Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #141
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here are the specs per Keystone on the Hideout:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

It's a 7500lb. gvw trailer and 29'3" length ball to bumper.

I'm just going to make a couple of observations;

A 29-30' trailer is not a good companion for an Armada. It's a vehicle meant for "towing" a large family.

If I have interpreted right, the truck weighs 6360 at the scales vs a 7150 gvw. That was without the family, luggage, toys etc. so when fully loaded it will be pretty close to bumping max gvw.....with a 29-30' trailer behind it - it's not going to be easy to control in adverse conditions. And, if you deduct a 15% safety cushion from the gvw you would have 6077 lbs. And....the trailer is not fully loaded either.

Then there's the receiver.....and completely maxing out/overloading the suspension on a 9 year old SUV with a 29-30' trailer sailing along behind....and,.....and....

IMO it's not a good idea even if you could squeak by the numbers realistically, which I doubt. Trying to "go light" with an 8 year old on any length trip is a pipe dream - especially when you have all the room in the trailer.
I agree with Danny, he said it better than I could. I would not be comfortable towing that combination.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #142
Hideout77

Well thank you for the thoughts. I think I’m going to be ok pulling the TT as long as I’m mindful of my speed and other things. Just ran it on a 120 mile round trip to Casa Grand and back in 40mph gust. Got a little push from the wind but no sway issues. Super happy I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors though. Idiot people break checking.... time to install the dash cam next! I am liking the keystone TT. They seem decently made.

Nissan Armada 2010 platinum.
Hideout77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #143
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout77 View Post
Well thank you for the thoughts. I think I’m going to be ok pulling the TT as long as I’m mindful of my speed and other things. Just ran it on a 120 mile round trip to Casa Grand and back in 40mph gust. Got a little push from the wind but no sway issues. Super happy I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors though. Idiot people break checking.... time to install the dash cam next! I am liking the keystone TT. They seem decently made.

And just a parting thought for you;

I used to visit all my employees around "my realm" and would at times ask to attend the safety meetings of my employees. My folks drove all kinds of vehicles, pulling all kinds of things from sedans to vans to large trucks/trailers.

At those meetings you have folks of all kinds; young guys, older guys, cautious folks, the "I don't care folks" etc. I tried to impress the following on them simply because I was concerned about their safety knowing what they had to do every day;

You can ignore the safety limits all you want; and you know, most times you get by just fine....hey, no problem, all those naysayers don't know squat. That will generally be the rule...BUT, when "stuff" happens, here's the deal:

I've been in 4 situations in my life where I was not supposed to live; by ignorance, arrogance, "being invincible", or just not caring. EVERY single time there was no "reset" button, no "whoa, I'm going to pull it down" or "I'll redirect" or "I'll just.....". None of that. It happens; right here; right now. How do you know everything is OK? You woke up, in an ambulance, lying there by yourself, someone pulling a door open for you.... Before I "got sense" in 2 of those occasions there were dead people around me. Thankfully not my family - they were never involved in some of those situations.

I told folks repeatedly that you can always "stretch" the limits; you can always "ignore" the rules, but someday it will catch you - and you can't "stop" it when it does. It's on YOU.

I survived the situations and by 35 became very aware of what I was doing - generally. The situations above happened to me alone....because that was the way it was; in retrospect I probably put my family in danger during those times as well but was spared.

When I "grew up", became more "responsible" (knowledgeable)I put the welfare of the family above my "I need/want to have".

IMO pushing a vehicle and trailer combo to the limits or over is simply a callous disregard for the safety of yourself, your family and the rest of the folks that share the road with you - and with an 8 year old.

Of course this is JMO and YMMV. I only wish the best for you and your welfare; including your family.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #144
Kanadakid

This is a good explanation 1
Kanadakid is offline   Reply With Quote