Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Gr8fl_ed

Question Sirius Radio Installation

Ok. So I upgraded my Sirius radio from the first one they made to a newer more stylish and portable one. I got the home docking kit with intent of using it in our new camper ('10 Laredo 303tg). But without running the antenna wire across the floor where it will be tripped over, and out a window, I am not sure how to go about this.
I checked out the entertainment center where the radio, tv, lights, gauges and stuff is, but didn't see any kind of access panel or anything. Matter of fact, I didn't even see a nail or screw holding anything together. Surely they didn't wire the place and glue it all in?! I hate to have to drill a hole in the roof, cuz it's not leaking now and I sure don't want it to later.
Anyone got blueprints, wiring schematics, hidden compartment knowledge or anything? Thanks!
2005 Chevy 2500HD
Reese Dual-Cam HP Sway/Dist system
University of Kentucky spare tire cover

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!
Gr8fl_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Gr8fl_ed

Sorry... this should have probably been in the Tech section. I do apologize.
2005 Chevy 2500HD

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Jim W

If you have the Jensen Radio/CD/DVD player, then there is a face plate that will slip off. Pull this face plate off and you can access the 4 "Roberts" screws that you will need to remove. ( These screws have a square drive recess head) The radio will slip out of the opening and you will need to support the radio once removed. You should be able to access the wiring now and the back of the radio.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Gr8fl_ed

Thanks Jim. But my problem isn't just getting to the back of the radio. I need to get this Sirius antenna outside the camper somehow and run the antenna wire back down to my docking station. I can do the docking station to the Jensen Player with a stereo AUX cord.
I know there is a coax cable coming from the TV antenna, down to the TV. So how is it run? There are wires all over this thing..... I just don't know how to get to them without tearing a brand new camper apart. (My wife may get a little upset over that)

Though there may not be, you would think some of the inards would be accessible.
2005 Chevy 2500HD

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Jim W

I installed my own satellite dish in our camper a little while ago.

What I did was drilled a hole in the slide floor under the entertainment cabinet. I put this in the floor so it is protected when the camper is towed since the slide is closed and is out of site when open. I used a camper style "F" connector that has a weather protected cap.

I would look at installing some type of "F" style connector for your antenna. Then install the antenna and reinstalling the antenna whenever you camp. This is what I do with my satellite dish.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Gr8fl_ed

Thanks again Jim. I do believe Sirius has a F connector type of adapter. I had forgotten about that and will look into it. Thanks
2005 Chevy 2500HD

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!