Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
rwmurphy15

Cowboy Campground

Has anyone stayed at the Sportsman's Campground in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. And can you ride Atv's out of the campground to the trails.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
BOWWOW

I ride down in that area a lot but I cannot find any info on that. Are you sure about the name? Is it a private or national forest campground ?

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
rwmurphy15

Bowwow my mistake

I ment Sportsman campground thanks for catching that. I edited my original post
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I believe Sportsman's campground is on the road from Pagosa to Williams Creek Reservoir. It's at the cutoff to go to Piedra Falls. VERY beautiful there. It is located at the Y of two forest roads (I think the main one is still a county road at that point). If they allow ATVs in the campground you can go from there to Piedra Falls (6-7 miles if I recall) which is also very nice. You can take the forest road up to the reservoir (several miles) and then beyond. Other than that there aren't any ATV trails that I know of. There are pullouts for the campgrounds (fee required) but that's about it. If you use the roads you will encounter a LOT of auto traffic coming and going from the streams, lake and campgrounds - and I don't know that you are allowed to travel on them. I spend 2-3 months in Pagosa every year and make several trips out to Williams Creek and the reservoir to fish. I've seen one ATV in the hundreds of trips I've made thru there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
BOWWOW

sourdough is correct. Its mostly road riding, not many trails.
Maybe use the search feature on this forum to look for Mancos.
Its about 50 miles west of Pagosa Springs. There is Transfer campground and many dispersed boon docking sites a few miles past Mancos State Park.
You can ride out of anywhere here, lots of trails.
I will be there around the end of May.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
rwmurphy15

Thanks, Sourdough and Bowwow

The Pagosa Springs area looks very nice and the sportsman campground allows Atv riding out of the camp but I was not sure of the riding in the area roads or trails or both. I guess it would be a good idea to contact the forest service. Bowwow you replied to another post I had back on May about riding in the area and I printed it out. Thanks for that. We are looking at a 6 week or more trip out west from Penna.Hoping to ride Colorado and Utah not sure when still waiting for the wife to retire. Can't wait!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
gearhead

From Sportsmans website:
http://www.sportsmanscampground.com/...eelAndATV.html

It is a beautiful area. I used to hunt there 30 years ago. I would go to Sportsmans to take shower. Once during a 10 day hunt!!
I'm thinking about going back soon.
The Feds really limit ATV use off road. It's a two edged sword. ATV's help you get in the backcountry, but no one wants to be watching or hunting wildlife and group of ATV's come up and scare everything off. I hunt and have ATV. Never took it to Colorado. Took a mule usually....a real 4 legged mule. Named Norman.
You should get in touch with the National Forest service. They used to have an office in Pagosa Springs. Google is your friend.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
gearhead

Here is an alternative to Sportsmans:
http://www.5branches.com/index.html
We stayed there in the motorhome back in the 1980's.
Probably the same situation as Sportsmans with ATV's.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
notanlines

ATV's have become a nuisance in most RV parks the same as golf carts. They go from basic transportation to a form of entertainment in the park, just driving around out of boredom. And old people are just a guilty as the young. Okay, I'm done whining now!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

rwmurphy15 - The only ATV riding I've ever seen in that area was up around the lake (Williams Creek Resv) and that was one. Everyone, and I'm talking hundreds, bring their horses. That area has wilderness at the end of the road past the lake and to the back on the other side of the Piedras. The forest itself has virtually no ATV trails and I'm sure they are prohibited, hence no ATV's come there. It does have many hiking and horse trails.

There are some beautiful campgrounds toward South Fork; over Wolf Creek Pass to the east. There are some off road trails there (two tracks that Jeeps etc use) that an ATV could use but I've just not seen any to speak of. You could trailer the ATV from the campground out to the Park Creek cutoff and head toward Summitville and take some of the mountain roads around there, but again, in my many, many trips up there I've seen very few ATV's. This area would probably be much more conducive to ATV riding than out by Williams Creek - especially since they had the forest fire there year before last and they will be very careful about what goes on due to causing erosion.

