Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
lestahhh

Is it normal for water to collect outside water heater assembly?

Hi everyone again. Today I noticed water coming out and I opened the cover and saw water pooled at baseplate (where you see dark coloring in picture). Drops were coming from the blue nozzle at top. I had just taken a long shower. So I just assumed the heater tank is refilling and once water was heated it pressurized so that nozzle was for releasing said pressure. The water pooled did feel somewhat warm.

My eyebrow is raised bc it seems like there should be a better way for the water to collect or drained rather than collected at bottom of baseplate, which kinda now looks rusted.

Thanks for input. 2020 Springdale 295.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220406_222104634.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	39163  
Old 04-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestahhh View Post
Hi everyone again. Today I noticed water coming out and I opened the cover and saw water pooled at baseplate (where you see dark coloring in picture). Drops were coming from the blue nozzle at top. I had just taken a long shower. So I just assumed the heater tank is refilling and once water was heated it pressurized so that nozzle was for releasing said pressure. The water pooled did feel somewhat warm.

My eyebrow is raised bc it seems like there should be a better way for the water to collect or drained rather than collected at bottom of baseplate, which kinda now looks rusted.

Thanks for input. 2020 Springdale 295.
Thats a temp and pressure relief valve …are you using a water regulator? You may have too much incoming water pressure….I believe there is a air pocket in your tank that acts as a internal expansion tank to compensate for increased pressure from heating water..someone will post the procedure for that
Old 04-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That blue thing is the pressure relief valve. There should be a pocket of air at the top of the tank and you may have lost it. Best way to get it back:

Turn off the water heater and the water source. Make sure the water heater has cooled off. Turn a faucet on on the hot side to release all pressure. Leave the faucet open and remove the drain plug or anode rod at the bottom of the tank.

If it’s an anode rod, look at it and if it’s more than 50% degraded replace it. After the tank is drained, clean it out and re install the drain plug or anode rod. Use thread seal and tighten as needed.

Leave the faucet on, hook up the water source and turn it on. When the faucet quits spitting air your done.

If the pressure relief valve still leaks replace it. You can get a new one at any big box hardware store. There are two different size threads.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Sometimes opening and closing the pressure relief valve a few times will help it clear and re-seat the seal. It is worth a try before doing the above suggestions. Be careful, the contents will be hot and under pressure!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Sometimes opening and closing the pressure relief valve a few times will help it clear and re-seat the seal. It is worth a try before doing the above suggestions. Be careful, the contents will be hot and under pressure!
It might work but you also release the air from the needed gap.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It might work but you also release the air from the needed gap.
I've found that connecting an empty hose to the camper and routing the incoming water through the water heater injects plenty of air into the system when needed.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
Javi

Just for giggles I'll ask...

Are you by any chance using both the Electric and the Gas to heat the water...

If so.... pick one and turn the other one off... then see if it quits leaking..

Just a well educated guess...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Every camper I've had (4 of them now) has had water pool in the same spot. Usually, it pools because the water heater drain is leaking slightly, one drop at a time. Simple tightening usually takes care of that.

On occasion, the pressure relief valve will drip also. (on all of mine). I have found that simply releasing the valve and letting it reset took care of any drip there.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
wegone

T&P valves state right on the tag to unseat the valve to maintain a good seal, etc.... it's rubber.

BTW, make sure if you replace your T&P valve it is the correct operating and temperature range, they do come in different sizes, you never want to exceed your safety range and you NEVER want to cap it off, never.
Most of the RV use a small probe, never cut of the temperature probe to because it's too long and won't fit in.... you can get pressure only, just make sure it meets the call out on your water heater which MUST be listed on a metal tag attached to the heater.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater