Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
wegone

Killed my plans....

Well you might recall my wife and I had planned to yank the trailer down from Washington to Southern California to spend the holidays with the kids and grand kids, this month, returning in January.

Nope, the cost of gas and the uncertainty of it if the supply chain spills over into energy issues, caused us to cancel.

Told the RV resort, sorry, but we need to back out of our reservations.

We are still going down, but taking the car (35mpg) and making other arrangements.

I hope we can get back to normal soon, we already have 4 trips planned next year, the biggest one back to Yellowstone again, as the kids bought their first trailer and will meet us there at the Westgate KOA.

Anybody else changing plans because of inflated fuel, etc, cost?
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Well you might recall my wife and I had planned to yank the trailer down from Washington to Southern California to spend the holidays with the kids and grand kids, this month, returning in January.

Nope, the cost of gas and the uncertainty of it if the supply chain spills over into energy issues, caused us to cancel.

We are still going down, but taking the car (35mpg) and making other arrangements.

I hope we can get back to normal soon, we already have 4 trips planned next year, the biggest one back to Yellowstone again, as the kids bought their first trailer and will meet us there at the Westgate KOA.

Sorry that's happening to you, but no.

While we had to recently change trip plans it has been because of deaths and illness of people whom we are at least partially responsible.

Life goes on regardless of monetary costs.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
notanlines

And the meek shall inherit the earth.
No, Eddie, we haven’t. Dig deeper for that sense of adventure. You keep planning to do so and so someday is catching up with you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Like those above I have not, and will not, be changing plans due to our seemingly non stop "emergencies". Only got a finite number of days to do fun stuff so......off we go! DW and I just discussed this yesterday; why save the money - worry about the kids inheritance??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Sorry but I don’t recall your previous plans. There are too many variables to compare and contrast for anyone to make an educated guess on whether my changing travel plans or not has any remote link to anyone else's plans.

Some may have money to burn while others are on a tight budget. Someone with extra capacity fuel tanks will be less impacted than domeone with a 20 something gallon stock tank if a remote area doesn’t have fuel. Some would sacrafice anything to get to an ill or dying person and some would forfeit a "mini vacation" for higger or better things.

The bottom line is you have to do whatever is right for you. No one else has your specific set of circumstances.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

In 2012 we towed our Springdale fifth wheel to Montana and then down through Colorado and Kansas. At the time, fuel prices were in the $3.50-4.50 range. We budgeted $5 per gallon and paid that in a few places.

The fuel pricing today is still averaging less than in 2012.

Looking at saving money vs doing what we want, fortunately, it's still cheaper than in the past and we did it "back then". No plans to delay when it's still a "bargain when compared to..."

So, for us, it's "suck it up and keep going".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Last year we had favorable fuel prices, this year they were higher. Next year who knows? We don’t change our plans because of it, but can be flexible/creative with meals if need be. If you wait until the “time is right” that time may never come, and before you know it life has passed you by.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
jasin1

I am moving one Florida reservation out to February but that’s because I have a lot going on right now..have to pull the boats soon and deal with shrink wrap and winterize that takes me a good week or so. Have a lot going on with my business this time of year also ..Going to do a closer trip before Christmas
I don’t think I’d ever cancel a trip because of fuel prices personally but everyone as Marshall pointed out has their own issues and concerns.

I look at it like your only paying the difference between what is acceptable to you normally and what it is now…couple a hundred bucks?…life is short and 10 years from now you may be wishing you took more trips while you were able to
Old 11-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
Canonman

As we are making our plans for the 2022 season, My DW and I had a similar discussion over increasing costs.
We looked at it this way. We paid tens of thousands of dollars for our Cougar. We paid similar tens of thousands for our Ram. we'll be dipped if we.re going to let a couple of dollars increase in fuel prices stop us from enjoying that investment.
We are all in line waiting for that final ride "Home". We don't know where we are in that line or how long the line is so we better enjoy the journey while we can. Others with different circumstances may feel differently and will make their plans accordingly. For us, it's travel as much and as often as time allows while we still can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_r_mu7UtpR3UeGPYYqqhBYQ.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	37051  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Skillet173

I am getting my new Fuzion 419 next week. Unfortunately my new Chevy 3500HD DRW Duramax HC is still being “conceived”. BUT once it gets here we are traveling!!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

When I retired in ‘08 we were planning our cross country trip. Diesel fuel went from $2.75/ga to $5.20/gal about 4 months prior. Kids asked what we were going to do, I said spend more on fuel and less on trinkets, It did come back down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:18 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When I retired in ‘08 we were planning our cross country trip. Diesel fuel went from $2.75/ga to $5.20/gal about 4 months prior. Kids asked what we were going to do, I said spend more on fuel and less on trinkets, It did come back down.
On our 5.5 month trip this year we pretty much did the same. The DW cut back on buying junk that she didn't really need and we made most of our meals instead of going out to lunch and dinner a few times a week. In reality we probably spent about the same or less then we usually do on our annual trip even with the insane fuel prices. One thing is the states we visited for the most part did not have crazy taxes on Diesel and I can' remember paying over $3.75 a gallon the whole time. SO I guess location does matter.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:57 AM   #13
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
And the meek shall inherit the earth.
Rush 2112!!!!! Love it!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:59 AM   #14
xrated

Just as a reference point... In late Oct, 2010 I bought my first ever diesel truck. In our area of the country (E. Tennessee), diesel fuel was $2.89/gallon. Last year in the same area, we were averaging $2.15/gallon to $2.35/gallon.....with lots of fluctuating prices in the years in between to two reference points. When we started planning (Aug. 2020) for our trip out west in Sept. 2021, we were still hoping for the same prices, or close to them for our trip. When we left here on Sept. 8th, the onboard diesel fuel had been bought for around $2.50/gallon. OK and Texas saw some prices in the $1.99 range and the highest we encountered was in Moab, UT..$3.96/gallon. All told, we went through approx. 625 gallons of fuel for the 51xx miles and averaged just over $3.00/gallon for the entire trip. That average is approx. 13 cents a gallon more than the price I was paying at the time I purchased our first diesel truck in late 2010.....$2.89

Just as a side note, having added the 60 gallon aux. tank in the bed of the truck certainly added to the flexibility to be able to purchase fuel at places WE chose to buy it, vs. when we needed/had to have it. Using Gas buddy helped a lot at looking at fuel prices up ahead of where we were headed. And example of that is that when we were headed over to the Moab, UT area and saw that diesel was right at $4.00/gallon. So enroute to Moab, we stopped when we really didn't have to, and filled the truck and aux. tank completely full at $3.49/gallon.

So unless diesel gets to the point that it is over $5 or $6 a gallon, it really isn't going to impact me very much. BTW, that 51xx mile trip out west, from the time we left home till the time we returned home....mountain driving, flatland driving, sight seeing in the National Parks, etc...netted me an average of 8.2 mpg of diesel.....and that was with a CrewCab Dually towing a large 5ver. GCVWR coming in at right around 29,000 lbs total.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #15
dutchmensport

My plans are not changing, simply, because we don't have any plans yet!

Shortly after September 11, 2001, fuel prices went insane and stayed there for quite a while. The economy whet insane, things went insane. People were insane, were afraid to spend money on anything, and thousands upon thousands of people lost their jobs. The mortgage industry fell apart, folks lost their homes, business collapsed. It was a very frightening time to live through, if you are old enough to remember it.

We decided with the uncertainty of the national economy, the political climate at that time, the threat of terrorism on the top of everyone's list and the cost of fuel and the horrible rising cost of fuel literally drove us powerless, we decided to just camp in Indiana, our home state.

We figured, if people come from all over the world to visit Indiana State Parks, right in our own back yard, why shouldn't we look at Indiana State Parks through new eyes. So we decided to set a goal, and that goal was to camp in every Indiana State Park and State Recreation area in Indiana until we've hit every single one of them. So we did.

