Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
rdlhunter

Cougar 2021 27RES

Where is the fresh water tank located. If I fill it at home is it going to make my camper fish tail above 50 MPH? Rather fill it with city water rather than campground untreated well water, only 5 miles to campground.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlhunter View Post
Where is the fresh water tank located. If I fill it at home is it going to make my camper fish tail above 50 MPH? Rather fill it with city water rather than campground untreated well water, only 5 miles to campground.
What's the tow vehicle; make, model, drivetrain, weight specs from the driver door? What kind of wdh/sway control do you have?
Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

On a five mile trip I don't think you will be spending much time above 50 mph. Fresh water tank is usually very close to the water inlet connection. If you are worried about reducing your hitch weight store your heavy items in the front pass through to balance the load and maintain hitch weight but for a short trip like that I don't think you will notice any difference with water or not. Stop worrying and go camping. (With water) JM2¢, Hank
Old 07-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

OP, your profile says you have a Laredo 337rl. Your question is about a Cougar 27RES? Did you get a different trailer? They are significantly different. Helps with answering questions as accurately as possible.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #5
rjsurfer

Water tank is in the rear of your camper.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
Old 07-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
rdlhunter

rjsurfer

Thanks for answering the question. To bad they don't install the fresh water tank in front of the trailer wheels.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for answering the question. To bad they don't install the fresh water tank in front of the trailer wheels.
Do you tow with a 450?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
rdlhunter

Sourdough

None of your questions are relevant to the questioned asked!
Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Your initial question asked was if filling the fresh water tank would make your truck fishtail. Probably given the right circumstances. My question;

"What's the tow vehicle; make, model, drivetrain, weight specs from the driver door? What kind of wdh/sway control do you have?"

Anyone that tows any RV knows that weight placement, distribution has everything to do with how the truck handles....and the truck will dictate that along with any sway mitigation device. Seems relevant and of course you didn't respond.

My question;

"OP, your profile says you have a Laredo 337rl. Your question is about a Cougar 27RES? Did you get a different trailer? They are significantly different. Helps with answering questions as accurately as possible." (I see that you now changed your profile)

Simple question trying to clear up what appears to be a disparity and a big difference in weights and how it may affect this or that TV. Could not find a Laredo 337rl, just a GD 337rls. Relevant it seems.

Your comment:

"To bad they don't install the fresh water tank in front of the trailer wheels."

My response to that given you had not responded to the other questions about your trailer and TV:

"Do you tow with a 450?"

Again relevant. Knowing if your fresh tank is in the back of the trailer actually tells you nothing without knowing the rest of the equation. Much time is spent designing RVs trying to achieve weight distribution. FW tanks, in the front of a unit that has the shower and bath there would drastically alter that distribution and cause a very "weight forward" condition which would then lead to my question.

Not trying to argue. Simply pointing out that the questions were relevant given zero information to answer the question you posed. If all you wanted to know is the placement of the fw tank you can look at the floorplan.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Danny, He asked if his camper would fishtail and not his truck. Why spend so much time trying to justify questions that might possibly help make an intelligent answer when the OP was obviously evasive?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Danny, He asked if his camper would fishtail and not his truck. Why spend so much time trying to justify questions that might possibly help make an intelligent answer when the OP was obviously evasive?

Had time on my hands???
Old 07-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
It might. Most likely not on such a short trip. It all depends on the loading and can you keep enough tongue weight/pin weight.

Go slow, after the first trip you'll know how it behaves and what corrective actions to take.

In another post you said you were new to camping so glad you are asking questions.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 07-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

OP, after George's inquiry figured I would give a little insight into my questions.

Decades ago I was taught "blind (unspecific) questions" get "blind (unspecific) answers". When you question the effects of filling your fresh tank on the camper, hence the truck, to give you a "specific", useful answer one needs to know more than the trailer model. That size trailer will undoubtedly have an effect on the TV; some more than others, especially if not equipped with proper sway control.

With those givens I don't think it is wise to give any definitive answer to the question without further specifics to quantify what is being asked. Why? I faced my "let's load her up and head down the hill - it'll be OK" moment many years ago and ended up staring over an embankment of several hundred feet; cheating disaster by about 6'. And, I was going maybe 30 mph. I'm not going to advise anyone on anything that might put them in that position.

Sorry George. Just wanted to give a little further clarification on why I responded as I did and illustrate the importance of giving all the facts of a given situation to get a useful answer. Today though, in about 10 minutes, I won't have "time on my hands" any longer.....going to pick up DW so my routine is going to "change".
Old 07-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Danny, you worry too much. Anyone asking a question about sway at 50 m.p.h. for a 5 mile trip can't be serious. If safety was such a concern then I would think they would be eager to share what they were using to tow it with, both truck and hitch.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Danny, you worry too much. Anyone asking a question about sway at 50 m.p.h. for a 5 mile trip can't be serious. If safety was such a concern then I would think they would be eager to share what they were using to tow it with, both truck and hitch.
And they're going to tow it that 5 miles at whatever speed behind whatever they have regardless of any of the opinions/advice given here & we'll never hear about it again.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Two kinds of posters who try and answer questions... those who answer like a grade school kid when Daddy asks how his school day went and those like Danny who take their time to try and provide intelligent detail. There are two kinds of folks who ask questions and the first are those who really don't care what the answer is for a variety of reasons (is the truck I already own adequate to pull the 52K lb trailer I already bought) and those who actually are looking for help in a genuine way. When you match up the detailed intelligent answer to the genuine questioner then things become clear and answers provided. Any other combination of question/answer results in a massive waste of time. Thanks for taking your time to explain Danny and OP.... blaaaaaaaaah
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 07-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
ronheater70

Quote:
Holy Cow every question was relevant to the question you asked, Nice to ask questions when new to a activitiy but I for one hope the dang thing fishtails enough to the left and right to wipe the smugness off your face, others here are probably a lil nicer though.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

And this question has been answered for the OP. Thank you everyone for playing. This thread is closed.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Closed Thread

Tags
cougar