Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2021, 06:28 AM   #1
Butters

City Filling Freshwater

Hey team,

2021 Outback 335CG.

First time Camper owner, so I’m learning as I go. I noticed when the wife and I took the camper for her maiden voyage of 2 days, that the fresh water tank always seemed to have water in it. So I’d just drain it and not think anything of it. Mainly just assumed that it was a byproduct of a camper.

We stayed in the camper for about 30 days while we waited for our house to become available at a full hook up spot, and then took it to sturgis.

We noticed while at sturgis, with full hooks, that water would flow out of the fresh tank vent after a night of being hooked up, when “city water” was selected. Not full flow, but a trickle. I also checked, and my fresh water tank was full after a night, even though we had never flipped the valve to fill the fresh tank.

Now, I would love to take it back to a dealer or authorized repair location, but I’m in the military and currently using it as my home away from home.

So with that? Anyone know what’s wrong with it? Can I fix it? Is it something I should be concerned with?
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:55 AM   #2
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Hey team,

2021 Outback 335CG.

First time Camper owner, so I’m learning as I go. I noticed when the wife and I took the camper for her maiden voyage of 2 days, that the fresh water tank always seemed to have water in it. So I’d just drain it and not think anything of it. Mainly just assumed that it was a byproduct of a camper.

We stayed in the camper for about 30 days while we waited for our house to become available at a full hook up spot, and then took it to sturgis.

We noticed while at sturgis, with full hooks, that water would flow out of the fresh tank vent after a night of being hooked up, when “city water” was selected. Not full flow, but a trickle. I also checked, and my fresh water tank was full after a night, even though we had never flipped the valve to fill the fresh tank.

Now, I would love to take it back to a dealer or authorized repair location, but I’m in the military and currently using it as my home away from home.

So with that? Anyone know what’s wrong with it? Can I fix it? Is it something I should be concerned with?

Do you happen to have a picture of your convenience center showing how all of your valves are positioned while on city water?

It sounds like the power fill/city water valve is not closing all the way allowing some water to bypass and go into the fresh tank.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
Marinerjoe

Another possibility for your potable water tank filling is a faulty or just stuck check valve on the discharge side of your water pump.

One way to try to reset the check valve is to do the following:
  1. Turn off the city water supply.
  2. Open a faucet to relieve pressure on the system.
  3. Turn on water pump and open a faucet to confirm water flow.
  4. Close faucet
  5. Turn off water pump.
  6. Open a faucet to release pressure. Close faucet.
  7. Turn on/reconnect city water.

This SHOULD reset a sticky check valve.

Good luck,

Joe
TV: 2022 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB
Marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Butters

This is how my connection panel looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	36919  
Old 11-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Do you happen to have a picture of your convenience center showing how all of your valves are positioned while on city water?

It sounds like the power fill/city water valve is not closing all the way allowing some water to bypass and go into the fresh tank.
That is what I was thinking. My next step was to remove the panel and see if I could get to the valve. Just fear messing something up worse.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
bobbecky

Most likely cause is the check valve in the water pump has debris in it allowing water to flow backwards into the fresh tank. We had that happen some years ago, and solved the problem by installing a check valve in the PEX line on the pressure side of the water pump. Have never had an issue with that since. You might try running the water pump for a while, seeing as you have a full fresh water tank anyway, and maybe the water flow will clear the debris from the valve and fix the problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Butters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Most likely cause is the check valve in the water pump has debris in it allowing water to flow backwards into the fresh tank. We had that happen some years ago, and solved the problem by installing a check valve in the PEX line on the pressure side of the water pump. Have never had an issue with that since. You might try running the water pump for a while, seeing as you have a full fresh water tank anyway, and maybe the water flow will clear the debris from the valve and fix the problem.
THIS WORKED! I did a mixture of this and the previous posted suggestion of resetting the valve. Run the pump for a while and then shut it off and cleared the lines. Working like a champ now!

Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
THIS WORKED! I did a mixture of this and the previous posted suggestion of resetting the valve. Run the pump for a while and then shut it off and cleared the lines. Working like a champ now!

Thanks guys.
You've probably got a FloJet pump. Keystone and other RV builders are notorious for drilling holes in the tanks to make connections. Typically they leave the "drill shards" (plastic shavings) in the tanks. Those shards will migrate to the low point pickup, get sucked up the pump inlet line and into the pump head where they "foul the diaphragm" which also serves as the backflow preventer on newer pumps.

Your fresh water tank has "more fun in store for you the next time a drill shard gets lodged in the pump"..... You'd benefit greatly (and your pump will thank you) if you install an inlet strainer on the water supply line from the tank to the pump. It's a simple "clamp on style" and costs less than $8 from Amazon.

I'd urge you to consider installing one while the pump is still working. It's cheap insurance and even 6 years after buying our trailer, I still find debris in my strainer screen every year when winterizing.....

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...1%2CB001HKZHIW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOJET PUMP STRAINER.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	36925  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water