Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
mjsibe

Towing

I have a 2014 Chevy express 3500 passenger van
Tow a 2014 Passport 3100rk ultralight
Been across the country with it
It has enough reserves for towing my unit
Better to have more than needed
6.0 V8 6 speed trans with tow mode
The Van's have a longer wheel base than the suburban clones
It helps with control
Hope this helps
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #22
Dgarrett

Thanks for that info! At this point we are looking for a lighter trailer. The Denali is the TV for the next few years so we just need to make it work. I really appreciate all the insight.
Dgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #23
Kylemcmahon1

Like others have said. I would be looking close at a hybrid camper. They have a ton of sleeping options for small campers. Compared to a full travel trailer.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #24
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Do some more research and contemplation !!!

The ratings you cited are at two different ends of the spectrum.

You cite the MAXIMUM tow capacity for the vehicle model and you cite the MINIMUM weight/tongue load for the trailer...

That's like saying a vehicle has a MPG rating of 18 city/26 highway/25 combined and a 10 gallon tank, so every one of them (regardless of how it's driven or where) will always have a range of 180 miles city/260 miles highway/250 miles combined. So, if I put 9 gallons of gas in the vehicle, I KNOW I can make it to grandma's house without refueling, regardless of any negative impact from rain, snow, winds, traffic or other conditions...

Put simply, attempting to pull a 35'11" (really a 36' trailer) that weighs 8800 pounds with a 12% tongue load (1056 pounds) before you add the 125 pounds for the hitch, is at best "optimistic" and closer to "foolish dreams", especially when hitched to a vehicle with a maximum trailer capacity of 8100 pounds...

Will the Denali have the "power to pull it" ?? Yeap.

Will the Denali have the suspension, tires, axle ratings to carry that much tongue weight along with your family, the cargo you'll have in the vehicle AND pull it in adverse conditions, when you need the most control to prevent injury to your loved ones??? Now that's not an equation where you can use "maximums on one end and minimums on the other and come out equal"....

I won't say it's impossible to make it move forward if hitched together, but towing is much more than forward movement capacity.
And what about 'frontal area', hardly ever mentioned and generally buried deep in the owners manual.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
skmct

general motors makes both the suburban and the Yukon in a 3/4 ton (2500) series. you may find a dealer that will be happy to take your 1500 in trade plus some green of coarse.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #26
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgarrett View Post
Thanks again everyone for the comments. We were also discussing the limitations a motorhome would have and the need to have a tow vehicle sounds like a pain. We are looking into smaller lighter trailers. The big kids might just be putting up a tent!
Toy hauler and convert the garage to bunks if not already. Then get a 1 ton dually diesel to pull it.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing