Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon100 View Post
Our Passport has always had the stinkys too. We finally figured out it was the grey tank. Now we put a little bit of dish soap down each drain and then keep the drain plug closed unless using of course. We do all of them including the tub and bathroom sink. We've had the problem talked about earlier with the vents open and someone uses the toilet and wow that is really a lesson learned quickly.. Good luck and don't give up you'll find the culprit. Dan
Same happened to us, I must have spent 2 months an $100 learning that lesson!
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #22
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookedread View Post
I had a neighbor complain to me that his toilet really stunk. I was new to living in a trailer full time and so was he so I couldn't really help him. After reading the forums, I realized that he was leaving the black water open all of the time so the solids fell out of the fluids and were retained on the bottom of the tank. After flushing a few times the smell went away, or at least was reduced to expected levels. This is pretty basic but thought I would add to the forum for any newbies.

We recently bought a 2013 Montana after owning a 2006 Outback for 5 years. And that tank was rank. With the Outback we'd flush the toilet and there was little to no smell. We never used any chemicals in the Outback. The Montana though was just nasty. I had an awful time getting the tank to drain the first couple of times. I put a clear fitting in so I could see what's happening. The second time it didn't drain at all after maybe 30 seconds so I closed it and closed the grey tank valve. I had visions of having to replace the black valve with a full tank.

I waited a couple days to get the grey tank fairly full and then opened the black valve and then the grey. I was trying to backflush the black tank a little to get the blockage moving. And it worked.

The Montana has a black tank back wash system. So after the tank was drained I put 10 gallons of water in it, valve closed and let it sit for 20 minutes. When I opened it, it was like what dumping a black tank is usually like as far as the solids that came out of it.

So I did it again with 15 gallons this time and another 20 minute wait. Dumped it and it still had a lot of solids and toilet paper. Then I put 20 gallons in and waited the 20 minutes and this time less solids, but still a pretty brown water. Did it one more time with 20 gallons and the water looked more like what you see coming out of the grey tank.

After all that I dumped the "geo mix" in the black tank and now no smell at all unless you leave the fan on when flushing. Huge improvement. Only thing I can think of is the previous owner must not have let enough water into the black tank or perhaps left the tank valve open when they were set up.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #23
Badlands Dog

Our Cougar 5er had the issues. We'd use the toilet and it would stink the downstairs. When we moved it after camping, the basement and downstairs stank real bad. I was winterizing it and found a joint in the vent pipe came apart, and was never installed properly-thus the reason for the failure. I cut the two ends so I could fit a flexible rubber collar for repairs such as this, available from about any hardware store. Problem fixed!
Badlands Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #24
Ccrew

I throw this out there because short of one post I haven't seen a simple issue listed.

Our Bullet had the issue, brand new unit. Seems that the toilet seal at the flapper had been installed upside down. As a result water couldn't stand in the bowl and got a bad sewer smell going down the road. Flipped the seal, toilet now holds water, we always make sure that there's an inch or in it, problem solved. Sometimes the easiest fixes are the least obvious.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #25
judia

Had the same problem in my new 243BHS, after one day it would start to smell. We have owned a TT before and never a problem. We don't poop in our TT and use Happy Camper. Back to dealer, they ran something down the vent to be sure it wasn't blocked, filled the black tank to check for leaks. Suggested a Cyclone vent if the problem persisted. It persisted and I brought it back for the vent. In the meantime, found out from my previous Forest River Owners forum that Dometic had problems with some #300 toilets, something faulty inside that allowed fumes to escape and that they would replace under warranty. Brought that info to my dealer and they contacted Dometic with my serial number. Toilet was replaced under warranty and NO MORE PROBLEMS!
judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #26
Gizmo2

I have a new Passport 2520 and I had to replace the plastic Dometic toilet. Apparently there has been a return of an old problem with these toilets. It looks like a seal leaks allowing effluent to leak into the inside of the toilet which is vented to the inside of the trailer. On mine Dometic acknowledged the problem and sent me a new one. Long term I worry about the plastic construction holding its shape with many temperature cycles.
Gizmo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by judia View Post
We don't poop in our TT and use Happy Camper.
Other than we couldn't get up from sleeping on the ground anymore, the bathroom facilities in a rv are one of the major reasons for getting our 1st rv, NO MORE nasty campground bathrooms. Since going fulltime we got a washer/dryer in the rv so NO MORE rv laundries either.
In our travels we've met several folks that don't use the shower or go #2 in the toilet, only #1 at night, it totally baffles me as to why not!!
They still wash dishes, brush their teeth, wash their hands all of which goes into tanks & from my experiences the kitchen grey tank most times smells as gross, if not worse, than the black.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote