Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
BeemerJoe

Generator upkeep

I know the old adage that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" BUT. I just purchased a "new to me" 2016 Fuzion Chrome. Absolutely love it. Everything is in perfect condition. My concern is the Onan Generator. Right now it runs flawlessly but has 1067 hours on it. Of course the first thing I've done is change the oil and filter, but I'm wondering if that's a lot of hours on a 5 year generator, and if there's anything that I should do to make it last as long as possible.
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
jasin1

I start my generators up and exercise them when I remember to..should be once a month but I procrastinate https://www.thervgeeks.com/onan-rv-g...r-maintenance/
Old 12-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I would keep some Stabil in the gas tank. The carburetor's main jet is likely at the bottom of the bowl where the ethanol goo is prone to accumulate.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
BeemerJoe

Yep did that. had to disassemble and clean my aux fuel pump because of the gunk. Fortunately the generator doesn't seem to have a problem.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I would keep some Stabil in the gas tank. The carburetor's main jet is likely at the bottom of the bowl where the ethanol goo is prone to accumulate.

On this note... If you don't know what fuel is in the generator tank... I would run it all out and put only Non-Ethanol fuel in the tank. (stabil isn't a bad idea even with non-E fuel for storage during the off season)
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
BeemerJoe

Non Ethanol sounds good, but hard to find in this area.. I just run Premium and Stabil. Been pretty lucky with that combo on all my small engines
My original question was what if any "mechanical' thing I Could do to add to the generators life. Such as Valve adjustment, or get it completely gone over by a qualified tech. Or like I said.. Just leave it alone.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Non Ethanol sounds good, but hard to find in this area.. I just run Premium and Stabil. Been pretty lucky with that combo on all my small engines
My original question was what if any "mechanical' thing I Could do to add to the generators life. Such as Valve adjustment, or get it completely gone over by a qualified tech. Or like I said.. Just leave it alone.
"If it ain't broke"

In my experience the higher hour generators actually seem to be better mechanically than the ones that never get ran. I put 2500hrs on the 5500 Onan in my old Raptor and the thing purred like a kitten.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
BeemerJoe

That's what I've heard.. Just overthinking everything I guess. from talking to others, 1000 hours on the rig really isn't all that high.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
That's what I've heard.. Just overthinking everything I guess. from talking to others, 1000 hours on the rig really isn't all that high.

If that's the only power source its astonishing how quickly the hours add up.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
Mongoose9400

Not bad at all. That’s like 44 days of use. I'll add 50+ hours of use to mine over a weekend boon docking at an event where I need to keep the generator on nonstop. Just sick to manufactures recommended maintenance and exercise it monthly.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
On this note... If you don't know what fuel is in the generator tank... I would run it all out and put only Non-Ethanol fuel in the tank. (stabil isn't a bad idea even with non-E fuel for storage during the off season)

Some folks don't have a source for non-ethanol. Noticed a few stations in San Antonio now sell it at the pump but that is a real long drive for me and the stuff is expensive. I generally fill 4 or 5 five gallon containers once every now and again and run in the mower, my tractor and the generator. I run the generator infrequently so Stabil is a better answer for me. If I could fill the gas containers without a 50 mile or so trip, that might work but I can't.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
Essvar

Quote:
Some folks don't have a source for non-ethanol. Noticed a few stations in San Antonio now sell it at the pump but that is a real long drive for me and the stuff is expensive. I generally fill 4 or 5 five gallon containers once every now and again and run in the mower, my tractor and the generator. I run the generator infrequently so Stabil is a better answer for me. If I could fill the gas containers without a 50 mile or so trip, that might work but I can't.
I’ll consider myself lucky, even with everything going sideways in Oregon with green/clean and no viable way to actually power it. I do still have a few non-eth stations on the pump close by. One even gives a 40c/gal discount if you buy 25gal. The bugger with these toy haulers is finding a station with non-e you can get into… and the generator tanks are built in feeding the onboard. My hauler has a 30g gen tank, and 30g aux fuel tank. That’s a lot 5gal at a time
Old 12-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
I feel your pain. I try to fill a couple of 5 gallon cans with non-ethanol when I drive over to Louisiana. I recently found a station in Port Arthur that has a non-ethanol pump. I'm thinking that will work for filling the boat. It has 50 gallons of gas in it that is at least 1 year old. It is heavily dosed with Startron and Chevron Marine Stabilizer but...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator