Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
bigfoot1939

Smile Ripples on front face of 07 Laredo TT

We would be interested in learning if anyone else has experienced our issue and if Keystone has had warranty issues in this area.

We have an 07 Laredo 13bhs. We have had various small problems but now a big one. In August 2010 we had all new decals installed. We washed the trailer and put it in outside storage with a new Expedition Cover. We live near Ocala, Florida, middle of the state.

We checked the trailer at least once a month between August and February and everything looked good. We did not take the cover off.

Two weeks ago we uncovered the TT to get ready for travel and were very surprised and disappointed to find ripples all over the front of the trailer. The sides were fine. We found no signs of water damage inside.

We talked with one dealer and sent pictures. They said it was leaking and the cost to replace the front would be about $2500.

We took the trailer to another dealer who examined it and said it was not leaks but "de-lamination". We were told it appeared to be cosmetic but we should re-seal the roof for about $400 as a normal (every 2-3 years) maintenence job. We were also told by this dealer that if it really bothered us it could be replaced for about $2000.

This a lot on bucks to fix a cosmetic issue. We know it's ugly but that is still a very expensive fix. We are thinking the $400 re-seal is the way to go.

Any information would be very appreciated.

Bill
bigfoot1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
jq1031

Bill, that does sound like de-lamination! Have you called Keystone for their imput? I would think that a water leak would also show on the inside. I also live in florida & a covered RV, due to the humidity down here could cause de-lamination as it needs to get ventilation to have air circulation & let the moisture out.
joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Bob Landry

It sounds like delamination to me also. If a leak developed and water wicked down into the luan and was behind th wall covering, the delamination could easily go from the inside out and you might never see evidence of it on the inside of the trailer. How does a roof leak? Aren't they covered with one-piece rubber?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Bill, I have a new cover in my shed used one season on my last trailer. When I removed it in the spring there were small holes worn around the edges of the rubber roofing from the cover chafing against it. I live in a windy area and will never cover a trailer again. I know some people have no problems but I now think that these trailers are made to be in the elements and with regular cleaning and maintenance hold up very well without covering. If you can, check all the edges of your roof for wear. The slightest hole can cause a lot of damage. Your damage may be only cosmetic now but if there is moisture in the wall it can get worse.
No matter which repair you decide on, I hope you will be enjoying your Laredo again soon. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
bigfoot1939

Joe,

thanks for your reply. I ahve been talking to 2 different dealers. One has said nothing about contacting Keystone and the other has said Keystone has had de-lamination issues but not with this model or this year. I will be going directly to Keystone asap.

thanks again

bill
Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
bigfoot1939

Bob,

What I have learned is in the case of our trailer it does have a large one piece rubber covered roof. However, there are seams around the A/C unit, vents for sinks and toillets and sky lights. Additionally there is a single seam across the top front of the trailer where the fron "plate" is connected. All of these are supposed to be checked and perhaps re-seales once every 2-3 years according to one dealer I spoke to.

Hope that helps.

Bill
Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
bigfoot1939

Hank,

thanks, I am hoping to learn whether or not the cover helped cause this, if so it's bye, bye.

Bill
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Paolo

Laredo Delamination

Hello, I am a new member and this is my qst post. We have a 2007 Laredo travel trailer and have been very happy with it after the initial BS items to fix in the 1 year warranty period. We have maintained it every year with roof inspections. In August 2010, we noticed a recession in the front wall and did not pay too much attention. This spring, my service dealer saw it and told us it was delamination. He said all apppeared to be perfect visually until he touched the roof / fiberglas joint and noticed that it was never cured from the factory. He repaired 5 last year, 2 were covered by Keystone. His estimate for the repair $3500. I had our insurance adjuster look at it and they called it lack of maintenance and not covered since no external damage was done to the trailer.
I contacted Keystone Customer Care and they told us to have the dealer send a PreAuthorization form. He did and it was rejected. I called the selling dealer yesterday and said to repeat the same exercise with not too much enthusiasm to help us. My next step is to push Keystone to step up and help us, at least share some of the repair cost. Have you had any luck getting Keystone to help ?
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Delamination -- Causes?

Delamination takes place when layers of fiberglass separate from one another or from the "backing" to which it is applied --- walls, roof, etc. The dealer who said it was Keystone factory issue may be correct. If there was a bad or incorrect mix of resin and fiber, improper application, or poor shop conditions (too much moisture or dust) at the factory, any one or all of these could result in delamination. Keystone, of course, would deny being at fault or admit to sloppy or incorrect application.
Another cause is the penetration of moisture/water between the fiberglass and the backing - wall, roof, etc. The moisture causes the bond between the two to break down and the fiberglass pulls away. You can notice separation in the form of bubbles and/or soft spots.
If the cause of the delamination was at the factory, then it may be a smaller, cosmetic fix. However, if it is due to moisture/water leaks, then it more serious and not exactly cosmetic. If the source of water entry is not discovered or repaired, the delamination will progress and worsen.
Unfortunately, these kinds of fiberglass repairs are not cheap and usually not left to the do-it-yourselfer.
I would focus first on the leak cause and do whatever you can to track down the source of it and eliminate the problem. If you do discover a leak - get it fixed - and can either live with the bubble, mask it (with a decal??), then you should be alright. If the delamination is being caused by a leak, then just having the fiberglass repair done without solving the leak problem would be a waste of time and money.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot1939 View Post
We would be interested in learning if anyone else has experienced our issue and if Keystone has had warranty issues in this area.

We have an 07 Laredo 13bhs. We have had various small problems but now a big one. In August 2010 we had all new decals installed. We washed the trailer and put it in outside storage with a new Expedition Cover. We live near Ocala, Florida, middle of the state.

We checked the trailer at least once a month between August and February and everything looked good. We did not take the cover off.

Two weeks ago we uncovered the TT to get ready for travel and were very surprised and disappointed to find ripples all over the front of the trailer. The sides were fine. We found no signs of water damage inside.

We talked with one dealer and sent pictures. They said it was leaking and the cost to replace the front would be about $2500.

We took the trailer to another dealer who examined it and said it was not leaks but "de-lamination". We were told it appeared to be cosmetic but we should re-seal the roof for about $400 as a normal (every 2-3 years) maintenence job. We were also told by this dealer that if it really bothered us it could be replaced for about $2000.

This a lot on bucks to fix a cosmetic issue. We know it's ugly but that is still a very expensive fix. We are thinking the $400 re-seal is the way to go.

Any information would be very appreciated.

Bill
I had the same problem on a Sprinter. I also live in Florida. Keystone Rep says it is because we covered it, and it baked it in the heat of the sun. Funny, it happened during the winter.

Keystone says it is merely cosmetic, and they will not pay to fix it. They did offer to provide the parts for free, but Camping World wants $1600 for the labor.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
bullet1

Angry 2010 Bullet 278 RLS lamination problem

My trailer is less than two years old and the front cap is delainating no water leaks. I took it back to the dealer and they are checking with keystone.

Note: The new trailer are coming out with a fiberglass front cap.
bullet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
scotte303

keystone laredo delamination

We picked up our new Laredo 294 RRKS on May 21st. I just noticed that the back of the camper appeared to have bubbles/ripples in it. On closed inspection it appears that there is no glue holding the outside panel on, just the roof molding and window molding. Is this delamination?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Scott
scotte303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte303 View Post
We picked up our new Laredo 294 RRKS on May 21st. I just noticed that the back of the camper appeared to have bubbles/ripples in it. On closed inspection it appears that there is no glue holding the outside panel on, just the roof molding and window molding. Is this delamination?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Scott
That is NOT delamination.

The Filon rear walls of most Keystone campers are just hung, relying on all the fixture cutouts to hold it in place, compared to the side walls which are compressed and bonded together then screwed into the side frame.

It's wavy appearance gives the wall a look of delam but is fine

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote