Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #1
wrvond

easiest mod ever

While not limited to the Cougar 24RDS only, this change isn't for everyone (25RDS travel trailers can benefit).
Under the kitchen sink is a divider that separates the "storage area" from the water heater area. When I took it out the first thing that came to mind was all the wasted space behind that "wall". When I put it back in, I moved it about 7" closer to the water heater (still lots of space left) till it was even with the corner of the cabinet next to the oven. I installed an 'L' bracket near the top for support and done. The gain is about 161 square inches - enough room to easily hold a trash can along with a bunch of other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-18 121919.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	40314  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
pappy437

Looks Good
pappy437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Gegrad

Looks good, more space is always nice. Is that one floor tile actually darker than the rest? Or just a trick of the photo?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:02 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Great idea. I have a similar situation that I have wanted to investigate in our island.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:23 AM   #5
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Looks good, more space is always nice. Is that one floor tile actually darker than the rest? Or just a trick of the photo?
Thanks!
It’s a bit of both, it’s a darker section but not that much darker.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:33 AM   #6
bsmith0404

It’s amazing sometimes how much wasted space you can find if you start looking. You would think they would be more conscious of this considering storage is a premium in an rv.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
It’s amazing sometimes how much wasted space you can find if you start looking. You would think they would be more conscious of this considering storage is a premium in an rv.
Exactly. I emptied the pass through yesterday and removed the fake wall to see what I could do there. What a mess. Looking at the octopus that is my heater, it could have easily been mounted five or six inches closer to the steps. That air return area is a huge waste of space. Nothing I can do about that, though.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #8
gregrc75

I did the same in my 25RDS. Also, I moved back the panel in the bottom of the pantry. They had it installed about 10” from the back wall. I was able to move it back about 8” and gain more space there.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:28 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Curious, In our trailer under our pantry is the "electrical center", below that is a vented area that has the wiring coming in (well that from below the trailer) and the converter. I imagine it is vented for the equipment. But to the left of this which is below the storage in the bunkroom is just deadspace that is not divided to the 'vented electrical area'.

The question is - If I use this space am I compromising any part of the design for the electrical space venting?

thanks
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:52 AM   #10
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Curious, In our trailer under our pantry is the "electrical center", below that is a vented area that has the wiring coming in (well that from below the trailer) and the converter. I imagine it is vented for the equipment. But to the left of this which is below the storage in the bunkroom is just deadspace that is not divided to the 'vented electrical area'.

The question is - If I use this space am I compromising any part of the design for the electrical space venting?

thanks
To my knowledge the only space that is "off limits" is the return air space for the propane heater.

I noticed there is empty space behind the electric fire place and considered putting a piano hinge on it to access behind it for storage. The reality is, we still have drawers and cabinets that are empty so I have no need for it at this time.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #11
Dallasrules

I have been considering a similar mod, but mine is a little bit more complicated. I also have a large amount of wasted space in an area that joins under the sink. When you come in the front door, there is a wall. I have a matching cabinet door that I took off a cabinet I mounted a fireplace in. I want to cut into that wall and mount the door. The problem is that the water lines and the sink drain lines run across the opening. I plan to reroute the water supply lines to run along the floor and a 90 degree elbow would then take them up to the sink. I can't do anything about the drain pipes, but they are very sturdy and I could work around those and still use the space. Space is limited in my kitchen and awkward to access, so I could use this. We store a lot of items in the cabinet in the bedroom meant to house a washer/dryer, but it is a ways from the kitchen. Our other wasted space is under the bunks in the bunkhouse. Absolutely nothing there. We took out the bunks and put in jackknife sofas and in doing so, lost the access to that space from above. I think in the future I will add some doors on the front of the bunks to access that storage as well. We have already moved the wall back in the cargo hold. Gained about 6" of floor space there. I love a good mod.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod