Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Gpokorn

Water pump won't shut off

When at a campground and connected to their city water supply. Is that water pressure enough to provide to the sinks, shower, and toilet or should I turn the interior panel water pump switch on? When I have had it on, it seems the water pump does not shut off by itself. Thank you for offering guidance. I have a 2019 Springdale 5th wheel model 272FWRE
Gpokorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Campground water pressure can range from "not even minimally adequate" to "pipe busting dangerous".... You "should" be using a pressure regulator to protect your trailer system, even if the pressure "seems to be low" because in the middle of the night, when nobody else is using water, the campground pressure may spike and damage your plumbing.

Also, NEVER leave the trailer with the city water (or pump for that matter) turned on, if you happen to have a leak or pipe rupture, it can easily fill your trailer and when you return, you may find an "indoor hot tub waiting for you"....

As for the pump running when connected to city water, sometimes, the pump will "cavitate" (run without picking up water from the fresh water tank) and if the city water pressure isn't high enough, the pump may not shut off. That's not typical and I've only seen it a couple of times. Usually, with city water, there's no need to turn the pump on and if you do, make sure there's water in the tank or you may overheat and damage your pump head. They are "run dry safe" but extended "run dry conditions" can cause premature wear of the rubber diaphragm in the pump head.

So:

1. Get a water pressure regulator
2. Use it even if the pressure seems low
3. Turn your pump off and let the city water source supply your needs
4. ALWAYS turn the water off when you leave the campsite for any extended time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Gpokorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Campground water pressure can range from "not even minimally adequate" to "pipe busting dangerous".... You "should" be using a pressure regulator to protect your trailer system, even if the pressure "seems to be low" because in the middle of the night, when nobody else is using water, the campground pressure may spike and damage your plumbing.

Also, NEVER leave the trailer with the city water (or pump for that matter) turned on, if you happen to have a leak or pipe rupture, it can easily fill your trailer and when you return, you may find an "indoor hot tub waiting for you"....

As for the pump running when connected to city water, sometimes, the pump will "cavitate" (run without picking up water from the fresh water tank) and if the city water pressure isn't high enough, the pump may not shut off. That's not typical and I've only seen it a couple of times. Usually, with city water, there's no need to turn the pump on and if you do, make sure there's water in the tank or you may overheat and damage your pump head. They are "run dry safe" but extended "run dry conditions" can cause premature wear of the rubber diaphragm in the pump head.

So:

1. Get a water pressure regulator
2. Use it even if the pressure seems low
3. Turn your pump off and let the city water source supply your needs
4. ALWAYS turn the water off when you leave the campsite for any extended time.
Thank you very much! Yes, I use a water pressure regulator and will keep the interior water pump switch off. Curious, since I am a "new-timer" is that switch for the water used when we are running off our fresh water tank with no city water hookup? Thx again! GAP
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, essentially, the only time the water pump switch is used is when city water is not available and you are pulling water from the fresh water tank.

It's also used to winterize the plumbing by pulling RV antifreeze into the lines from a gallon jug, but that's not the main function.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
Gpokorn

Thank you! I'm sure I'll have more new-timer questiobs LoL!
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
travelin texans

Hopefully you have the adjustable water pressure regulator with a gauge, not the little restrictor they may have given you when you bought the RV. The restrictor is better than nothing, but not by much.
You should also have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable, connected to you shore power every time you plug in, too many older parks with who knows what condition the pedestal is in with too many electronics on these newer RVs to risk damage. Yes they're pricey, but so is a fridge, air conditioner, several TV's, microwave & the convertor, just to mention a few of the biggies.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump