Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 04:54 AM   #1
Bombo80

2021 Hideout maiden voyage

So my wife and I are taking out our 2021 Hideout for its maiden voyage, this weekend.
A couple issues .....
It is going to be 30 degrees overnight. I have some 3/4" water pipe insulation to put around the water hose hooked up to the city water connection.
Anybody tired this before ?
Also, the refrigerator seems not to be cooling. I checked it this morning, after being plugged in overnight. I had it plugged in the night before, but the cord came unplugged and I didn't see it.
I have it set for "Auto" to run either on electric or gas. I put a fridge thermometer in it last night also. I will check it again when I get home this afternoon. Hopefully it will have cooled down some more by then.
Any suggestions ??
TIA
Bombo

2021 Hideout 177RD
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500LT
Bombo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
curtiscapk

Bombo,

Not sure on insulation, we're going to get heated hose.
On the fridge the same thing happened to "Keith" the first time out. Exact same model. Here are some tips.

1. The sooner you get the propane on the better. This will get the fridge going without electric. (some don't like rolling with propane on, I don't mind I'd rather have cold food) My bro has done it for years with no issues. You can decide on this.
2. Camper has to be almost level for fridge to work properly. Mine has a big tilt in the driveway, it didn't start going until we were level and moving.
3. There's a sensor on the fins inside the fridge I slid mine around and it may have helped or just coincidence.

I hope this helps! We need pics too!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #3
Bombo80

OK, thanks for the tip on the trailer being level. Ours is definitely NOT level at this time. It is hooked to the truck, ready to pull out right after work.
Probably grab a cooler for temporary food storage.
I have the propane turned on also. Hopefully it will start running once we get on the road.
Prior to last night, it had been level, but not plugged in to the house power.
I will let you know how things work out.
Thanks again,
Bombo

2021 Hideout 177RD
Old 10-22-2021, 05:24 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

What you need to know is overall temps. 30 at night 50 as soon as sun comes up is no big deal. When you get freezing temps 24 hour cycle than you need to prepare and there are many things you can do to prevent freeze problems.
I can only guess that the unit has a covered bottom and has a heating duct directed into it. If so, the furnace being on will keep that area freeze free in temps you mentioned.
I base that advice by dry camping in cold temps teens at night above freezing all day. With this trailer and last one along with 2 friends in different units. My problems have been when no temps get above freezing. Sometimes nightly to 0 to 10f. daytime mid 20s. It seems once one thing freezes others follow soon after.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
travelin texans

If there's a chance the supply hose will freeze, covered or not, be sure to fill the fresh water tank once you arrive to use if freezing does occur. It's easy to drain if not needed, but much harder to fill if the hose is frozen.
As for the fridge. A new rv on it's maiden voyage it may tank a while for the air to purge from the gas line for the fridge to light. Fire up all the burners on the cooktop & let them run a bit to help with the purge. Remove the grates from the cooktop to do this so as not to warp them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
jb44588

Is your Hideout set up for extended season? Meaning you have an underbelly cover which help keep your lines from freezing when you run your heater. You should be good at 30 for a few hours. You might want to let a little water run to be safe.
I always use propane for the initial cool down, it much more efficient and faster. Cooling time all depends on the outside temperature. Electric takes about 24 hours to cool down. I have always run with my propane on while driving. When I bought my 2020 Passport it flips to my truck battery while driving. To run on propane, your camper needs to be within 3 degrees of level. I use a phone app to check it.
Have a great maiden voyage and may there be many more trips to follow.
jb44588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of points about "using insulation on the hose"...

Remember that insulation keeps heat out just as effectively as it keeps cold out...

What that means is this: When the sun goes down and the temperature starts to fall, insulation "can" protect your hose from freezing. Tomorrow morning, when the temperature starts to rise, that same insulation "can" prevent your hose from thawing.

In temperatures where "it gets close to or just below freezing for a couple hours" the most effective way to manage resources, for most people, is to fill the onboard fresh water tank and simply disconnect the city water hose. Tomorrow morning, then the temperature rises again, reconnect the city water hose.

