Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Agree 100%, our first set were Camco, and after about three years they were very brittle and one blew away in a wind storm.
We have MaxAir now.
Had that happen once with the aero roof cover. Thought I saw something go in the mirror, stopped at a rest stop, looked up and the top half was gone.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #22
mike95776

I put the maxair covers on my vents as well for the reason's others have mentioned...

The other thing I am trying is putting UV resist clear spray paint on the sky light in the shower area... hopefully this will increase the life of the cover... I think it needs to be done once per year... anyone have any experience with doing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uv spray paint.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	38619  
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #23
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
I put the maxair covers on my vents as well for the reason's others have mentioned...

The other thing I am trying is putting UV resist clear spray paint on the sky light in the shower area... hopefully this will increase the life of the cover... I think it needs to be done once per year... anyone have any experience with doing this?
Hi,

While I haven't used this product,.... I do use Aerospace 303 over the entire roof (x2 per year) for the same reason. I have heard Aerospace 303 referred to as "Suntan lotion for your RV roof".

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post

Have you looked at the Krylon website for reviews?
https://www.krylon.com/products/uvre...clear-coating/

5 star 7 reviews
4 star 0 reviews
3 star 2 reviews
2 star 1 review
1 star 9 reviews

Seems there are more "neutral/negative reviews than positive reviews"... Granted, most are from "color fade" or "artwork ruined", but.....

I would stick to Aerospace 303, it's a "tried and proven effective UV protectant"... Why "reinvent the wheel with a product that other people have not found to work well, when there's a cheaper product already in use that has done the job for years... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:59 AM   #25
Scttw

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Hi John, I have a quick follow up question before I place an order for 2 of the MaxAir 2's.

The bathroom is a no brainier - I measured them last weekend. The frame AND the cover are both exactly 14".

However - the kitchen turbo fan that has the switches to raise and lower and control from the panel, is slightly different. The frame is indeed 14", but the cover is larger at 15". Could be to accommodate the raise/lower motor.

Does the maxair have enough clearance to cover the 15" cover? The ceiling is way TF up there, that's why all the switches are at the panel. This is that high powered turbo fan.

Thanks in advance!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

The MaxxAir and the MaxxAirII are both shipped with adjustable brackets. They should fit any OEM fan that Keystone has installed with no problem.

Then there's the FanMate which I have not worked with. I'd guess it's similar to the other MaxxAir products and will fit any standard vent or fan...

You can download the instructions and specifications here: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...covers/maxxair

Personally, I think you'd be OK with any of the three, but my choice would be the MaxxAirII

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-27-2022, 03:31 AM   #27
Scttw

Thanks John!!!!!!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 06-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #28
Scttw

Quote:
The MaxxAir and the MaxxAirII are both shipped with adjustable brackets. They should fit any OEM fan that Keystone has installed with no problem.

Then there's the FanMate which I have not worked with. I'd guess it's similar to the other MaxxAir products and will fit any standard vent or fan...

You can download the instructions and specifications here: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...covers/maxxair

Personally, I think you'd be OK with any of the three, but my choice would be the MaxxAirII
Update - both installed.

Obviously the bathroom is a no issue and straight forward.

The "Fan-Tastic" fan installed fine BUT the lid does NOT open all the way as the cover is not tall enough. It does open about 50% and it's certainly far enough to work Okay. I just thought I would update this for others.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 06-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Update - both installed.

Obviously the bathroom is a no issue and straight forward.

The "Fan-Tastic" fan installed fine BUT the lid does NOT open all the way as the cover is not tall enough. It does open about 50% and it's certainly far enough to work Okay. I just thought I would update this for others.
You've got to dig deep on the Maxxair website to find their FAQ section, but here's their response to the bolded comment in your post:

"3. My fan will not fully open underneath the MAXXAIR II, will this damage the fan or restrict the airflow?
A. All vent covers are approximately the same height. All automatic opening lids on high-powered fans are equipped with current sensing circuits that will automatically shut off the lift motor when an obstruction is encountered or the lid reaches the end of its travel. This is normal and will not cause excess wear or shorten the life of the fan.
The small amount that the lid does not open underneath a vent cover has no effect on the airflow. Our testing has shown that once the lid is open approximately 50% that the fan will achieve maximum airflow.
It is safe to install a vent cover on any style high-powered fan."

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/s...t/maxxair-faqs

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-07-2022, 02:26 AM   #30
Scttw

Quote:
You've got to dig deep on the Maxxair website to find their FAQ section, but here's their response to the bolded comment in your post:

"3. My fan will not fully open underneath the MAXXAIR II, will this damage the fan or restrict the airflow?
A. All vent covers are approximately the same height. All automatic opening lids on high-powered fans are equipped with current sensing circuits that will automatically shut off the lift motor when an obstruction is encountered or the lid reaches the end of its travel. This is normal and will not cause excess wear or shorten the life of the fan.
The small amount that the lid does not open underneath a vent cover has no effect on the airflow. Our testing has shown that once the lid is open approximately 50% that the fan will achieve maximum airflow.
It is safe to install a vent cover on any style high-powered fan."

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/s...t/maxxair-faqs
LOL, interesting ...... that's exactly what I decided that 50% was good. It will literally hold a piece of cardboard tight to the vent.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 06-07-2022, 05:56 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
LOL, interesting ...... that's exactly what I decided that 50% was good. It will literally hold a piece of cardboard tight to the vent.
Yep, and that's likely the same procedure that the "highly technical engineering team at Maxxair" used in their sophisticated testing and validation process...

In other words, keep on keepin' on, it'll be OK even on hot days LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
cover, roof, vent