Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
tgoodwin321

Does this look right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9689.2015-08-29_165637.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	9325

Name:	IMG_9680.2015-08-29_165438.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	9322

Name:	IMG_9692.2015-08-29_170136.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	9326

Ok so, our shakedown trip last weekend was a huge success in our 238MLWE (and still love it after story to follow). However, our second trip this weekend I felt like I had a lead role in one of the Final Destination movies. We arrived Friday evening at Seaquest State Park in WA and had a wonderful time that night with good weather. Nice rain on the roof overnight had us all sleeping like babies. Woke up to clearing skies and made Eggs Benedict and mimosas for our 6th anniversary breakfast!

Well about 30 or 45 minutes after we finished up breakfast the winds started to blow the forest canopy. Small branches, pine cones and needles everywhere. Then....the big winds came and along with it we received a 20' x 2.5" javelin straight through the roof. I was literally lining up the TV antenna to start winding it down when it hit and still haven't figured out how it didn't get my wrist or fingers. At that moment it was all about getting the branch out and getting out of there. While packing up, another large branch came down on the front of the trailer only scraping it a little before cracking in two on the tongue of the trailer. Another 15 minutes, all done packing up and when I was leaning over to attach the WD bar I caught another large branch across my mid back. Knocked the wind out of me and bruised a rib but that just made me work harder to get out of there faster. Thank goodness it wasn't of the "javelin" type the trailer got. So, kids strapped in the truck and wife spotting me for branches, I finished up and we hit the road. Nerves already shattered, we endured pretty bad wind gusts on the highway. The truck handled it well and I just wanted to get us home so decided to calm down, go slow and got us home safe.

We truly hope everyone at the campground came out safe yesterday. I know a couple packed up after seeing what happened to us. We heard a loud crash followed by a car alarm somewhere in else in the park as well as many other larger limbs coming down around us. We reported everything to the ranger on the way out and due to the frequency of limbs coming off the tree we were under he said they would take look as they monitor for problem areas to try to prevent these as best they can. There were a lot of dead limbs on these couple of tress at our site but the two that hit the trailer and my back were both green. Don't see how anyone could have foreseen an issue with this site (#15).

Suppose I could have posted this in repairs and maintenance but thats a different story right. Never again will we camp in the forest when high winds are in the forecast. Even though Seaquest was on the far edge of the warning zone we should have just cancelled. Live and learn.

Oh, a kudos to the folks at Curtis Trailers of Portland, OR service department. My wife called when we reached cell service and the gentlemen took the time to explain the entire repair process to her and answer all her questions thoroughly. They will even work with the claims team at our insurance company so we don't have to. This will be a long process but at least we know what to expect. For now, roof patch with Dicor in place today after a shoddy duct tape patch yesterday to get through the night. Only about an ounce of water dripped trough so think we're good but Curtis/Insurance will replace the entire roof (eventually).

Off to the coast for 11 days next weekend! Hell with a hole.

-TG
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
notanlines

I wasn't even there and your story scared me! I believe you did exactly what I would have done, with the possible exception of maybe getting to a clearing to attach the remainder of the hitch. After the last branch hit you I'm surprised you didn't tuck tail and run like the dickens. Kudos to you for heading right back out again. The patch in the roof will do just fine until the new roof.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
tom37

Sorry your Rv was damaged, but so thankful no one was hurt.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Seems like an expensive way to add a pine air freshener to the trailer, but I am very glad that your family made it home safely and I hope this experience does not not keep any of your family members from enjoying future trips. Travel safely, Hank (I think I would have had to change my under-roos )
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
tgoodwin321

Haa! Hank, maybe the 15 month old's diarrhea and the 5 yr old's vomit had me a little out on a limb this time. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was extremely frightening, in fact our oldest was petrified. I too worry that this experience might affect him down the road. After today I think he's going to be ok though since he's already been talking about our next adventure in a positive way.
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote