Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
bikegeek

Question Rear observation cam with rear awning

Hey everyone!
New poster here and new 2018 Impact 341 owner.

I was told by the dealer that the furrion observation camera can't be installed on my Impact due to the rear awning being in the way.

I'm wondering if any of you toy hauler owners have installed a rear observation camera up high underneath the awning and which one might fit? Did you go wired or wireless?

Thanks for your opinions!
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Racebug

I have one installed on the back of mine under the awning. wireless and the antenna is layed down flat. Kind of a PITA to use the rear awning. You have to hold the awning while retracting the last few inches or it will break the antenna off.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
xrated

I just looked at some pics of the 341 and it looks to me like there would be plenty of room above the awning for a camera....maybe at least 6-7 inches.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
bikegeek

X, that's what I was thinking. Hoping somebody else may have gone point on this with a suggestion as to which system may fit well.

RB, thanks for that heads up, gotta make sure to install as low as possible to avoid f#@%ery. Did you install? I'm thinking the lights up there from which to pull power may be on a switch and not running lights which may be another boggle to deal with.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Racebug

I just installed mine where the prep kit was. I really don't use rear awning all that much. I bet I have extended it 30 times and only broke antenna once.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
AbHDToyHauler

I have a diff model without awning over rear door but I installed my own backup /rear observation camera right below the center light and it works great. Even with an awning you should be able to see behind as long as awning is closed. I stayed close to that center clearance light so i could get power for camera from it. That was when I tried wireless which didn't really work well for me. in end i had to run wiring from front of trailer to back under the trailer in protective tubing then up to camera. On front of trailer I have a quick connect jack and similar in my trucks box. A flexible cable connects truck to camera (power comes down these wires too). I also then had to route wiring into cab of my truck but in end was worth it as picture and view is amazing. Hope that helps somewhat.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
bikegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
I have a diff model without awning over rear door but I installed my own backup /rear observation camera right below the center light and it works great. Even with an awning you should be able to see behind as long as awning is closed. I stayed close to that center clearance light so i could get power for camera from it. That was when I tried wireless which didn't really work well for me. in end i had to run wiring from front of trailer to back under the trailer in protective tubing then up to camera. On front of trailer I have a quick connect jack and similar in my trucks box. A flexible cable connects truck to camera (power comes down these wires too). I also then had to route wiring into cab of my truck but in end was worth it as picture and view is amazing. Hope that helps somewhat.
AbhD,
I have several questions, so thank you in advance for your response!

What brand camera did you go with? You say the power AND video feed come from the 1 cable run from the truck? That cable came with the camera and was long enough for a 38 footer?

How did you run it up to the mounting position from the underside? Through the walls of the garage door framing by drilling a hole from underneath?

How did you run the cable from the pin box to the underside?

Where is your entry point into cab of truck?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
AbHDToyHauler

Good Morning; I purchased both the wireless and wired version from Costco (Canada). Part number is RVS-776718 (413357) Made by Rear View Systems. Type that into google and you will find them.
It came with all the cables to make it work but i had to buy sealant and slit sided protective conduit to put cable in.
Lets start with the truck. Mine is a new Gmc. I ran the provided cable from the inside of my box down under truck (yes I had to drill some holes) to the front cab area. It came with small Flip up door (weather seal) so then I screwed that down right under where my Fifth wheel power cable plugs into the factory plug in.
I fished my cable through inside frame of truck to almost front and fished it up through rubber grommet in floor where E brake setup comes through. I then sealed around cable. I routed cable to my console and hid connector box (it can handle up to three cameras ) under floor of console with one cable coming up to hook my monitor to when in use. Took me about an hour to do all that. I wired Tied all the cables neatly under truck and any exposed cables I added that slitted plastic wire conduit to for extra protection.
Next from where the overhang is and my propane bottles are I drilled another hole and installed the flip open jack and routed cable down and under trailer. Along frame following existing wiring to the back of trailer (wire tied to existing cables and also inside slit conduit) . Because I was wanting a water tight job, I drilled straight through into garage (Up high behind where camera would be mounted) and fished wires through and over to corner (used little tie down tabs with sticky back) then down along inside between wall and door frame wire tying as I went . I drilled down through floor in corner just big enough to fit cable down and under then once it was all finished I filled the hole sealer. Cannot even see wires unless you know they are there. Of course I sealed behind camera and aroudn the camera frame and mounting screws too.
Between trailer and truck I used the supplied curly cord connector which makes it all plug and play. I added a small clevis on my pin box to allow the cable to swing smoothly above my box rail during travel. Hope I explained that good enough.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
infantryofficer81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
Hey everyone!
New poster here and new 2018 Impact 341 owner.

I was told by the dealer that the furrion observation camera can't be installed on my Impact due to the rear awning being in the way.

I'm wondering if any of you toy hauler owners have installed a rear observation camera up high underneath the awning and which one might fit? Did you go wired or wireless?

Thanks for your opinions!
My Fuzion 420 came with the camera installed under the rear awning, and I had mine moved to the top of the unit. Before moving it, the signal strength was terrible. It was a pain in the butt because my wife would have to operate the awning while I pulled the antenna down to keep the awning from ripping it off. I don't understand why Keystone would install it like that in the first place!

Dennis & Jackie
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW, 6.7L CTD
2016 Fuzion 420 Chrome Toy Hauler
2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail SE
2020 Spyder RT Limited (Deep Marsala Red)
infantryofficer81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning