Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #21
bjstager

Thanks everyone. We are looking at all options. The crosswinds in the desert were crazy! We made it and are on the last 2 days of our journey. We have traveled 4700+ miles and thankfully have a good and safe driver. It was not fun or relaxing though. Likely joining the club of trading in the TV if we stick with this trailer. But having just purchased this Keystone and being 4 weeks old and found on our trip that the trailer has a short in the 50amp electrical line and had to have mobile service run a new 50amp leg from the shoreline plug to the breaker box we are not impressed. Sure, under warranty but being 3 hours from closest authorized service place we had to pay upfront to repair. The trailer had “hot skin” on all metal. Appears during cabinet install someone likely screwed into the line as acres are used that are 1/2 inch to long in cabinets.
bjstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #22
bjstager

Thanks. Not ignoring. Learning. And we have learned. Don’t believe the dealer. Did a bunch of research prior to purchase, but clearly the best is first hand knowledge.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #23
MarkEHansen

Don't assume that problems like the wiring issue are particular to Keystone. You'll find issues like this across all manufacturers. Just get it fixed and move on. That's really the point of the shake-down run anyway - to find as many of these things as you can and get them fixed while the warranty is still open

I really feel bad that you must consider an upgrade to the TV, but we really struggled with this too. You'll feel better after it's all done. Real safety is worth a lot.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjstager View Post
It was not fun or relaxing though.
When traveling over long distances while trailer in tow, who doesn't want the most relaxing experience? When you don't have it, the excitement is lost and the knuckles become sore.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
bbells

I agree with the others. I used a Lincoln Navigator to pull my 26 foot trailer. Even with anti-sway bars it was horrible in the wind or when trucks went by. The wheelbase was too short for the trailer. Not to mention all the mechanical problems it had. Sold it and got a Toyota Tundra with almost 400hp and have never had a problem.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #26
Scott in Michigan

R3 Failure

I hate to add to your woes, but you might want to just abandon the CAMCO R3, for other reasons.

Look at my recent experience with that hitch model, here:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39739

Scott & Gin
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
bjstager

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We are looking at all options. The crosswinds in the desert were crazy! We made it and are on the last 2 days of our journey. We have traveled 4700+ miles and thankfully have a good and safe driver. It was not fun or relaxing though. Likely joining the club of trading in the TV if we stick with this trailer. But having just purchased this Keystone and being 4 weeks old and found on our trip that the trailer has a short in the 50amp electrical line and had to have mobile service run a new 50amp leg from the shoreline plug to the breaker box we are not impressed. Sure, under warranty but being 3 hours from closest authorized service place we had to pay upfront to repair. The trailer had “hot skin” on all metal. Appears during cabinet install someone likely screwed into the line as acres are used that are 1/2 inch to long in cabinets.
Thanks everyone. We have learned the costly lesson of believing the salesman at the RV dealership. We traded in our Tahoe and now own a 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6 Turbo-Diesel v8. Happy traveling to come
Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #28
MarkEHansen

Keep an eye on the payload capacity of that truck (using the yellow/black sticker in the driver's door). As I understand it, the 2500 diesel trucks don't have much to spare.

Happy Camping!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #29
notanlines

BJ, good on ya! Put all this behind you and remember this: All us old fart 'know it all's' on this site know it all for a reason.....we already made the mistakes we write about. Some of us admit it, some, well, not so much.
Want to hear the story about the low hanging cable…..no, I'm sure you don't.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
BJ, good on ya! Put all this behind you and remember this: All us old fart 'know it all's' on this site know it all for a reason.....we already made the mistakes we write about. Some of us admit it, some, well, not so much.
Want to hear the story about the low hanging cable…..no, I'm sure you don't.

Awww, come on Jim, I think you have the photos to prove it...!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We have learned the costly lesson of believing the salesman at the RV dealership. We traded in our Tahoe and now own a 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6 Turbo-Diesel v8. Happy traveling to come

Great decision IMO!! Congrats. After you take it for a spin let us know how you feel about it vs your original TV. I think you will see a marked difference in the towing experience. I have never used a recurve wdh but suspect from reading about them that you can probably upgrade that experience even more by going to a 4 point wdh/sway - I use the Equalizer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone