Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
halfprice

Battery Help/Questions

Need some help in deciding what to do. I need to replace the battery on the 5th.

Currently I have 1- 12 volt (dead). Should I just replace it with another 12 volt deep cycle or add one to have 2-12s in parallel or get 2- 6 volt golf cart.

My local Costco has deep cycle 12 volt size 27s for $70 and golf cart 6 volts for $80.

I have a generator and will most likely do alot of full hook ups. Will be doing some dry camping as well.

I have done some searching and I know lots of you say the 6 volt is best. I'm just not sure if they are needed since I have and will use the gen when I can.

Can I assume my charger/invertor can handle either set up.

Thanks

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Bob Landry

6V batteries do offer more capacity. The drawback, IMO, is that they have to be connected in series to get 12V. That is not an issue as long as neither of the two batteries fail. If you do have a failure and have to remove one, you are left without the use of your 12V systems until that battery can be replaced. If you use a bank of 4 batteries, that possibility goes away, but if you have a generator that you can run to recharge, the expense of 4 golf cart batteries becomes a major factor and not necessary, again, IMO.
If you are running 2 12V batteries and you lose one, you can still limp along under reduced capacity and have lights and can run the lights, heater and fridge. It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take. I would really hate for a long, well planed vacation to be disrupted because a battery failed.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Bob makes a good point in his post. If the majority of your camping is going to be using full or partial hookups, then having 6v batteries may not be necessary. In addition, you do have a generator which you can use when dry camping to charge your batteries when needed. In your case, I would opt for having 2 12v connected in parallel. You will still get good service from them when you are dry camping if you keep them charged up.
Your converter/charger will do just fine with 2-12v.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
jje1960

Batteries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Need some help in deciding what to do. I need to replace the battery on the 5th.

Currently I have 1- 12 volt (dead). Should I just replace it with another 12 volt deep cycle or add one to have 2-12s in parallel or get 2- 6 volt golf cart.

My local Costco has deep cycle 12 volt size 27s for $70 and golf cart 6 volts for $80.

I have a generator and will most likely do alot of full hook ups. Will be doing some dry camping as well.

I have done some searching and I know lots of you say the 6 volt is best. I'm just not sure if they are needed since I have and will use the gen when I can.

Can I assume my charger/invertor can handle either set up.

Thanks

Jerry
This is a great topic that I can relate to. No doubt about it, extended dry camping without a genset, multiple 6V is the way to go, however if it's like us, where our dry camping uses mostly generator power, we just want enough to run the 32" TV while at a Walmart or what-ever... I'm planning on just dropping in a second 12V like we did on a previous TT. For extended dry with solar or periodic charging, the 6V's seem like the way to go. Just one humble opinion though...
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
halfprice

Thanks for the replies guys. Using 2-12s was my first thought but Costco's price for the 6 volts made me second guess myself. So I plan on looking into Costco's deep cycles and other brands to see whats best in price and quality.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
f6bits

You and I are in a similar boat. I thought about dual batteries, but I have a generator. With the option of running the generator several times a day, I don’t see any benefit in running dual batteries. But if I were to run dual batteries, I’d go with dual high quality 6v batteries because they tend to provide more amp hours.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
mikell

My last unit I put 2 new 6 volters in the racks and 4 more in the front hatch connected with pre made #2 cables I think they were . never ran out of juice even on a 4 day weekend. Had an 60 watt panel on the roof and it probably was overkill but our camping friends all upgraded after a trip or 2 to the boonies and they ran out of power
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Oscar

When we got the TT I took the battery off the tongue and ran a cable to the left aft compartment. There I installed two vented boxes with two group 27 deep cycles in it, 12V in parallel, with a main disconnect switch. I ran cables into the water heater compartment where I installed a 12V main fuse and a shunt. The marine world has taught me that you want a main fuse as close to the battery as possible. The main disconnect allows me to shut off the batteries completely so they don't leak down. The hard wired smoke, CO2 alarms and various other leaks WILL drain your batteries. Now they are just as full as I left them after three months. Also, it allows me to take power off the system in a hurry if there ever is a problem which is not being handled by the fuses.

From there it goes to back to the tongue and the old hookup, and also into the compartment directly below the stereo (where the shore power cable lives) where I added a 2000W inverter, an appropriately rated AC selector switch (shore/inverter), an AC ammeter, and a battery condition monitor. (Hence the shunt). The switch, meter, monitor and inverter control switch are all built into the side panel of the cabinet.

I do a small amount of dry camping and this is enough 12V to run the heater through the night if necessary, and keep the veritable plethora of chargers going, as well as mama's night lights in all the 110V outlets. It will not run Air.

The condition monitor allows me to keep a tight eye on the batteries, and run them no lower than 50%, this extends their life measurably. The AC ammeter lets me monitor the load, and helps me decide how much AC power I need.

Two EU2000's tied together and either running one alone or both, depending on load, and a five gallon tank to the modified fuel caps on the EU's complete's the power supply. All in all it's quite functional, fuel efficient and reasonably quiet.

It works well.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
halfprice

Well I bought the two 12volts 27s from Costco Friday. When to the local auto parts store and bought new cables. I installed them today.

I tried to find a box to keep both of them in together but nothing worked. I got lucky today and found a local shop that had one vented box for a 27. Picked it up this morning and started the install.

I discovered that my old box are for 24s not 27s. They fit in the bottom but not the top. It will go on but not close. I'll get another box when the shop gets more in.

I also installed the "Red Key" shut off switch. I picked up an octogan electrial box and cover from Hope Depot. Cut out the center so the I could mount the switch. Screwed it to the back panel next to the batteries. Works great.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas