Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
js9234

Camping in Texas Winter for a few days. Generator/Electric Heater Questions

I have a 2013 Springdale Keystone 294BHSSR and I'm probably gonna be staying in it during Christmas for about 4 days about 30 miles south of Ft Worth. No hookups but will have a generator. I have read the winter tips but a lot of them seemed more geared to much colder than where I will be staying. Texas weather is unpredictable though. It will be a family of five and 2 large dogs staying in it out in the woods on my families land. What should I expect or be most concerned about? I did read the threads from the search function but it was kinda confusing. I guess I need it dumbed down a little lol After this trip it will be winterized and put back in storage. We will be about 5 miles from a bathroom and shower when needed.
js9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
js9234

And I meant kinda confusing by not knowing which ones I should apply to my situation and weather.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
hankaye

js9234, Howdy;

You need to be a wee bit more specific about what has you confused...
Sort of like saying " I once read a book ... could you help me understand it?"

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
Javi

Well.... It really is difficult to tell exactly what the weather will be but odds are it will be shirtsleeve weather around Christmas. But then again I've seen it get and stay in the 'teens for a week at a time down here.

We camped the week between Christmas and New Years last year at Lake Whitney State Park and it got down to 20 degrees at night and warmed up to about 40 degrees during the day with drizzle the entire week.

The only problem we had was with the water hose freezing cause I failed to remember the heat strip for it when we left home. I just filled the freshwater tank and disconnected the hose at night.

We burned pretty close to two tanks of propane but never had to use the reserve tank I bring during the winter.

One thing I don't leave the grey water drains open when it's gonna freeze.

Only thing I can tell you about central Texas weather is to expect the Blue Norther but bring tee shirts and shorts too..

Heck, I typed all that and then seen you was from Abilene so you should already know what to expect.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Justvisiting2day

winter in TX

If you had a bit more time scoot on down to Falcon State Park , We have pretty good weather then and good hookups with a rec hall with games and coffee ,plus great hike/bike trailes and fishing. The people are OK too
Gee do I sound a bit one sided?
UR
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
js9234

Sorry, not sure how much more info I need to provide. Just wondering if anyone has a similar trailer that has camped around the same time of year and what to expect. Lake Whitney is nice. I'm from not too far from there. I'm from Cleburne. That's where I'm heading for Christmas. Usually stay at my parents house for the holidays but their house got hit by the tornado a few months ago. Figured it would be more fun for the kids to stay in the trailer rather than the cheap hotels we have. Cheaper too. I just read up on Falcon State Park. Sounds pretty cool. We're in the Coast to Coast program through Brownwood so we'll get to go to a lot of cool places this coming up summer.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
js9234

Generator/Elecric Heater Questions

I will be using a Champion Weekend Warrior generator and wondering if it is best to use the generator for heat during the day with a plug in heater or use propane during the day and vice versa? What would you recommend? Speaking of plug in heater, I saw some oil filled heaters at Lowes today and don't know anything about them. Are they better than ceramic? Which one is best for an RV and draws less amps?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
theeyres

Without knowing what the temps might be there is just no way to answer your questions. Minor freezing in the middle of night-28+, no big deal. Nothing will freeze up. 20 and you may have a problem.

All electric heaters will draw the same--if it is a 1500 watt heater it doesn't matter what kind of heater--it's the same heat. Some have better circulating fans than others, but electricity is 100% efficient so it just depends on what you want.

How big is the generator? I'd use it during the day and run the electric heater if it is a big enough generator. Sure will be noisy, though. At night, I like quiet so I'd just bundle up and shut all the heat down.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote