Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
xrated

Aftermarket A/C ceiling mounted outlet Covers...

OK, so the Impact 303 has enough A/C outlets throughout the trailer, but since it is just Peggy and I, and no one sleeps in the beds in the garage area, I would like to close those vents off. So, in your experience, what is the best aftermarket replacement vent cover for being able to remove the factory vent and replace with one that I can close off in the garage area?

Keystone OEM is Black, adjustable for air flow direction, but not able to close off the air flow. The opening for the vent cover is approx. 5" and I would prefer a black replacement, but white ones wouldn't be a deal breaker as the bed/couch is almost in the up position and the ceiling is of course...white.

So what have y'all found and would recommend?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
xrated

Does anyone have some info on this subject?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
Pull Toy

If you want to shut them down permanently, you can always just take them down, and use duct tape on the back side. Black tape would be invisible when reinstalled.

This is what I did with my previous Toy Hauler. I wanted more cold air up front, and couldn't see cooling the Goldwing. (It had its own A/C) LOL

If you want to have an adjustable on/off register, check Campers World, or your local R/V store. They are available.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 AM   #4
slow

These worked on our 23RB as a direct replacement of the non-ducted vent covers. The one you want may be the first listed on this page: http://jrproducts.net/index.php/cata.../Heat%20Vents/
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Does anyone have some info on this subject?
I replaced all of my factory vent bezels with flow adjusting bezels that I got from Amazon, in the bedroom and main living area. I've posted these several times on this site, yet for some reason every time I do there's at least one critic (just don't get it).

In my unit, the front AC is in the bedroom and the rear AC is in the middle living quarters. This leaves the garage with limited air-flow out of a single port for that entire space. For a short while I had been considering a 3rd AC upgrade, but then I started researching and digging into the existing AC and duct system. From my observations there are two parallel air-flow ducts that run front to back. They are a bit offset so that one puts a front port all the way up in the bedroom and the other puts a rear port back in the garage. Both ducts straddle the two AC systems which supply flow to each duct per side. The problem I was experiencing is that without flow limits, the vents closest to the AC would dump all air and by the time it got to the rear garage, such little air-flow was left that the space was always hot.

So I bought a handful of these (below) on Amazon. They allow you to limit the flow per port in addition to direct the air. I ended up adjusting way down the flow in the bathroom and main living areas. This results in the 2 far ends of the ducts (bedroom and garage) blowing the most air. Been over a year now and this has been fantastic. Garage stays mostly cool and temp throughout the coach is pretty well matched. Occasionally I'll tweak the flow here and there, but mostly you set and forget it.

There are some installation caveats, first these bezels are white and the factory ones are dark (brown or black). IMHO the white actually looks better against the lighter roof color. Second these bezels are smaller than the factory units. You will have to carefully center and "clock" the bezel in order to cover the original screw holes.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
xcntrk

Here's the ones Slow posted, also available on Amazon. These too look promising:

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
GovGeek

I used these in my upgrade which is documented in my blog. http://amzn.to/2kH94ce

Sent from my pocket computer
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
JAbraham03

Does anyone know if there are vent covers that you can get battery operated fans in them for force the air out. The center bunk house room in our 5th wheel has only one vent and is always hot due to air not being forced down.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I have never seen a battery operated vent boost fan, but have seen several different types that boost airflow in the ducting. They are all 110 VAC and would require access to the inside of the roof (either from below or above) to wire and install the boost fan.

Something you might consider is removing the vent grill (it just snaps off) and determining which direction the air flows past the vent. Install a "scoop shaped air dam" on the far side of the vent grill (cover only a part of the duct interior or you will block airflow further down the duct line) and see if that improves the ability of the vent opening to "catch more cool air". Otherwise, you may want to leave the bunkroom door open and use a fan to push cool air from the main cabin into the bunk room.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAbraham03 View Post
Does anyone know if there are vent covers that you can get battery operated fans in them for force the air out. The center bunk house room in our 5th wheel has only one vent and is always hot due to air not being forced down.
I've never seen a battery operated fan that'll fit so I made one that worked great. The only issue that I had was that it really went through the batteries.
As it worked so perfectly I decided to install a dual flow 12 volt fan and that was the end of the batteries.

Tags
cover