Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Stag126

fifth wheel king pin height keystone avalanche 365mb

what should i set my truck fifth wheel up to? i have not gotten my fifth wheel yet but i have it ordered ,2018 keystone avalanche 365mb .... is there a standard height? all i have seen is 47inches but not sure if that is correct or not !
Stag126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

For me, every truck/trailer combination is a bit different. It depends on how much your truck settles onto its suspension which is based on the trailer's pin weight and how you load it as much as how the factory built it. So, there's no "set height" that will work for all combinations. Typically, once you have the trailer home, loaded like you want it, truck tires inflated properly and are parked on a level, flat location, get back away from the rig and look at how level it sits. You want the nose of the fifth wheel about 6" (some say 5-8") above the sides of the truck bed. That will give you sufficient clearance in most maneuvers, but depending on the terrain, you can still "kiss the bed" on uneven roads or backing into uphill/downhill campsites.

I wouldn't do much "adjusting" before getting the fifth wheel, chances are you're going to be "fine-tuning" the hitch height/pinbox position after you get it home.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
rhagfo

Well when we went 250 miles to get our current 5er four years ago I took along the necessary sockets, wrenches, and torque wrench so I could adjust the hitch height if necessary.
It was slightly nose high and about 6” clearance so went as it was no issues.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, keystone