Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
truenorth

Exclamation Water heater leaking

Hi,
In May this year we got our brand new Premier 29rk. Recently I noticed that the floor under the kitchen sink is wet. After further investigation and checking pipes, hoses and the drain I realized that the water comes from the water heater and seeps into the cabinet under the sink.

The water heater is installed under the kitchen like a kitchen cabinet size and it is NOT accessible. From the out side of the trailer the water heater is dry.
Any advise is welcome.
Thanks.
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There are water lines going to/from the water heater on the back of it. There should be access to it inside the trailer, you may have to remove an access cover. I would suspect your leak is probably a loose fitting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

We took delivery yesterday and during walkthru I was peeking under things...a LOT of pex crimps. The makers prolly squeeze hundreds of times a day and likely dont re-calibrate the crimper like you are supposed to. They have less expensive crimp tools now (like under $60 compared to well over 80)

You are not the first person I heard from so perhaps a crimp tool should be part of a campers TO&E!
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:11 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
Hi,
In May this year we got our brand new Premier 29rk. Recently I noticed that the floor under the kitchen sink is wet. After further investigation and checking pipes, hoses and the drain I realized that the water comes from the water heater and seeps into the cabinet under the sink.

The water heater is installed under the kitchen like a kitchen cabinet size and it is NOT accessible. From the out side of the trailer the water heater is dry.
Any advise is welcome.
Thanks.

Our water heater is directly next to our kitchen sink. We have a rear kitchen model as well. To access, you need a Robertson bit (square head) and remove a couple of screws holding the panel covering the water heater. Once you get there, the pex and hot water heater bypass are fully accessible. There really are only two ways a water heater can leak; 1. Suburban models have steel tank and can rust through. (not likely in a new camper) and 2. Pex line connection is leaking. As has been pointed out, most likely a bad crimp.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
We took delivery yesterday and during walkthru I was peeking under things...a LOT of pex crimps. The makers prolly squeeze hundreds of times a day and likely dont re-calibrate the crimper like you are supposed to. They have less expensive crimp tools now (like under $60 compared to well over 80)

You are not the first person I heard from so perhaps a crimp tool should be part of a campers TO&E!
There are 2 different styles of crimps used in RV plumbing. Ring and band, I have both crimpers in my tool box, but I don’t carry them with me. I’m interested in which one gets re calibrated and how it’s done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #6
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

the bands that look like 'keystone' clamps you might have seen on cv axle boots and the like, just with much more squeeze, ymmv with each tool, but there is a 'standard' that comes with the tool and instructions that usually read something like 'release the lock lever, insert the standard, squeeze fully and re-lock'

Basically you make sure that it squeezes enough as they loosen. Dunno if you can squeeze a band too much.

FWIW, I have both, pex clamp AND keystone clamp tools in the box...the keystone clamp tool WILL NOT squeeze enuf for pex.

also the clamp bands (keystone - fitting eh? almost a pun in here) are always stainless which is of interest and you only need to attack from one end, when space is tight....plus they are easier to remove.

so far in the peeking I have done, its all clamp bands but YMMV.

I know I use the terms clamp vs crimp interchangeably and technically they are not so peek before anyone buys a tool. if you go crimp rings, also get the go/no go tool to test each connection.

(Im not a plumber and dont play one on tv anymore, but when you remodel the house....yanno)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

OP find that panel and expose the rear of the water heater. There will be connections there that may have come loose causing a drip. You might also keep in mind that the tank itself might be defective. Don't know which brand you have but the Atwood 6 gal. tank is aluminum. I had a water leak into the closet and into the floor in one of our trailers. Ran it back to the water heater. Had to pull it to find a faulty weld in one of the seams on the tank. It was at 18 mos. and yours is maybe 5 mos? A little longer timeframe but that stuff happens so take a good look.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
cw1001!

I park my TT at my house an always have the water hooked up and turned on. With this story of leaks scars me into thinking "I better not leave it turned on"! Funny thing is when ever I leave my house more than a day, I turn the water off in my house.

2013 Keystone Cougar 22' Travel Trailer
2019 F150 EcoBoost
4 Point Equalizer
cw1001! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1001! View Post
I park my TT at my house an always have the water hooked up and turned on. With this story of leaks scars me into thinking "I better not leave it turned on"! Funny thing is when ever I leave my house more than a day, I turn the water off in my house.
When camping, we NEVER (did I say Never Ever) leave the campsite with the city water turned on. When dry camping, we never leave the campsite with the water pump turned on....

When you "dig deep into any trailer" you'll see that the PEX is marked with a 120 PSI rating, but those damned plastic elbows and tee's are only rated for "whatever they'll hold before they split". With all the twisting, bumping, vibrating and temperature changing that goes on when towing, I wouldn't trust those plastic fittings to hold much more than their own weight if you walk away with the water system pressurized.....

And then, we haven't yet even talked about those plastic "cone foam fittings" that connect all the faucets and toilet. Twist them a "tad too tight" and they split along the seam. How many did "Joe Schmoe at Keystone" over torque? How many did the "PDI guy" overtorque and how many have you twisted "just enough to stop that drip" only to find out in a month that any of them were "just a tad too much" ......

Never trust travel trailer plumbing to be "stable, secure and safe from leaks"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
travelin texans

Never leave rv with water turned on!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are 2 different styles of crimps used in RV plumbing. Ring and band, I have both crimpers in my tool box, but I don’t carry them with me. I’m interested in which one gets re calibrated and how it’s done.
https://www.sharkbite.com/products/pex-clamp-tool
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have that one, bought it at Lowe’s about 5 years ago. I’ve never recalibrated it and it hasn’t failed to put a cinch ring on tight enough yet. I also have the one that does rings, with the go/no go plate.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have that one, bought it at Lowe’s about 5 years ago. I’ve never recalibrated it and it hasn’t failed to put a cinch ring on tight enough yet. I also have the one that does rings, with the go/no go plate.
Yep, I have both as well and I've had them since I remodeled my house years ago... I keep a good selection of fittings and rings along with the tool in my spare parts box... I've always done a quick check with the gage before using but I've never had to recalibrate it.. I've had it in the past three trailers and I've used it maybe 6 times for myself and three of them were for replacing the black tank anti-siphon valve... I do occasionally use it to drag someone else's butt out of the fire in campground emergencies
Old 09-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

that looks like the one I have...see that weird metal key looking thing? that is the standard...
Old 09-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
that looks like the one I have...see that weird metal key looking thing? that is the standard...
Yes it is..
Old 09-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #16
ObiRich

If it's brand new, I'd contact the dealer and pursue warranty. There could be other damage from the water, i.e. floor.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #17
ThaddP

Water Leaks on New Rig

We also have the 29RK but our water leaks were under the shower pan. We took it back to the dealer twice for plumbing leaks and they found that the factory installers are crap plumbers....maybe good farmers though.
Have your dealer go over all the plumbing and check for water ingress in the floors before your warranty is up.
ThaddP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #18
Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaddP View Post
We also have the 29RK but our water leaks were under the shower pan. We took it back to the dealer twice for plumbing leaks and they found that the factory installers are crap plumbers....maybe good farmers though.
Have your dealer go over all the plumbing and check for water ingress in the floors before your warranty is up.
I bet the shower drain was 1 1/2 and the pipe below was 1 1/4. BTDT
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, leak, water, water heater