Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
Comptech

CaroWinds

Hi my wife and I are heading to CaroWinds amusement part this spring and wondered if any one has stayed at their camp ground? We are going to the park for a day, maybe two if it seems like we need to. Then spend the day doing something in or around the area... Not sure what yet...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
summerhummer

Anything? Inquiring minds wanna know.....
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
jtyphoid

We've been there a few times, but didn't spend any time in the campground except to sleep. The grounds and roads were perfectly fine, as I recall. Beyond that, I don't remember much.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
byrdr1

These are the Latest reviews. NONE from 2013 as that year they closed and remodeled the campground.
Hope this helps you.
randy

Oct 2014 - $43.00
This is a very nice park but, if noise bothers you, I wouldn't recommend it since it's directly in the flight path of planes taking off and landing at the nearby airport. We only spent one night while traveling through and really didn't notice the noise with the windows closed and the furnace running. The roads were paved and we had no problem getting our 40' trailer around the camp. The pull thru sites were large, paved, and level and mostly shaded. The person taking reservations was located somewhere out of the area and was not able to give me directions and we could not reach anyone at the front office after many phone calls. We finally had to call the reservations number again and she was able to give us GPS coordinates. She assured me there would be someone at the office for us to check in but everything was locked up tight. Since we had already paid by credit card, we just went ahead and took a spot and figured we would take care of business in the morning. Again in the morning, there was no one around so we had to call "security" to finally get the office opened up for us to do the paperwork. There are not a lot of campgrounds along I-77 in this area so we would probably stay here again but we do wish they were a little more efficient.

Aug 2014 - $54.00
This campground is a convenient place for Carowinds park-goers to stay, but rates are high when the amusement park is open. However, the campground is open year round, and off-season rates are more reasonable. Camp Wilderness is also very convenient for visiting Uptown Charlotte--it's only a few minutes to the South Blvd LYNX (i.e., light rail) station--and Pineville, the new Outlet Mall at Steele Creek, Fort Mill and Rock Hill, SC are only a few minutes away. There is easy access from I-77 and I-485. I-85 and the Charlotte airport are also near by. The pull-through sites are paved, reasonably level and big-rig friendly. There are grills and picnic tables at each site. However, there is no cable TV available, and there are only one or two sites that aren't heavily shaded by very large trees, so satellite reception can be a problem. There is no on-site trash pickup, but there are conveniently located dumpsters. The pool is seasonal and the hours are the same as the pools in the amusement park. There are times when the campground is in the flight path for the Charlotte airport. When it is, flight noise can be annoying. The park office closes early (around 6:00 PM), and the lodge bathrooms and showers, and the laundry area are locked up when office closes. However, there aren't that many places in the Charlotte area where you can stay with an RV, so Camp Carowinds is a reasonable alternative. -

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote