and would dissappear. I bought every gallon they had, I think it was close to 50 gals. I used the last of it last year and really miss it.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
This brush from harbor freight is nice…it’s a really soft brush head and a telescoping handle.
You can run a hose through the handle also but I don’t do that…I have one for my rv and one for my boat. I don’t use it on my truck and I don’t wash any mud or dirt down low or wash the wheels with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33FB4CD5-6CC5-4D8E-9CEB-D57705B2EBFF.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	39085  
Old 04-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #13
ADQ K9

They do a good job of getting love bugs off a white paint job. That was a while back in Mississippi when I was doing recovery for insurance companies after Katrina.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:49 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This brush from harbor freight is nice…it’s a really soft brush head and a telescoping handle.
You can run a hose through the handle also but I don’t do that…I have one for my rv and one for my boat. I don’t use it on my truck and I don’t wash any mud or dirt down low or wash the wheels with it.
Thanks, I'm overdue for a Harbor Freight visit.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #15
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Years ago I used a foam gun and after washing would spray down the vehichles and campers with Simonize liquid wax after washings. That stuff was like a spray on liquid carnauba wax. It worked great IMO.

Then one day we were in Ollie's (a discount store) and they had a long shelf full of it at a giveaway price. I knew that meant it was discontinued and would dissappear. I bought every gallon they had, I think it was close to 50 gals. I used the last of it last year and really miss it.
When the NASCAR race car haulers pull into a racetrack they stage to begin their washing. I like to watch the process. They pressure wash with soap, then brush, then rinse and spray a wax on. I saw one team using a silicone squeegee. The trucks and trailers have extensive paint or wraps. They look really nice with the fancy paint jobs and aluminum wheels. From 20 ft away they look great after the wash process. I questioned one of the guys about brushes causing scratches and he said you have to keep the brush wet. They took a good bit more care than Blue Beacon.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-03-2022, 04:58 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
When the NASCAR race car haulers pull into a racetrack they stage to begin their washing. I like to watch the process. They pressure wash with soap, then brush, then rinse and spray a wax on. I saw one team using a silicone squeegee. The trucks and trailers have extensive paint or wraps. They look really nice with the fancy paint jobs and aluminum wheels. From 20 ft away they look great after the wash process. I questioned one of the guys about brushes causing scratches and he said you have to keep the brush wet. They took a good bit more care than Blue Beacon.
Common sense dictates keeping the brush wet and clean. In my youth I would use a local self serve car wash in the winter to remove salt. The first quater ( dating myself there) I spent washing the brush with the high pressure hose to clean it. Otherwise it would be like dragging a sand covered brick over the paint.

I have the "flow thru" brushes but use a similar brush that doesn’t have the water connection. I first used the flow thru brush on boars. It worked ok with the boat in the water and the brush below my waist most of the time. When I first used it on a hard sided camper I quickly discovered 2 things. First, I got just as wet as the trailer and secondly, using the brush overhead and dragging it around a 36' camper connected to a 3/4" garden hose got old quick.

Everyone does what works for them. For me I've had several shoulder and neck surgeries so working with my arms over my head is not pleasent. I fill a square 5 gal bucket with soap, then hose off the trailer. Next, foam the trailer (one side and one end at a time), let set for a few min but not long enough to dry. Brush with dipping in the soapy bucket then rinsing the brush head before dipping it in the bucket again. Brush about a 1/4 of the side at a time then rinse it off. When I had the spray on wax I'd keep it wet until I used the wax. Then I'd spray it with a deionized fiter to prevent water spotting. That was before the last 3 of the 7 total cervical spine surgeries.

So the surgical issues and age has me looking at a truck wash. Had to grin at the "They took a good bit more care than Blue Beacon" line. I bet they take greater care changing the oil than Jiffy Lube and airing the tires than Pep Boys does as well.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:11 AM   #17
Clodmiran

I’ve not tried this car wash, but I’ve tried other ones. I usually wash my camper myself but once in three months, I hire professional washers to help me get rid of all the dirt. The last time I’ve been to https://sparklewash.com/centralindiana/ I liked it a lot. I think it’s the best service I’ve had in recent years. It is not easy to properly clean a camper, and I always ask the person to be gentle with all the surfaces and use only low-pressure cleaning and mild detergents inside. So, if you need proper cleaning, you can address it to these guys and see what they say.
Clodmiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

I may wash my truck one day to see what color it actually is. A work truck, of course. I wash the camper myself with my power washer and it cuts through the grime and mud just fine. If a camper sits outside, no point in getting all worked up about washing all the time.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote