Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Kwaidonjin

Touch screen control panel

Got our new 2021 Outback 341 RD. Was wondering if I can replace the control panel with one of the Touchscreen ones that allow you to use your phone to control it. So far all I can find says No.
Kwaidonjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

All you found is right. Unless you want to do a complete rewire of the trailer and buy the central computer and the control panel you have to stick with what you have. You are really not missing much and probably have a better chance of troubleshooting if something goes wrong with your present setup.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your talking about “in command” your better off WITHOUT it IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I 2nd that opinion. If I ever buy another trailer (which I don't plan on doing ) it will have switches instead of the in command..
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Agreed looking into new trailers now. I don't want or need my trailer to think it's smart. Simple switches as far as I'm concerned. I just want it to work and if not field repairable.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
revrusty

I have the control panel and wish I didn't. Just looks like a time bomb waiting to fail. Any opinions on doing away with the 'smart' panel and installing switches?

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Around 2012/2013, Keystone started installing a "glass panel touch screen" in a few of their mid-range/upper-range brands. THAT FAILED MISERABLY !!!!! Within a year, over half the panels stopped responding on the lower row of "touch capacitance switches"... A few had catastrophic failure of the entire switch row, some had a single switch failure, some had multiple switch failures. Keystone stopped using that system midyear 2013 (I think) and returned to the old "manual switch panels" in all their models. They had a "dealer centered recall" to replace panels with the old technology for members with failures. That lasted a year or two....

I often wonder how many owners were (or even now) are having to foot the bill for major electrical rewiring of slide switches, tank level systems, awning switches and even overhead light switches??? How many of them can even find a similar manual switch panel or worse yet, can cut off/disconnect the bottom switches that no longer work and replace them "piece meal" as they fail???

Talk about a major expense for someone that's not familiar with high/low voltage wiring systems !!!!!

No thanks, I'll leave the "In-Command" system to those who have lots more faith in Chinese technology than I do !!!!! IMHO, the same applies to the Key-TV system.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know if those screens were in response to the competition (either to catch up or beat them to the punch) but anytime something like that that is "New" and results in a rush to the market it doesn't end well. Those that buy it become the research dept. and true to Murphy the failures happen at the most inopportune of times.

Now it's Key TV. Maybe after the first few thousand failures they'll figure it out and fix it. I just saw where Winegard acquired WIFIRanger so who knows where that will lead.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The same "type of consumer introduction" occurred with JAYCO and Goodyear Endurance tires. About 3 or 4 years ago, when the Endurance line was first being marketed as a replacement for the failed Marathon line, Goodyear and JAYCO entered into a marketing agreement to install Endurance tires on all JAYCO trailerable lines. I've no doubt that Goodyear offered the tires at a substantial discount to achieve the market share... Fortunately, it appears there are no significant issues with the tires, but the risk to gamble with a new product on an entire corporate product lineup.... Essentially, JAYCO owners became the "consumer test group" for Goodyear's new ST tire line. If it had turned negative, it could have nearly destroyed the JAYCO corporate lineup....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control panel