Over the next 5 years, we traveled week-end trips and the 2 week Summer vacations at Indiana State Parks and never traveled more than 200 miles in any one direction. It was an affordable way to continue camping, and we were never threatened over the cost of fuel or the availability of fuel. We just had to plan it a little smarter and compulsive spending had to stop so we could save for 'camping' and fuel to get there.

We made sure we always had a full tank, and we never traveled any farther than 1 tank of gas (one way). It worked. And we had a fantastic time "camping" and learned a lot about Indiana we never realized, even though Indiana is our home state, and both of us born and raised here.

So you know what, maybe this is the time to re-discover your own back yard. The situation we all are in may be different than September 11, 2021, but the fear of uncertainty is just as real. You don't need to let "fear" drive you. "Fear" is what terrorists use, and if you buy into the fear, you also find yourself powerless, paralyzed, and cheat yourself out of what "could have been". Cast out that fear and keep camping! Don't let anything get you down.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #16
travelin texans

We sold our RV when we bought a modular home in a RV resort with the plan to travel in the car which gets 30+ mpg on the hiway only to find that what we didn't spend on fuel is more than spent on hotel rooms. Yep! you can find rooms for under $100, but not one you'd want spend the night in, well maybe I might, but not the DW.
What we spent in fuel & RV park fees is now probably a few dollars more for hotels & food with less for fuel so it's about a wash. Other than it's NOT my bed now as it was then which is a big deal to us.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #17
Javi

As a note... I plan on rolling into the grave with a 5th of good bourbon and a quarter, having spent my last dollar as I passed.
My kids were raised right and can take care of themselves.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
wegone

Haha nice to see folks here are like salmon....
Keep going even if you went up the wrong stream

We are still making the trip and enjoying the main reason we are going....our kids and grand kids, so that is not being forfeited at ANY COST.

We got so much out of our trailer this year, what, 8 or 9 trips, I feel lucky compared to those who only get one or two.
And again, we have some already booked next year, I am not quitting.

I was just curious if any body else was changing plans, really not expecting a sermon on the mount

Ya all is hardcore, tough crowd, I am afraid a two drink minimum wouldn't even get you in the mood to laugh around here....mercy....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

We are still making the trip and enjoying the main reason we are going....our kids and grand kids, so that is not being forfeited at ANY COST.

We got so much out of our trailer this year, what, 8 or 9 trips, I feel lucky compared to those who only get one or two.

I was just curious if any body else was changing plans, really not expecting a sermon on the mount

Ya all is hardcore, tough crowd, I am afraid a two drink minimum wouldn't even get you in the mood to laugh around here....mercy....

Having received some "sermons on the mount" in my lifetime I didn't find one here (or a sermon), just some thoughts on your question;

"Anybody else changing plans because of inflated fuel, etc, cost?"

and commentary on your decisions;

"Nope, the cost of gas and the uncertainty of it if the supply chain spills over into energy issues, caused us to cancel.

Told the RV resort, sorry, but we need to back out of our reservations."

The answers provided were from folks that like to RV and understand those costs. Some don't like the costs and choose other alternatives and that is perfectly fine.

Now some might think it's hard to get us in the mood to laugh..... but we're really a bunch of jovial, fun loving, crusty old codgers and joke and laugh all the time around here.......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
jasin1

Quote:

Quote:

Well your title of the post was pretty depressing and the rest of it was kinda doom and gloom…sounded like you were overly worried about supply chain issues and energy costs …cancelled a planned camping trip and “we are hoping things get back to normal soon”

Didn’t sound like you were in the mood for joking and laughing… for all we knew you were looking for a sermon…or some hope

The economy will get better…it always does eventually

Everyday I wake up and think I’m gonna hit one out of the park…I don’t always do but I always wake up expecting to

Sorry you were offended by the responses but no need to label us all as unhappy and preachy..have a great trip!

Tags
led