I think your best bet is to contact the forest service in Pagosa about the Sportsman lodge location and the one in Dolores which handles the area toward South Fork (if I recall correctly). There is also a website I believe that has maps for 4 wheel drive and ATV trails in the area. You don't want to travel all that way wanting to use your ATV and find that it isn't allowed, and it is one of the most beautiful areas I've been to - you will enjoy it if you do all your homework. If you like to fish be sure and bring fishing gear for trout. There are some gold medal areas around there.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
BOWWOW

Try this forest service site it has a hi speed recreation map.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/m...ed-index.shtml

Also in Colorado you can ride at Taylor Park, Grand Lake, Steamboat, Lake City (The Alpine Loop)
If you make it to southern Wyoming there is Albany (Cinnabar Park) just west of Laramie.
You will need OHV stickers for all 3 states.

Decals removed.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
rwmurphy15

Atv designated campgrounds

Thanks, gearhead,sourdough, wowwow for your input and alternative RV locations. It's always a best bet to go to a campground that caters to the ATV riders both my wife and I are 62 years old and have been riding ATVs for 20 years in a slow and respectful manor As to not disrupt others. We like to ride in wilderness areas and enjoy the beauty of the wilderness just like the people riding horses. We can ride around in a car and enjoy the sites but there is way more to see away from the main roads. Notanlines we to get a little upset when we're in a campground and atvs and golf carts use the campground as there race track. We have been in WV, Tenn, Va. Atv campgrounds where Atving riders are learning to respect all campers in the campsite even at all hours of the Nite. ATVing is a sport that is very fun but there is always the ones that don't care about other that's where the ones that do care police there own. We only want to ride half the time and relax and site see the other half. Thanks everyone for your Input.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
gearhead

You're not going to be riding an ATV in a wilderness area in Colorado very long before you meet a law enforcement officer. Fair warning: they are very serious about it.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You're not going to be riding an ATV in a wilderness area in Colorado very long before you meet a law enforcement officer. Fair warning: they are very serious about it.
I think your definition of "Wilderness" area and their definition of wilderness area are getting misconstrued. I believe you are referring to the Wilderness areas the government has set aside where there is no motor vehicle recreation what so ever.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
I think your definition of "Wilderness" area and their definition of wilderness area are getting misconstrued. I believe you are referring to the Wilderness areas the government has set aside where there is no motor vehicle recreation what so ever.

Agreed. There are places you can ride here and places you can't. I am not familiar with what's allowed down near Paonia, so I can't speak to that.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
rwmurphy15

Atv riding

Corrected, I ride ATV only on approved trails and roads set by the state or forest service and you have to get a permit. I won't ride any other way.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
gearhead

It's been years but where I elk hunted wasn't designated as "wilderness", although it adjoined the "Weminuche Wilderness", and there was no ATV allowed off road. This was just west of Williams Creek Reservoir and east of Weminuche Creek.
I do remember seeing fence/gate posts at trailheads somewhere in Colorado that were just wide enough to ride a horse through, but not a ATV. I'm not saying there are no places to ride a ATV in Colorado, just do your research before you drive there from PA.
I'm thinking.....seems some co-workers that hunted southeast of Pagosa said they took ATV's with them. Maybe down around Hwy17 near the state line. It's been too many years.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

rwmurphy15 - do you want to just ride out of your campground and be able to see the forest/trails or can you transport them somewhere? If you're able to move them there are lots of places to go. Trying to set up camp and just ride out of it might be a little more difficult and actually require dry camping for much forest access.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
rwmurphy15

Sourdough

Well to answer your question sourdough, I have 2 ATVs and a RZR side by side if I bring my RZR its 50 " Wide which a lot of approved trail systems are restricted to 50" or less so either machine will work. My problem is getting 2 Atv's or my RZR in my Toyhauler and still bring a trailer to transport them to riding areas. I have a commercial cap on my truck I could remove to transport each ATV but if I bring my RZR I don't think it will fit in my truck bed. Taking the whole RV to each trail head would be a pain. I'm taking my time traveling thru colorado to get to marysvale, Utah as my final destination and spend a month riding there from campgrounds. I'm going to start contacting various forest services for suggestions and locations. If you look up www.riderplanetusa.com is a good site but you still have to do a lot of homework to put everything together.