Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
DarkElf

Lippert 3.0 jack fault

Hi All.

Not that it matters but I have a 36 foot 2015 Grand Design Solitude.
It has the 4 point Lippert 3.0 electric leveling system.
I started having an issue with the left front jack last fall. It faults out giving me an error.
When I called Lippert last year they told me to extend all the jacks at least 6 inches and then retract them and they would reset.
I did that and it seemed to work the first time or two. But it has reached the point where it faults out again as soon as I extend the jacks. So I have to manually level the camper every time.
I saw a Youtube video which suggested checking the electrical connectors which I did but I found no noticeable issues.

Anybody out there have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Getn off

I had "issues" with mine at first. Turned out it was just needing more blocks. Try using a few more blocks and make sure you are extending the legs out further. The fault usually means it is running out of leg adjustment...well, for me is was anyway. GL,
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
JMaster

I also posted a video of why my front jacks were giving me the error. It may help ya... let me know!

https://youtu.be/fSBBlWGTlOE
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Getn off

Hey JM. I noticed in ur vid that ur front legs are pretty far retracted there. If u try raising them to about abeam ur spare tire, then drop the legs manually, it probably wouldnt even need front blocks on that spot. I usually travel with them even with the spare now and manually drop them before I engage the auto.
I think the click u hear is actually just a relay that dissables the complete auto system because one or more jacks has run out of travel. Took me a few trips to realise this tidbit of info! Lol
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
ChuckS

I’d remove the plug connection on that jack motor and reinstall .. clear error by same method you used previously. If error returns and your not over extending the leg then hall sensor for that leg is failing
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

GC 3.0 is very "voltage sensitive", I spent over 2 hours one day with a tech from Lippert ( best tech support out there), and we were testing with a meter at various spots. Known issue with GC3.0 is if the voltage dips below 12.0 for any length of time, it will error. Using the display on the control panel isn't really telling the story, you need to be at the battery itself. How old is your battery and have you not only load tested it but checked each cell with a hydrometer?

You should be plugged in or on shore power anytime your using that system. The only other item to check is the rear sensor, It is mounted to the frame about 16 inches behind the rear axle. it MUST be mounted FIRMLY and any amount of movement will cause an error. WE are a GD dealer and I have seen this firsthand more than a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
DarkElf

WOW! Didn't know I got any replies because I never got notified - never got notified.
Anybody know a fix for that? LOL.

Anyway ...

Getn_off, After resetting the error via the extend and retract method the error reoccurs as soon as I begin extend the jack again. So, I don't believe it has anything to do with putting blocks under the jacks - though I always do that anyway.
But thanks for your thoughts.

ChuckS: Yup did the unplug/plug thing - at least at the control box end. Can't get at the point where the jack plugs to the harness very well. I appears okay but, maybe it isn't. Probably should fine a way to get to it to be certain.

JMaster ... you got me to thinking when you mentioned the battery the battery disconnect in your video. I remember switching that of last season and last season is when this all started.
I'll have to check that.
But ... won't the jacks just not work with it in the off position?
Why would it give an error on just the LF jack?
Strange.
I'm going to check that tomorrow because what you describe is exactly what I am getting.
The error comes back right away when I begin lowering the jacks.
You have given me hope.

Thank you ALL for your feedback. I will definitely get back to you one way or the other.
If this fixes the problem it just may help someone else one day.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
DarkElf

Chuckster57: Your thoughts seem to go along with JMaster's.
My battery is not old and I always bring it inside for the winter and charge it prior to using it. But ... who knows.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

You should be plugged in or on shore power anytime your using that system.
that doesn't make any sense Chuck, I have never been on shore power and the only time I have gotten the error is when I am in horribly unlevel sites and a miss judge the blocking I need so I run out of travel and the jacks cant compensate properly, as posted in the video.

now I do agree that your batteries have to be in good shape and maybe the batter that comes with the trailer might not be the best, but if you had to be on shore power how would you ever boondock?

I do have upgraded batteries ( 4, 6 volt and solar) so maybe part of the issue is the crappy batteries the Rv dealers include with the products, in addition to "we" the owners having to learn what the system needs for blocks and proper extension of the front jacks.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 AM   #10
ChuckS

The leveling system is directly wired to the battery so battery disconnect switch will not be a factor ... really need to get to the motor harness connector on the leveler leg faulting out and remove it and reconnect it. If there is a bit of oxidation on the connection it can cause your “LF” error due to hall sensor not seeing motion.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 AM   #11
foldbak

I had a lot of issues with mine at first. Big learning curve. What error are you getting? Out of stroke is the most common. The rear sensor on my rig was just hanging. They used the wrong screws... Once that was fixed I could properly calibrate it. Then I discovered that if I don't park on a fairly level pad the legs don't have enough range to level which will throw a code. Put some block under the legs. If the tires come off the ground put blocks under them.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...ting-Guide.pdf
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
Piereau

Me in my unit i have many time the error «*Rf jacks error «* the dealer change battery for a biggest , change the control board of the Ground control and the trouble come back again . Same if i works with plugged ( 30 amp ) or not plugged on the electric . I’starting to get tanned . And my dealer don’t have idea whats is the problem .
Piereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!!
Ground Control has a few quirks, one being voltage sensitive and the other being the front jacks extended evenly. We have found that the front jacks shouldn’t be more than 2 holes different.

Lippert has excellent tech support and customer service, you might want to call them.

https://www.lci1.com

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Piereau

true that GC 3.0 is very sensitive to everything because I have to reset the system every two weeks and change by the dealer 3 times the main board, I hope that the company really work to solve the problem fast .
Piereau is offline   Reply With Quote