It's the same with insulation on plumbing runs that are in the "basement" or "belly" of a trailer. Putting insulation on the pipes can keep them from freezing a bit longer, but once they freeze, that same insulation prevents you from getting heat to those same pipes, effectively preventing you from thawing them......

If you're going to insulate, insulate the space, including the heat source, not the "intimate space" around the pipe or the hose while excluding the heat source.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Bombo80

Thanks for all the tips. I will probably fill the FW tank, just to make sure we have water. I am not sure about the belly of the trailer, whether it is setup for an extended season. I literally have had it at home for just under 3 weeks. And with life and work schedule, I have not had much time to delve into every part of the trailer. I was focused on getting used to the water system, FW, grey tank and black tank. Draining them, and how to do it properly. Getting the water heater running, and all the electrical stuff. I thought I had the trailer plugged in so the fridge could cool down, but the cable got giggled in the garage and got unplugged unknowingly.
I still think we will still have a good time. I just looked at the weather forecast, and it is showing under 32 degrees from midnight to 8am. I will have to think about having the water line hooked up or not.
Thanks again

2021 Hideout 177RD
Old 10-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Bombo what ARE the projected temps where you are heading? At 30 degrees I wouldn't worry much. "Maybe" put some water in the fresh tank but highly doubt that would be required. Until temps get in the 20s for sustained periods (several hours) I don't do anything and haven't had a problem. Sustained cold, I carry a heated hose. Where you live I would invest in one as well.

Maiden voyage; prepare as best you can and make sure to dot the I's and cross the t's to make sure nothing breaks. After that it's an adventure (don't want it to be an expensive adventure!!). Have fun as I'm sure you will and let us know how it went. Good luck!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #10
Bombo80

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

We had a wonderful weekend !! The temps got down to 29, Saturday morning.

I decided to fill the fresh water tank, and not take the chance of a water line freezing.

JB - thanks for the tip on the fridge. Once I got the trailer on the street in front of the house, I turned the propane on, and set the fridge to auto, and I actually could hear the igniter clicking. By the time we got to the camp site, the fridge was at 35 degrees.
Perfect !!

Full hookups are EXTREMELY nice to have. The campground doesn't have full hookups at all the trailer campsites. So there was quite a line at the dump station, when we were preparing to leave.

Flushing the black and grey tanks worked great !! And after the fill level sensors actually got cleaned a bit, and were showing accurately. One tip I got from a good friend was to flush the black tank drain hose, after draining the tanks. That worked really good, since the water supply was right there. I just extended the whole tube, and ran water through it, and made sure it actually filled the entire tube. Now it is clean and capped for the next time.

Time to get it cleaned out and winterized before taking it to the storage facility.

2021 Hideout 177RD
Old 10-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #11
jb44588

Sounds like you had good maiden voyage experience.
Leave Winter camping open as an option. Do a spontaneous trip on a nice sunny weekend where daytime temp are above 35. You camp like you’re tent camping but lot more comfortable. I still use the kitchen sink, when I leave, I put the pink stuff in the p-trap and stop at the dump station on the way out. A lot of State parks leave one loop open and the bath house is heated. Winter camping is a completely different experience and everyone should try
6.6 Duramax Diesel
jb44588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #12
LCrabtree

Water Filter Freezing

I learned the hard way that the filter will freeze and break. I grew up in country where it froze at night for many nights in a row. We would typically wrap the outside pipes and faucets, but just disconnect and leave open any hoses (at the house). The first night with our Bullet where the temps dropped into the teens, I simply disconnect the filter from the faucet / hydrant and left the hose attached to the filter, but disconnected from the trailer. Overnight = 17F - in the morning, the filter was cracked wide open, the hose was fine. After that on extra cold nights I brought the entire hose assembly inside and put it into the shower / tub. Problem solved!
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #13
Bombo80

Thanks for the tip, LCrabtree

2021 Hideout 177RD

Tags
hideout