Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
CampJKL

Cargo Locks

Anyone know the length of the cam lock for our cargo doors? 1-1/8, 1-3/8, or 1-1/2? Yes I know I could measure it... But my trailer is not near and just wondered if someone knew off the top of their head.
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
f6bits

Mine are 1⅛” I discovered this after I did a poor job of measuring the first time I ordered the locks. I got mine (keys alike) from Mr. Lock (mrlock.com) for about $5.25 each plus shipping.

But this is no guarantee that mine are the same size as the ones on a Cougar.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
CampJKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Mine are 1⅛” I discovered this after I did a poor job of measuring the first time I ordered the locks. I got mine (keys alike) from Mr. Lock (mrlock.com) for about $5.25 each plus shipping.

But this is no guarantee that mine are the same size as the ones on a Cougar.
Thanks... I too don't want to make that same mistake. I might buy one combi cam in 1-1/8 and try it first. If I had to guess, all Keystone are the same... Cost savings!
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
f6bits

Sounds like a good plan. With Mr. Lock, in the special notes, I requested more Keyed Alike locks and noted the number stamped on the key so my additional locks matched.

I forgot to mention that I also changed my outside shower compartment lock, which was either 7/16 or ⅝. I forgot to measure it, but one of those was the right size and I wanted all keys to be the same. It’s been a while, so I forget which size the shower lock was. Yep, my poor preparation did cost me a bit extra.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Str8shooter

Not all Keystones are alike. . .

I changed out the cargo door locks last July in our 2011 Keystone Raptor and found them locally at a RV parts store. All locks are keyed the same.

Each of the side cargo doors used a 7/8 inch lock while the two front door under the bedroom (one is the generator compartment) required 1 1/8 inch locks.

On a couple larger or longer doors that have a thumb lock on the other end, I replaced those with a locks also. On these doors once you release the thumb lock its too easy to get your figures behind the door and simple force the door open. Replacing the thumb lock provides a bit more security. We all know if someone really wants in they will get in. It just makes it a little more difficault.

One last note about the tubular cam locks. Unlike your regular key (which was very likely the CH751 key!) where you insert the key and turn it 90degrees to unlock and remove the key, the cam lock key cannot be removed until you turn the key back to the original "locked" position. So, to leave one or more cargo doors open at a time, you put the lock in the "locked" position in order to remove the key. Of course, you will end up with lots of keys and you could just put a separate key in each lock you open and leave them in the locks until your ready to close up everything. I just use one key and put the others away until I need one.

I hope this helps.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote