Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
Dan.in.Seattle

Couple questions on my Springdale 179QBWE

A couple things I can't figure out. My owners manual is severely lacking. There are a couple cable outlets behind the TV that are not labeled. I've connected to all of them with no results. I was hoping the saucer shaped thing on my roof was an omnidirectional TV antenna, but if it is, I can't figure out how to hook up to it.
Below the saucer on the side of the trailer there is a "satellite Prep" outlet, but again I can't find any info about it.

I've enclosed a couple photos to see if anyone recognizes what these are??
Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	39474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlets.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	39475  

Recreational RV'ers
Keystone Springdale 179QWBE
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Tow Package
Dan.in.Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your roof top UFO is an omnidirectional antenna. Performance will be affected by any number of factors. When using it the booster has to be ON, press the button and the light should come on.

That loop is for cable/satellite. If you hook up park cable that loop stays installed and the booster is turned OFF. If you hook up a sat dish, then the booster stays OFF, take the loop off. One end is SAT IN and the other is SAY OUT to tv.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your roof top UFO is an omnidirectional antenna. Performance will be affected by any number of factors. When using it the booster has to be ON, press the button and the light should come on.

That loop is for cable/satellite. If you hook up park cable that loop stays installed and the booster is turned OFF. If you hook up a sat dish, then the booster stays OFF, take the loop off. One end is SAT IN and the other is SAY OUT to tv.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it another try but what is that cigarette lighter thing?

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
Terry W.

The lighter thing is where the antenna booster gets it power. There is a small push button that turns the booster off and on. On green light
no green light off
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #5
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
The lighter thing is where the antenna booster gets it power. There is a small push button that turns the booster off and on. On green light
no green light off

Thanks, I tried again and still not getting any reception at all. I pushed the small button and the green light comes on and nothing is hooked up to the lighter socket. Maybe because I'm hooked up to shore power?? I tried a couple different cables just in case. Might be where I'm parked. I have it next to a big tree that could be blocking the reception. I'll try it again next time I move the trailer.

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
MarkEHansen

That cigarette lighter thing is a power outlet, providing 12V for whatever you want, but it won't provide much current. The antenna jack just below it is what you should connect to the TV's antenna connection. Make sure the booster is turned on and then tell the TV you want to scan for off-the-air channels (not cable channels).
Old 04-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
MarkEHansen

I was going to say that it seems like you were wondering if you needed to connect something to that 12V power port to get the TV to work, and the answer to that is No.

Also, being connect to shore power doesn't stop any 12V appliances from working. They run off the batteries - which are being charged by the converter while you are on shore power. Likely, your TV is plugged into a 120V outlet, so it will only come on when you are connected to shore power (unless you have some Off The Grid set up).
Old 04-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
wrvond

So, to sum it up:
Leave the jumper coax in place unless you are using satellite.
Connect a coax from the connector just below the 12v power outlet to the antenna in jack on the back of your television
turn on the amplifier (green light on)
Select antenna for your signal source on the television (aka "over the air")
Scan for channels on your television
You should get at least a few channels coming in pretty solid with probably the majority showing occasional pixilation and then several more that are simply unwatchable.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Dan, the directions given will yield over the air television reception IF you are within the distance necessary to receive stations. Go to the Play Store and download DTV Antennas app. This will tell you which stations you can expect to receive. Since you appear to have an omni directional antenna, you should get all the stations the app claims you should in any direction. Are you within, say, 50 miles of television transmitters? Is the ground fairly level (hills kill TV signals)?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
Dan.in.Seattle

Problem Solved

Thanks for the help everyone.

I figured out the problem is in the TV. Carried it into the house where I have a known good antenna connection and still could not receive anything. Had it set to Air and TV but didn't work. Something wrong inside the TV with the antenna connection. I did find out it works with the DVD player in the trailer, and a fire TV stick, so as long as I'm in a campground with a good WiFi connection I should be good. Stereo entertainment system works fine too so it will be good enough for my upcoming trip.

Recreational RV'ers

Tags
springdale