Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
jasin1

Campground etiquette

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1...un-seized.html

Crazy world…wish we could all relax a little more…myself included
Old 12-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
Javi

I'm about as relaxed as the law allows and even though me and nearly everyone else in this campground is carrying; no one is excited in the least.

Excited is not our thing
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Those folks were old enough to know better; maybe something "else" was involved? I'm wound pretty tight but DW has hammered me for so long that some of my "windings" seem to have broke. Many/most of the folks I know carry so it's a fools game to "whoop out a weapon" and just point it - pure foolish or maybe drunk.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I don't know anyone in Texas who carries so I give everyone the finger and stick out my tongue at 'em. Nothing more fun than camping in Maryland and brandishing and spending the rest of your vacation in the hoosegow.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
jasin1

What is the best way to handle inconsiderate neighbors? Someone parks on your site? I’d have a talk with them first but then what? Call a ranger or park office? Or just let it go?…life is short and choosing your battles wisely would make the most sense…but I don’t always choose sensibly
Old 12-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I don’t know if that occured in the cg or across the road in the mobile home park. Both places are ""pretty sketchy ". If you read the reviews on the cg it sounds more like a hobo camp than a real cg. Thing is, there's stupid people everywhere. As for the gun, well with some of the current crop of state's attorney's the person likely was released the same day.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
jasin1

Ahh ok I thought it was a regular campground
Old 12-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Ahh ok I thought it was a regular campground
That's what I was saying, not sure if it was the cg or not. The cg was always run down but from the reviews I've read the last decade it's turned into almost all long term residents working construction. My neice's husband was a county cop down that way for years and he used to tell stories of the knucklehead idiots down there before he went to the auto theft unit. East of there (maybe 10 miles or so) is a lovely town called Chesapeake Beach. Nice homes, nice town.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

All need to be aware that "campground etiquette" may or may not continue as long time RVers would think. As we've discussed TONS of new folks are coming on with ZERO idea of what is expected in an RV campground. Whether it's dog leashes, pick up after them, walking through sites, loud noise....they are coming in with their "city/ghetto" ways.

The lady that owns this park, our friend, has enlarged it 3 fold. Many of the folks coming in are newbies or those looking for a cheap place to live; neither is optimal but so far it's been OK. My surprise is the number of people that are opting for an RV as their primary home.... Visited with a nice guy this afternoon while smoking a brisket; just went FT on the 29th of Nov. Trying to get his bearings and learn stuff. Him, DW and 2 pups; looked maybe mid 50s. Traveling ER nurses but said retired and going to see the country after selling everything they owned.

The folks in the parks are changing, their experience level is dropping and with many you will encounter a "city" attitude vs what we have all been used to in the past. Just trust, verify and be prepared because the landscape IS changing.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
All need to be aware that "campground etiquette" may or may not continue as long time RVers would think. As we've discussed TONS of new folks are coming on with ZERO idea of what is expected in an RV campground. Whether it's dog leashes, pick up after them, walking through sites, loud noise....they are coming in with their "city/ghetto" ways.

The lady that owns this park, our friend, has enlarged it 3 fold. Many of the folks coming in are newbies or those looking for a cheap place to live; neither is optimal but so far it's been OK. My surprise is the number of people that are opting for an RV as their primary home.... Visited with a nice guy this afternoon while smoking a brisket; just went FT on the 29th of Nov. Trying to get his bearings and learn stuff. Him, DW and 2 pups; looked maybe mid 50s. Traveling ER nurses but said retired and going to see the country after selling everything they owned.

The folks in the parks are changing, their experience level is dropping and with many you will encounter a "city" attitude vs what we have all been used to in the past. Just trust, verify and be prepared because the landscape IS changing.
The sad part to me, is that it’s not just the campground etiquette that is changing (and not for the better!). It’s all the etiquette in general with campers. There was a post on the FB page of the brand camper we currently own that was stating to people to please have some common courtesy/ follow the etiquette rules of rest areas, and not put out your slides when stopped because the camper then takes up more room than one marked spot and truckers cannot get in for their required/ mandated down time. The pushback and “me first” attitude by a huge group of the newbies was, quite frankly, astonishing and horrifying. Their reasoning was that they were there first, have just as much right to be stopped for the night as any truckers, and since they “need” to put their slide out for the bed (and the kitchen slide so they could eat) they were going to no matter how it inconvenienced anyone else. Basically, many were saying screw the truckers, they don’t matter. I’m frightened for what this means for our camping future, because I can’t see that attitude ending well for all campers who will be lumped together as a bunch of “@$$holes”.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyn View Post
We started RVing in 2005. Both the wife and I are permitted to carry a weapon. We both carry all the time. We have never had and issue in any RV park we have stayed in. However we do not stay in just any RV park. We have been in and stayed in almost every State except the far West Coast. I firmly believe everyone today should be trained properly to use a deadly weapon. We actually have a shooting range by the Log House. Which is used. Every sign on my property means exactly what it says. Everyone is welcome those who come on my property to steal or do harm to myself or anyone in my family knows what will happen. It is not a threat, it is a promise.

I will say this, "Never Ever Pull a deadly Weapon", unless you are prepared to take a life. There is no excuse, PERIOD. I haven't hunted since I returned from Vietnam in May 68, I do encourage people to hunt, but, not for sport. People have killed many deer on our property, over the years. There is always a weapon in reach, every room in our Log House has a loaded weapon within reach. All our kids and grandkids have been trained in the proper use of a deadly weapon all our adult kids are permitted to carry a weapon. I will NEVER EVER give up my weapons. I stay away from any business or place that don't allow weapons. In the last few years our churches, have armed security, not in uniform, but they are there, and trained. Today in many places YOU are not safe. Be prepared! Yes, I do have those Black rifles also. This is my opinion. Be safe.

The RV park we are in now, has very strict rules. YOU don't obey the rules, YOU will be told to leave. PERIOD. Adelaide Shores RV Resort is one of the cleanest and best kept that way we have stayed in.

Happy trails.

Keep in mind this is NOT a weapons, nor a permit to carry, nor a 'look how bad I am' website. This is about RV's period. Take your diatribe elsewhere.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Keep in mind this is NOT a weapons, nor a permit to carry, nor a 'look how bad I am' website. This is about RV's period. Take your diatribe elsewhere.

What the heck is a "diatribe" Ain't that one of those little swimming critters that get in fossils? BTW: Lindy's comments were pretty much in the context of the two ding bats who got into it at some RV park where a pistol was pulled. Golly, the new year seems to have made me a little bit older and deeper in debt.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
What the heck is a "diatribe" Ain't that one of those little swimming critters that get in fossils? BTW: Lindy's comments were pretty much in the context of the two ding bats who got into it at some RV park where a pistol was pulled. Golly, the new year seems to have made me a little bit older and deeper in debt.

George I was feeling "old enough" with the New Year then you had to bring Tennessee Ernie Ford into it - most folks nowadays never heard of him...
Old 01-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
George I was feeling "old enough" with the New Year then you had to bring Tennessee Ernie Ford into it - most folks nowadays never heard of him...
And, even fewer have been in a "Company Store"... There's one in Beckley, WV, with a city owned campground around the corner. Going "down into the coal mines" and sitting in the church or schoolhouse are interesting.... When we were last there, as we drove back to the campground, that song was playing on the radio....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And, even fewer have been in a "Company Store"... There's one in Beckley, WV, with a city owned campground around the corner. Going "down into the coal mines" and sitting in the church or schoolhouse are interesting.... When we were last there, as we drove back to the campground, that song was playing on the radio....
Amazon will end up being the new “company store” they are expanding into every aspect of our life…phones commerce and future space travel
They are advertising for “Amazon Air” now…guess it’s product delivery but could morph into passenger travel…a whole lot of people work for Amazon now..I guess they also shop on Amazon with employee discounts…the new “company store”

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...d-count-2021-7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB6F3A51-507B-477F-9A6D-D96CC1E84976.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	37716  
Old 01-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #16
Cascadia

Quote:

That was some serious chest thumping! We live alone on a private lake so of course we have a shotgun for protection but we don't go full on Yosemite Sam about it!
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #17
Lindyn

Thinks for your opinion! Happy trails!
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
That was some serious chest thumping! We live alone on a private lake so of course we have a shotgun for protection but we don't go full on Yosemite Sam about it!
The poet Hank Jr. sang,

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive"

Ain't go any kids living with us anymore.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #19
Lindyn

Quote:

. Thanks for your opinion! I’m just truthful! Happy trails!
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Weapons threads are not permitted on this RV website. We have Canadian members and Canada prohibits firearms ownership. This thread is turning into “I have” “I carry” and if it continues I will lock this one too. If you look at my signature you will clearly see I am retired LEO, but I don’t talk about what I may or may not have, carry or use.

That is the simple truth, and happy trails to all!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground