Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
ruthietoons1

Toilet Trouble

I bought a used 2019 Keystone Springdale. The guy said he blew out the lines, but I don't think he understood what all that entails. We replaced the cracked valve at the back near the floor and fixed the lines by the water heater. After using the camper for the first time, it developed a pretty horrific smell. I emptied the black tank, filled again and used more chemicals, let sit, emptied again, and then filled with Happy Campers added. We ran a pipe down the sewer vent--no clogs. The smell when the toilet flapper is open seems better. However, there's a nasty urine/poo smell coming from the back of the toilet, and that's what seems to be filling up the room. I thought I detected a slight breeze coming out of the back. Ideas?
ruthietoons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Is it a Thetford toilet? If so and it's like the ones I had it can leak water (clean and not so clean) inside of the pedestal and then it stands in pockets built into the corners of the toilet. After it has done that a while the poo/urine smell is always there. I always pull a Thetford and put in a Dometic.

Now if you're getting a breeze coming out of the back.....? The toilet should be sealed into the black tank which would be sealed other than the vent. The toilet seal at the bottom might be distorted, bent or missing (hopefully not).

If the previous owner only "blew out the lines" to winterize in Farmington he messed up. He should have used anti freeze and that's why you have all the broken things.....and may have more yet.

Just to see what's what I would pull up the toilet (very easy) and see what's what under/inside it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
ruthietoons1

Thanks. I think it's a Dometic, but that's good to know about Thetford. We are ordering a new one with a porcelain bowl. Hopefully it's something like what you are talking about, and replacing the toilet will fix the issue. I had read all about black tank, venting, and flapper issues, but this one seemed to be outside of those boxes.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
JDDilly

If he blew out the lines totally when winterizing, there should be no issue with lines. I have only used air for over 20 years with not one issue.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
ruthietoons1

I don't think he knew how to do it properly.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
If he blew out the lines totally when winterizing, there should be no issue with lines. I have only used air for over 20 years with not one issue.

Totally is the key word which means much more than just putting a compressor on the inlet and opening faucets. Many, maybe the majority, of folks (that use air pressure only) "blow" out the lines but don't do it "totally" and skip things like black tank flush, outside shower, water valves etc. then you get "broke" stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

If you know campers, excuse my advice as it is basic. Keep a LOT Of water in the toilet prior to using; if it leaks down into your black tank, the seal needs cleaning or replacement. There is no P trap as most are just a straight pipe to the black tank or almost straight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Dometic 300 toilets had a batch where the internal seal rolled when they assembled the toilet. This allows anything sitting in the bowl to leak into the outer shell and “ferment”. Dometic did not issue a recall because it was not every toilet, but they did identify a range of serial numbers possibly affected.

The first step (unless you have a bore scope to stick into the opening in the back of the toilet) is to pull the toilet and inspect the shell for an accumulation of “liquid”. While you are at it, you can inspect the floor flange for cracks.

I had an affected toilet and Dometic replaced it at 18 months no charge. While investigating, I found a cracked floor flange from when the trailer was built that allowed sewage to leak out and rot the floor from underneath. I JUST finished tonight with the floor replacement and installed and tested the new toilet. Keeping my fingers crossed but we should be good for camping this weekend!

I took pics along the way but don’t want to spoil anyone’s dinner by posting, but can send some examples if you want to DM me.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
ruthietoons1

“Totally” is definitely the key word for blowing out lines!

I think the pooling inside the toilet may be what happened with this one. Pretty sure there’s some good goo in there, and we resurrected it when we started using it. I’m glad you folks can attest to it. I was worried buying a new toilet might not quite fix it. Really hoping there’s no seepage in the floor!

Tags
toilet