Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
jram116

Lights buzzing

In the last few days I have noticed that the lights in the trailer are buzzing when not on. When I turn them on it goes away. The lights in the rear bedroom are slow to come on. Few days ago it would take about 10 seconds, now it takes several minutes for them to come on. Anyone have any suggestions before I take it into the dealer for repairs. We have had the F/W for just over a year using it in Michigan. Now traveling in Florida for the last week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Toys
2010 Montana 3750FL
2004 Sunny Brook TT
jram116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

My guess is that there may be a short somewhere in the light electrical circuit. I am assuming that the lights in question are incandescent and not controlled by a rheostat or dimmer in which case there may be a problem with the dimmer itself. I would suspect a short and; if this is the case, it should be fixed asap.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

jraM116 , Are the lights in question halogen or is this happening with the incandescent lights also. I have heard that some of the higher end trailers are having this problem with halogen bulbs and has been resolved by replacing the bulbs. I think there is some type of ballast built into the bulb that is failing. I will search and see if I can find where I saw this. It is possible at my age that I may never remember. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
jram116

It is the regular style camper lights, I guess incadescent. They plug into the fixture socket. I spoke to a repair guy at a local trailer place and he said that it is probably the power converter for the lights. I have an appt. in 10 days. I will drop it off while I fly back to Mich. for the holidays and pick it up after the new year. Heading west for the winter, so I hope it will be ready. I will update when they fix it. Thanks everyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Toys
2010 Montana 3750FL
2004 Sunny Brook TT
jram116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
f6bits

Power converter? Is this when you’re running on battery, or shore power? Since they’re 12V, if you’re running from the battery, I thought the converter was out of the loop.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Ron

Possible battery connection, bad battery or water level in batteries? lights may be running off converter only, converter trying to charge batteries but cannot and is trying to regulate itself to run only 12 volt lights? Just a thought..........Happy Campin..............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm still puzzled by how a 921 bulb in a DC socket in a light fixture mounted on the ceiling can "buzz" even if the converter is malfunctioning. I could understand the converter buzzing, maybe even neon or halogen lights buzzing but a 921 incandescent bulb? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how that could happen.

The OP's comments about the buzzing stops when the lights come on and that it takes seconds at first and now minutes for the light to illuminate? Grounds are about all that could cause that, but even if it were corrosion on the terminals, buzzing? It's a DC circuit...

Anybody??? I just can't wrap my hands around this one. ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm still puzzled by how a 921 bulb in a DC socket in a light fixture mounted on the ceiling can "buzz" even if the converter is malfunctioning. I could understand the converter buzzing, maybe even neon or halogen lights buzzing but a 921 incandescent bulb? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how that could happen.

The OP's comments about the buzzing stops when the lights come on and that it takes seconds at first and now minutes for the light to illuminate? Grounds are about all that could cause that, but even if it were corrosion on the terminals, buzzing? It's a DC circuit...

John, That is why I suspected a halogen or other ballasted bulb. I have never heard an incandescent bulb hum either. Some LEDs will hum but usually on ac only. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I'm with you and festus2 on this one. The only thing I can guess is that the buzzing is coming from elsewhere within the coach but coincides with the light coming on. This is one of those mysteries that is best handled on site and truly near impossible to trouble-shoot from a distance.

And I still can't figure out how a simple 12vdc lighting circuit can have a lag in illumination from the time the switch is thrown, especially in on of the RV style fixtures where the switch is part of the fixture.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
...And I still can't figure out how a simple 12vdc lighting circuit can have a lag in illumination from the time the switch is thrown, especially in on of the RV style fixtures where the switch is part of the fixture.
My only guess on delayed function is that possibly there is moisture and corrosion in some of the ceiling DC connections. That would explain how once a switch is turned on, the DC starts to flow, when it hits the corroded connection, it is delayed until it can heat up and dry out the connection, then once it's dry, the current can flow on past that point to the bulb. If that is the situation, then I'd think if you heard anything at all, you would hear a popping or arcing noise, not a buzzing. And, if this is the situation, it's very dangerous and should be corrected ASAP and could be a fire hazard.

The only buzzing I could concieve is in a ballast bulb or from the converter transformer, not in a DC light fixture with 921 bulbs. I agree, this one needs hands on troubleshooting.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote