Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
homer3

Couch Air Mattress

I own a Cougar 327 RES. I know there are several others out there. This past January, daughter and son in law spent the night with us. They were spending the night on couch. Upon getting up in the morning I find my son in law on the floor. First thought was, Oh Oh. Come to find out the mattress went somewhat flat in the middle of the night and was like sleeping on bars. I know I check all the valves. Has anyone else had this problem. Pretty sure this couch/matress is used in a lot of different Cougar RV's

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Sorry, I have not used mine. This is the 1st rv I have had with a air mattress and frankly never intend to use it, no kids or grand kids. Been on them many nights in the past (not in Rvs) and had to add air on them sooner or later to last all night. I even removed it and the pump for the trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Harleyhop

We have one in our Alpine have used it a few times for company. Have never had a problem to this point unfortunately you must have a small leak somewhere.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
therink

I replaced ours under warranty (leaked). 2nd one leaked after sleeping on a few nights (150 lb son). I threw in dumpster and bought a Coleman queen air mattress at Walmart for $25 and it has worked ever since.
The OEM is junk.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Keithcanuck

Air Matress

Check your warranty. They are covered for 10 years. I think the big problem is that people are not closing the beds carefully enough and pinching the rubber. I recommend opening it once in a while to stretch it out and close it carefully.
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Way back when, about the time that I joined this forum we had an air mattress on the sofa in our Springdale. It was notorious for leaking down through the night. Whoever slept on it was sure to be on plywood by morning. I did a forum search, found nothing but complaints about leaking and no hints to fix it. I did a Google search (Google is your friend) and found that the manufacturer had a website and in the Customer Service section of that website was a procedure to clean the sealing surfaces of the drain port. I'm sure that not all Keystone airbeds are the same, but many are. If you look at the inflation pump, you'll find a brand name. Do a Google search for that brand followed by "air mattress". You'll find the website and the instructions on how to clean the sealing surfaces on the drain port. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but it included applying silicone or Vaseline (or something else) to the surfaces of the port.

Once I cleaned the mattress drain port using those instructions, we never had another problem with leaking mattresses. You might find a solution as well. If I run across the link, I'll post it here, but Google does find lots of good information if you use it

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithcanuck View Post
Check your warranty. They are covered for 10 years. I think the big problem is that people are not closing the beds carefully enough and pinching the rubber. I recommend opening it once in a while to stretch it out and close it carefully.
Not in my case. I would not let my son fold it in the couch. We removed it and always folded and kept it the drawer under the couch. The leaks both times developed on the sides (pin holes) where the creases were. The mattresses are junk. The replacement boxit came in didn't have a word of English on it.
We now have a store bought better matress and a battery operated pump that work great. I saw no point replacing under warranty a 3rd time. No biggie.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Pappydude

My Cougar has a flap in the bottom that you can open to let the air out easier, as well as the electric pump one. Make sure the lid for the flap is on tight.
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote