Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
BobKat

Roadmaster Active Suspension

I have a 38' fiver that I haul with a 2012 Dodge 2500 Super Duty. Been absolutely great for five years of full timing. Does anyone have experience with the Roadmaster Active Suspension units? I haven't had any real problem with sway or control but my springs,etc. are getting older and this looks like a good upgrade.
Any experience or comparison to air bags?
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #2
JackinDixie

My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 diesel. I installed Firestone Ride-Rite airbags when the truck was new. Not real expensive, easy to install, and made a HUGE difference in towing!

This past October we traded/down-sized from our 2015 Cougar High Country 333MKS to a 2021 Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS. Realized after the first tow/trip we needed better suspension for survival of the rear kitchen setup (broken wine glasses, lots of items shifting, etc.). I installed the Roadmaster Dual Axle Shock Kit from e-Trailers. With a bit of help from my brother-in-law, we installed the kit in about 6-7 hours. The first trip after installing the shock kit was 110% better than that first towing experience of the new -29RKS! I am now a true believer that ALL RVs should come with factory installed shocks. It made that big of a difference for us and I've owned/pulled 3 other RVs over the past 20 years.

So for me, the Ride Rite airbags and the Roadmaster Shock Kit have made towing 5th wheel RVs a smooth ride for the Ram and the Cougar-29RKS. No chucking-n-bucking, and zero swaying make for a very relaxing tow. Wish I had known this 20 years ago with my first RV (Weekend Warrior 25' toyhauler TT).

Safe travels!
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
BobKat

Thanks for the info. I'll research the air bags more before I decide.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have AirLift bags. Firestone and Airlift are the only two I would choose from. Get the on board air as it allows you to make changes as you drive to meet current conditions, and you can air down once at the campground for a much better ride without the trailer..No need to look for a compressor or air station when you hook back up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote