Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Supertommy68

Power Inverter Installation

Hello fellow RV owners! I have a 2018 Raptor 398TS, and have acquired an AIMS POWER 4000w inverter/charger w/ the 120/240 option on it and auto transfer switch. I don't have any issues using the genset but some of the dry camping sites I want to go to frown on constant use. A couple of questions-
1)From the inverter manual, it appears that I can make the shore power go to the inverter first, then use the inverter outputs to power the main electrical system. Is that correct?
2) What happens to the converter, anything?
3) What happens to the ONAN 5500 Genset wiring and function?
4) does any of this affect the in-command or the "brain"(i think that is on 12v).

On the DC side my plan is to add a third battery, 1/0 cable to a kill switch, then a 300a inline fuse, then the inverter. I got the optional battery temperature sensor and the remote control panel. I plan to use the auto generator start function but not sure how to integrate the ONAN into that equation.
On the AC side, I planned to take the wiring out of the main panel, and run it to a 50a breaker in a box (going to need a j-box anyway so might as well use a breaker). I planned to wire out of the breaker to the inverter inputs, then go from the inverter outputs into the main panel.
Does this make sense or nonsense? Is there a similar wiring diagram someone could post?

Thank You!!
Supertommy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
SC Dreamer

My best opinion is to read/study then reread/study some more. When you think you fully understand the directions, come up with a plan, then read/study some more and try to poke holes in your plan before installing any of it. I am not familiar with the directions from aims. On my inverter, it is 120v only. 4000w does not make 50amps, maybe 33, that is first. So think long and hard about the install and what you change from factory. Second for me is when shore power is connected, the amount of pass through current directly limits battery charge amps available! Feel free to reread that. If your are passing thru 30 amps because of a/c running and something else, you may only be able to charge the batteries with what is left from the rating of the inverter. I chose to disconnect ac power to my converter and use the charger function of my inverter, you have a choice I suppose. My generator is same as always. Onan makes an adapter for auto start I believe, check with them. I am not aware of your experience with electricity. I would advise EXTREME CAUTION first and foremost
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power