Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
egpeil

2009 Raptor 3110 Power Converter

I'm pretty sure my power converter is going bad - power shutdown while running a/c full blast, lights dim and brighten and dim again. I found a new IOTA just like the one the owner's manual says it has but I'm not sure where is located. I assume it's behind the fuse panel and looking for confirmation although hoping it's easier to get to than removing the fuse panel.
egpeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Behind the breaker panel is the most common place since there is probably an outlet molded into the back side. If your panel is near the front, it may be easier to remove the back wall of the basement to access it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
ChuckS

I’d first verify the DC output of that converter. You may have had a low 120 volt issue from your park pedestal or some other feed issue.

I’d look behind the rear access compartment in basement and behind stairs for your converter

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The lights are all 12VDC, so if there is a 120AC "brownout" condition and low AC input voltage, the battery system "should take over" and provide 12VDC to keep all of the DC system operational. This is essentially the same thing as unplugging the shore power cord and the lights "seamlessly switch from converter to battery power. With your lights "dimming with a low voltage AC input power would suggest a battery problem.

I'd first check the batteries for low water level. Then disconnect the POS and NEG terminals and check the battery output. It should be around 13-13.6 VAC. While the terminals are disconnected and with shore power supplied to the trailer, check the output from the converter AT THE TERMINALS. You can not check the converter output with the batteries connected, you must remove the cables from the battery to do this check.
If there is low voltage, no voltage or high voltage at the battery terminals (when disconnected) then the converter is bad. If there is 13.6VDC at the battery terminals, chances are the converter is functional and not the problem.

Back to the beginning, if the 12 volt lights "dimmed with batteries connected" then it's likely a battery (not converter) problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
egpeil

That'll be my task this weekend then - do these tests. Thanks.
egpeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by egpeil View Post
That'll be my task this weekend then - do these tests. Thanks.
Looking back at my response, I think I need to clarify a point:

When you disconnect the battery cables, check the battery output "at the battery terminals"

While the battery (or batteries) is/are disconnected, check the converter output "at the battery cable terminals" (not the battery terminals)

With the batteries connected to the trailer battery cables, with shore power applied, you won't be able to check the battery voltage and you won't be able to check the converter output. Both are "interactive" so you must disconnect the battery terminals, check the battery separately, then check the converter (at the cable ends) to properly verify output.

Sorry if my first response might have been confusing. Good Luck and let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power, raptor