Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
Rvcowgirlatheart2008

Solar and 2021 Fuzion 379

Hi Everyone! I’m knew you this forum and we got our TH in October and currently are in Colorado. Our rig came Solar ready and we are ready to start looking at getting solar power now. I’ve done some research but can’t make much of the best way to calculate power needs, battery needs, and how the panels should be attached. I’m looking for some good videos/easy to use calculators, and any other suggestions that might help us move towards using Solar power. We live full-time in our rig and it’s just been me but the rest of the family will be here after the school year. As a result I don’t know how much power we might use on a given day. I guess it would be good to know how easy it would be to add more panels or batteries as well if I underestimate. Thanks for any advice.
Rvcowgirlatheart2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off congrats on the new home. Without knowing what your looking to power, it’s a guessing game as to how much solar you may need. Do you have a residential type fridge? What battery(s) are installed at the moment? Does your trailer have an inverter?

There are several brands of solar, and some allow you to build your own system while others have prepackaged ones. Who is doing the install? I’m sure others will chime in, but let’s see if we can’t get you on the road to solar.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forun! DW has sister & BIL that live in Divide and they go doen to the "Springs" and the base almost daily. Beutiful area.

Chuck is spot on in his post. First thing to do is discover what you have then access what you want to run vs what's realistic to run. We have several members that are far more experienced than I but setting up your goals and expectations comes first.

That's a nnice looking rig and it's going to take a strong pack mule, not a thurobred race horse to carry it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
Rvcowgirlatheart2008

We have the full size RV that came with the RV. We just have a deep cycle battery right now but will want to change to lithium. I wish I new the answer on the inverter….that is my I’ve never owned an RV and not something I haven’t been forced to learn yet as new things are always popping up ��. I just know there is a box in my storage area that says Solar on it. We haven’t moved far enough along to make a decision on the install.
Rvcowgirlatheart2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
markcee

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't seen this already, the Keystone website offers a good primer on solar basics in their Solar FAQ section

In addition to the many knowledgeable folks here that can answer any specific questions that come up as your project progresses, searching the forum will yield many threads with pics that discuss the complete step-by-step solar install process.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #6
travelin texans

Welcome! Sorry I can't help with the solar questions .

If you'd go to the "user CP" tab in the black header bar then scroll down to "edit signature" adding the year, make, model of your rv & tow vehicle, with photos if you like, then to the bottom of the page to "save changes". This info will be every helpful in asking future questions as that information will appear on every post you make so others are not asking "on what rv?" with every question.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvcowgirlatheart2008 View Post
We have the full size RV that came with the RV. We just have a deep cycle battery right now but will want to change to lithium. I wish I new the answer on the inverter….that is my I’ve never owned an RV and not something I haven’t been forced to learn yet as new things are always popping up ��. I just know there is a box in my storage area that says Solar on it. We haven’t moved far enough along to make a decision on the install.
I think your first step should be an inventory of exactly what you have. Take the packet of paperwork that the dealer gave you. In that tome of paperwotk there should be instruction manuals, maybe installation instructions, and warranty registration information. Set down at the table and find the information on whatbsolar panel, solar charge controller and battery you have. If you don't have that paperwork call the dealer and demand they give you this along with the build sheet. The build sheet is a list of what the factory installed.

That's your starting point. It's going to take some effort on your part to find out what you have because the only way to alter or improve what you have is to know what you have. After that base line is determened then you can look at how you intend to use it and develop a plan to reach that goal.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
BandT

Welcome to the forum! We have been down the path you are on, just a little bit ahead of you. We are living in our RV full time at the moment, and have been upgrading our solar since before we got it. Our dealer was less than no help with solar, even with electrical experience its been a steep learning curve. I agree, take inventory of the equipment you have, watch a days worth of YouTube videos. Check out the DIY solar power forum, lots of good information there. Now access your skills, and those you have available to you. If your like us I wish I could have found someplace/someone that would have pointed us in the right direction with out getting their hands to deep in our pockets. So here we are a year later, much smarter, a little poorer, and still working on it. My best advice is see if you can establish a relationship with someone at Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, or Inverters R Us. They were both helpful, and have fair prices. The best single thing I have found in solar equipment is “Victron” if you are tech savvy. Expensive yes but quality too. Best of luck to you!

Tags
fuzion, solar