Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 03:21 AM   #1
HouseMouse

Water Heater Operation 120V or Gas?

New to us 2019 Laredo 325RL. It has both a 120V and a LP On/Off Switch on the operational panel inside. There is also an On/Off switch on the Water Heater itself. The Owners Manual doesn't explain beyond that. When do i use the 120V switch and, when do I use LP switch? or do I switch both on?

...and where is the Water Heater Bypass valve located?

Just checking BEFORE we head on our first deployment.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:39 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
New to us 2019 Laredo 325RL. It has both a 120V and a LP On/Off Switch on the operational panel inside. There is also an On/Off switch on the Water Heater itself. The Owners Manual doesn't explain beyond that. When do i use the 120V switch and, when do I use LP switch? or do I switch both on?

...and where is the Water Heater Bypass valve located?

Just checking BEFORE we head on our first deployment.
on mine you can use either electric or lp or both at same time…recovery time is faster with both on at same time but i have found using just electric works well for just my wife and i ..we take multiple showers a day and we don’t run out of hot water.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:59 AM   #3
Texas Steve

We use both for faster recovery time. Either way, make sure there is water in the tank prior to turning on any fuel source. The switch on the outside of the water heater can be left on and use the control panel switch to turn on or off. Good luck on your 1st trip!
Old 06-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #4
Diver

i use the outside switch for a safety .. when i drain the water in the fall i turn off switch outside so there is no accidental activation to a dry tank as it will burn out heating element ..
I use electric at camp ground .. but turn on both when taking showers as above poster stated

edit...on 2 of my last rigs..if you burn out the electric element the whole camper went into GROUND FAULT ..took me a week the first time to figure out why ....
Old 06-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
dutchmensport

When you are at a campsite and the electricity is included, then use the electric on the water heater. Why use your own gas when you have already paid for the electricity?

If you pay electricity separate or you do not have an electric hook-up, then use gas.

As stated above, if you run both at the same time, hot water recovery is faster.

The switch on the outside of the is turned off when you drain the water heater. It's a safety so if the switch inside the camper gets flipped on and there is no water in the tank, it would burn out your water heater heating element.

So, if you drain your water heater and leave it empty, always flip that switch off. Flip it back on, only after you've filled it up again. Then if the switch inside the camper gets flipped on.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
HouseMouse

Thank You for all the advise. Better understanding now. Also found the By-Pass.... You can see the Water Tank through the First and Second Vented steps to the Master B-Room. Or, for the best view remove the side wall in the Pass-Through storage area. Also found the Water Pump in there. Thread Closed.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Thank You for all the advise. Better understanding now. Also found the By-Pass.... You can see the Water Tank through the First and Second Vented steps to the Master B-Room. Or, for the best view remove the side wall in the Pass-Through storage area. Also found the Water Pump in there. Thread Closed.
As stated-closed

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater