Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
gepaine

How To Get Prompt Service On the Road?

We are staying at Chatfield State Park near Denver for 4 nights and have been trying to get our TT serviced. (See my other thread about a lump under the vinyl floor.) I called 4 RV dealers that Keystone told me were authorized repair centers. All told me that I would have to wait 2 to 4 weeks to get my problem fixed.

I admit it's not a problem that keeps us from continuing on our journey, but there is a risk that we might step on it and either damage our foot or punch a hole in the vinyl.

None would try to work me in as an accommodation to the fact that we are on-the-road, and obviously can't interrupt our trip for 2 to 4 weeks. Keystone told me that it was an easy repair which I am guessing would take about an hour to fix. None of this mattered to any of the dealers - including Camping World which I called first because I had bought the TT from a Camping World back home.

They all siad I would have to go to the back of the line, and a couple said they gave priority to customers that had bought from them. (I live 1500 miles away so it's not like I had an opportunity to buy from them and chose not to.)

Has anyone had a similar experience? Were there some magic words or secret handshake I needed to know about?

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Bump in floor

Not exactly on topic, I had a similar bump in the floor. I realized that I had to look below. After careful measuring, I cut into the chloroplast directly below.

I found that a carriage bolt holding the wood floor had backed out causing the bump. I was able to put a vise grip on it and tighten it back up. I backed it with a nut.

If you age slightly handy, you might give it a try.

Getting service, even under warranty, can be frustrating on the road.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
christopherglenn

Call a mobile repair service, they tend to respond FAR faster..
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
campingcpl

Sorry to hear about your trouble. It's never fun running into a problem while you are on the road. I would assume that the reason you are running into so much trouble trying to get this fixed is because it is something that wont really affect you continuing on your trip. Like others have said you might be better off trying to fix it yourself or possibly trying to find a mobil repair service.
We just finished a 2 week trip and ran into a problem that I wasn't able to fix myself and needed the help of a repair shop. The problem we had would of prevented us from continuing on our trip till it was fixed. We got lucky and found a dealer (wasn't even a Keystone dealer) close by that took the time to fit us in and fix our problem so we could continue on our trip. Maybe you could call around to some of the other places (not just a Keystone dealer) and see if maybe you could get lucky and someone will fix it for you. The only problem would be you would probably have to pay for labor and any materials they would use. If you are looking to get it fixed under warranty then what you might consider is finding a Keystone dealer at your next stop and call a head to set up an appointment for when you get there. It's an option if you can live with the bump till then. If they know you are coming maybe they could open a slot to fix it for you. I hope this helps and I wish you luck in getting your problem fixed.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Call Independent Parks

You are in a state park, so obviously, they will not be much assist as they shy away from any possible contingent liability. Call KOA; Woodall listed, Good Sam listed, or others near your location. Ask them for names and numbers of rv service providers they might recommend in your area. MANY have bulletin boards with service providers names and numbers. I had a problem in AZ and there were 6 names on the board. I asked and was referred to whom they believed was most reliable.

Another possibility is the local Chamber of Commerce.

Get that "Smart Phone" or computer to work and you will be fine. I cannot believe you are the first person to have issues away from home. There is competent assistance someplace even if it's in the next town.

2 years ago, a piece of debris knocked out the cord on my old TT. Drug it along, no trailer brakes. Called my daughter, 400 miles away, had her scout the internet and find me a place 40 miles away. Called and went in.Took ALL DAY as I was the last thing they did, BUT, we were again safe and secure and about our business and we only lost 7 hours....small price to pay for safety,

Now I have an I Pod and mi fi wireless with me, fully charged whenever we travel. Live and learn....S - - - happens to ALL of us. These things are mechanical and not built by NASA...

Good luck...it WILL work out,,,,
Safe travels.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
sandy43

Most campgrounds have access to Mobile RV Repair. Usually their pretty good and treat you right. Used them in the past when I didn't have access to certain tools. Your problem, I think can be repaired without any problem.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote