Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
cospilot

new to RVing need suggestions for colorado camp grounds

ok first off i live in colorado (pretty much my whole life) this will be out #2 outing this year. we did a trial run a couple weeks ago at mountain dale campground just a few miles out of colorado springs.
we wanted to make a list of things we will need for our future trips.

we would like to go someplace where we can meet other RV'ers and someplace that has a lot of stuff to do without spending a lot of money.
if anyone has suggestions we would sure like to hear them.
i don't want to venture too terribly far from home just yet. as we get more comfortable we may venture farther.

also if you know of someplace you plan to go we would love to meet you there!
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
BOWWOW

Are you wanting plug in sites , full hookups or dry camping like out in the National forests? I can PM you a lot of places.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

We have had good luck at a couple of the state parks (Cherry Creek and Chatfield). Cherry Creek is a better place to me. All are hard to get into on weekends unless you book 6 months out. The only campground that I can say to avoid is the KOA in Estes Park. It is gravel parking lot with about 4' between campers.

There is a newish state park in the Springs, I think it's called Cheyenne something something. I'm hoping to check that out soon.

Good luck!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
dhn

BirchyBoy, is the park Cheyenne Mountain State Park? If so we are booked there later in the year. Looks like a nice park.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7364...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

cospilot, I can't help with any sites in Colorado, but here is a web site that is helpful in picking camp sites. I also use Google Earth\Maps to check camp grounds. Some have pictures and street view of some public campgrounds.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn View Post
BirchyBoy, is the park Cheyenne Mountain State Park? If so we are booked there later in the year. Looks like a nice park.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7364...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

cospilot, I can't help with any sites in Colorado, but here is a web site that is helpful in picking camp sites. I also use Google Earth\Maps to check camp grounds. Some have pictures and street view of some public campgrounds.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Yes, that's the one. I don't make it down that way enough. I'll probably try to get a reservation there soon.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
cospilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
Are you wanting plug in sites , full hookups or dry camping like out in the National forests? I can PM you a lot of places.
i guess i prefer plug in with all the amenities. i can dry camp 45 minutes from home and ride my dirt bike on the trails in woodland park and rainbow falls pretty easily.

what i am looking for is a place that i can meet people, have activities to do or historic places to visit within arms reach. something to keep the kids and family entertained.

i have a visual in my head if such a place exists where people are friendly, come over to introduce themselves, want to be social and carry on a conversation and socialize.
i don't know if this type of thing exists anymore but when i was a kid i recall just about every place we went usually within an hour or so your neighbors came by to introduce themselves. my folks would talk about their homemade camper (looked just like a real brand name) their kids wanted to play with us and pet our dog, that kinda thing..
i know some people camp to get away from it all. but i hope the social aspect of camping still exists.

i suspect places that have a lot of activities may attract more of this type of crowd.
it would just make my day if someone stopped by and said "nice rig!" i guess I'm a friendly social kinda guy...

thanks!
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Barbell

We have stayed at Centenial, which is south of Montrose, River Camp, Wilderness and one other in Meeker and one in downtown Silverton. Montrose is close to the Black Canyon, Ouray and the San Juans. Silverton, of course, has the mountains and the railroad. Meeker has the sheepdog trials the week after Labor Day. Wilderness is the only one we would not go back to because it is just a gravel parking lot with horrible water. They all have full hookups.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote